Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

83.5 Westfalia Temperature Gauge
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
lucianosanchez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:44 pm    Post subject: 83.5 Westfalia Temperature Gauge Reply with quote

Hi all, I am posting here because I have run out of patience with this thing. I've purchased 4 temperature gauges plus the one that came with the van and I still cannot get it to work correctly... I am going to post what happens with each gauge.

1. The original gauge that came with the van when I purchased it. This gauge read the engine temperature PERFECT but the LED constantly blinked. I installed the relay under the dash but the issue still happened.

2. An awesome member here (GreggK) offered to gift me gauge after I posted something on someone else's thread. This gauge resolved my constant blinking issue BUT the gauge read too low and the needle seemed to scrape the backing plate so I would have to tap the dash to get it to move.

3. I purchased one from the classifieds here (ZSI). Gauge arrived but it was faulty. Blinking light operated normal BUT the gauge read too high (almost at the end of the spectrum). Used this thread to troubleshoot and found the gauge to also be faulty also.https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=464113

4. Purchased a gauge from eBay. This gauge also appeared to be faulty. When I plugged it in the LED did not come on at all. Didn't even test the needle with this one. I messaged the seller and he sent me a new one.

5. This is where I am today. Number 5! What ever happened to third time is a charm? haha. Anyway, I received the replacement gauge from the eBay seller plugged it in to the cluster and this one blinks constantly, the same as the original one. I am literally back to step one with the constant blinking light. I have not tested the gauge on this one yet (I haven't driven the van).

So what do I do Sad??

I was planning on "bench testing" the gauges I have out of the van to triple check if they work or not. Does anyone know how to bench test the gauge? I don't think they are 12v...?

Can anyone help me figure this out or provide some tips on what to do, I am pretty upset that with FIVE gauges I still do not have a working outcome Sad

As always, thank you in advance.

[EDIT] I forgot to mention that I have also replaced the blue foil in the cluster with a new Vanagon.org cluster kit.

Luciano

Last edited by lucianosanchez on Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 83.5 Westfalia Temperature Gauge Reply with quote

Have you tested your blue cap like this well-known celebrity?:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RT8Ew43mNg4

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 83.5 Westfalia Temperature Gauge Reply with quote

What makes the light blink? In other words, what is the blinking light telling you?

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lucianosanchez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 83.5 Westfalia Temperature Gauge Reply with quote

E1 wrote:
Have you tested your blue cap like this well-known celebrity?:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RT8Ew43mNg4

This is not an issue with the blue cap that I'm aware of. It is an issue with the gauge or wiring to the gauge. The van is not running hot at all. The cap is fine either way, I tested it with the GoWesty pressure tester couple days ago.

Paulbeard wrote:
What makes the light blink? In other words, what is the blinking light telling you?

The blinking light is meant to tell me that the coolant in the pressurized tank is low (it's not and has a new sensor) OR that the coolant in the engine is too hot (it is not). The issue as stated above is with my gauges; I think. Event after replacing it with 4 different ones...
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 83.5 Westfalia Temperature Gauge Reply with quote

Sorta kinda semi-related in a sense, for the kiddies my van never got hot with a bad blue cap.

Just makes the light blink like a tornado over a Christmas tree display.

Good luck on this. I find it impossible to imagine it's an issue with five bad gauges, but am pretty gullible.

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 83.5 Westfalia Temperature Gauge Reply with quote

Yeah..............

5 bad gauges?
What happens when you test the wire that feeds the gauges? I dont profess to know anything about this stuff (Im a horticulturalist). I do know that by the time I have a third bad alternator, I start to suspect theres another issue. BTDT recently.
Im gonna say the two that blink in similarity are probably your best bets and theres some other issue at hand. Look beyond the gauge. Worst thing that could happen is u completely understand the system and can help the next owner of an 83.5 westfalia van.

Someone here knows the values produced by VW tester 1301 used to troublesjoot the coolant temp display. Id be tempted to run a meter btw the sender and ground to see what happs as the temp rises.

Beyond that I can empathise with anyone that removes the foil. I was contending with that this evening while my kids were in swim practice. You should have seent he face on the guy in the waiting room when I came in with my dash display in my hand. He was more than a little surprised.

-------------------------------------------------------
85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
64, 71, 72, 73, 76, 81, 84, 85 & 87 Campmobiles and Westfalias
and a 67 bug.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:48 am    Post subject: Re: 83.5 Westfalia Temperature Gauge Reply with quote

I strongly suspect your blue foil or connections to it.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
B.O.B.Wanders
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: 83.5 Westfalia Temperature Gauge Reply with quote

Look upstream from the gauge. If I recall on a 1.9L the blinking can either be from overheating (check the coolant temp sender) or low coolant level (check coolant level sender in expansion tank). Work back from there. Wiring? A grounding issue?

"It feels good to be lost in the right direction” - unknown
lucianosanchez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: 83.5 Westfalia Temperature Gauge Reply with quote

I agree that 5 bad gauges is unlikely. So is there a way to test each gauge out of the van? It is far easier to troubleshoot the cars cooling system and components once I know that the gauge that's in there is good. So does anyone know how to test the gauge out of the van?
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: 83.5 Westfalia Temperature Gauge Reply with quote

Your cluster should have a voltage stabilizer. Check that for delivering 9.5-10.5 volts.

Your level sender is either on or off, they do crack and go bad, also get corroded.

The temp sender is simply a variable ground.

Check your wiring connectors for corrosion, also tgat the sender is well grounded.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: 83.5 Westfalia Temperature Gauge Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Your cluster should have a voltage stabilizer. Check that for delivering 9.5-10.5 volts.

This is where my stoopid upper-quarter rises up like a tire-smoke signal.

Question, please... I presume one puts the pos and neg probes of a multi-meter or similar on the (removed?) stabilizer, but on what setting?

Thanks Dave.

— Colin Chapman
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: 83.5 Westfalia Temperature Gauge Reply with quote

I only have an 86 cluster, I do know the earlier ones are different but.....

Here is my cluster.....

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

A closeup of the voltage regulator....

The terminals are marked but I don't know the key to what they mean.

One leg of the three is energized by the ignition key, the other go to power the gauges and idiot lights..... the third???

It should be a simple matter of probing the terminals with a DC volt meter, one should be 12v + the others should read within specs.

Looking at the blue foil, my guess is that terminall 088 is 12 v power.

Dave.

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle

Last edited by djkeev on Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: 83.5 Westfalia Temperature Gauge Reply with quote

Thanks, Dave!

Still missing on personal capacity...

Example, to test my battery I use the 20 setting on DCV.

Same setting here?

In general I don't quite get what setting to use for what. I presume one uses 20 DCV as it's the first setting above 12 volts? Laughing

— Colin Chapman
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: 83.5 Westfalia Temperature Gauge Reply with quote

Yep! ^^

Start at a test setting higher than anticipated.

No 12v system will be above 20 v
But once you probe and the meter only reads 5v change your meter limit to get a more accurate reading.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: 83.5 Westfalia Temperature Gauge Reply with quote

The little voltage regulator device has 3 legs.

One leg is ground in.
One leg is nominal 12 volts in.
One leg is stabilized 10 volts out.

Inside the temp gauge is a tiny circuit board for the blinking light. The circuit board needs a clean ground and 10 volts for it to work as intended. The voltage to the gauge must not be much higher or lower than 10 volts, within .5 volt of 10 volts.

Problems with the gauge reading and/or blinking light issues can be ground related as well as 10 volt related. Also problems elsewhere with the cluster and/or cluster wiring can affect test readings and behavior of the temp gauge functions. This makes it tricky for a novice to measure everything in ways that give good results and to understand what they are seeing.

One test hint. When you turn on the key the light should blink a few times and then stop blinking, for at least several seconds of stoppage. If it never stops, the problem is up front. If it stops and then soon starts again the problem is likely in the engine compartment. This test is just with key on, not starting engine.

Mark
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: 83.5 Westfalia Temperature Gauge Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
The terminals are marked but I don't know the key to what they mean.

^That is for the original ITT TCA700Y.

Replacement info: http://www.cabby-info.com/gauges.htm#Stabilizer (yes, the Cabriolets use the exact same stabilizer).
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lucianosanchez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: 83.5 Westfalia Temperature Gauge Reply with quote

I have a pretty new vanagon.org cluster kit but I will check the voltage stabilizer when I get home. On the kit, it is easy to check since they left it on the outside of the enclosure.

I've already replaced all the spade connectors on the ground stars and verified I'm getting good grounds, but I can double check this. Anyone know where the ground for the cluster goes to exactly? I also replaced the connection on the sender. I replaced the level sensor as well even though the old one was good (I tested it).

Why would I be getting different results with different gauges though? One of the gauges worked fine as far as the LED goes but read too high of a temperature on the needle. I tested the gauge using the resistor tricks on the engine side and it turned out to be a bad gauge according to the thread.

crazyvwvanman wrote:

One test hint. When you turn on the key the light should blink a few times and then stop blinking, for at least several seconds of stoppage. If it never stops, the problem is up front. If it stops and then soon starts again the problem is likely in the engine compartment. This test is just with key on, not starting engine.
Mark

With the gauge mentioned above the light worked perfect. It would flash when I grounded the temperature wire to the body and/or when I shorted both wires on the level sensor. This makes me believe that the wiring on the van is fine; but I could be wrong. Thoughts?
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: 83.5 Westfalia Temperature Gauge Reply with quote

Thanks for the info!

— Colin Chapman
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: 83.5 Westfalia Temperature Gauge Reply with quote

Hells yeah. This was a great post. I had the same Q as E1 and having a funky fuel guage have wondered about the famed resistor behind the dash display. Well now I know. Ill be testing mine this evening at swim practice. Fun ahead.

I see this info on page 19.20 or so in the Bentley. Sometimes Bentley speaks in tongues.

-------------------------------------------------------
85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
64, 71, 72, 73, 76, 81, 84, 85 & 87 Campmobiles and Westfalias
and a 67 bug.
lucianosanchez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: 83.5 Westfalia Temperature Gauge Reply with quote

Last night I did some testing. The voltage stabilizer on the Vanagon.org kit is working correctly. I get 12V on the left pin and 9.90-9.91V on the right prong. I also tested the voltage at the temp gauge screws and got the same 9.90.

With one gauge in the cluster and another gauge on the dash with alligator clips connecting the three prongs I got different results. The gauge in the cluster kept blinking after the 5 second startup while the one connected with alligator clips stopped after 5 seconds. To me, this tells me that the components in the Vangon.org kit are working right.

I also verified that I was getting good ground on all of the ground connections on the cluster pins. Both grounds are getting good continuity.

Could this be an issue with the relay for the gauge? A while ago I noticed that the van did not have one so I went to my FLAPS and purchased one. Can anyone confirm that my van does indeed need one?

Anything else I can try? Thanks
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: