Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

68 DC
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
type241
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:34 pm    Post subject: 68 DC Reply with quote

I started doing some of the metal work on my 68 DC Neptune Blue with blue interior. I thought I would try and document this build as a Bay Window DC is a very difficult VW to fix correctly with the limited parts out there. This is by far the most difficult metal work I have ever done. The way DC's of this era are built makes it brutal work. Vert beetles are a piece of cake compared to this.

All the parts whether Klassicfab, Autocraft, Alan Schoefield need major reshaping or modifiy to even be remotely close to fitting. All curves, flanges needed help. Even having to make some pieces by using Split window DC and TIG welding correct flanges and seal edges.

The rear corners had been smashed and drilled with holes and pulled/stretched long ago. Thne fiberglass , screen , bondo, rivets. The drivers was very dented causing drivers long panel to buckle. I wanted to see how bad of metal I could fix without removal. Lots of heating/shrinking hammering. I wish I had a pic before. It is light years better now. Even got the buckle out of the side. With no filler yet.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by type241 on Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
type241
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 DC Reply with quote

Removing the two inner rockers is a lot of work without messing up the floor especially a DC under the rear seat and gas tank area. Wanted to leave as much OG floor as possible. It is impossible to replace both inner rockers of a Bay Window without removing lower pillars even if they are good. I ended up cutting the new inner strengthener in half that way I could save the C pillar which not available and a very complicated part to make. The outer rocker is NOS but it didn't have the drainage dimples so I had to add them. The outer b pillar is one of the modified parts I made TIG welding new flanges at the correct depths.

Hand making floor patch around c pillar.

Checking profile of b pillar to rusty original

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: