Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1971 411
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Guam411
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:27 am    Post subject: 1971 411 Reply with quote

1971 411, in Guam....I need an ECU......any advice?

Car seems to bee running fine, drove it around transmission smooth, decent HP, but then all of a sudden it died when close to idle.

A few times 0 turn over, let it sit turns over......runs good then again towards idle dies out.

if I turn over don't drive at idle stays on.......

VW mech says ECU, he's pretty reliable........what do you all think?

Ray thanks for your response, I was thinking along those lines.

The correlation is with braking at idle, however I got to a point where it would not turn over. I would love to hear more about the Jetronic trouble shooting.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 411 Reply with quote

Hello Guam411!

There is a lot to cover so we will get started.

In general....the ECU on the D-jet system is so tough that having a failed ECU is incredibly rare. With age...yes...you can get a cold solder joint crack here or there on the circuit board...or a burned out component....but in all of my working on what has to be a thousand systems by now...I have never seen that happen. I just know it can and a very few other people have had this problem...over 40 years of working on them.

The only other common causes of an ECU dying are getting wet or a huge voltage spike. Also very uncommon.

In general if it starts and runs at all....its not the ECU. However...its very common that the wires between the ECU and components can be bad or making poor connections.

Here are some basics:

1. There is not one single wire in the system that can be disconnected, broken or poorly connected and run normally. There is no "junk" in this system.

2. There is not one single vacuum line or gasket or boot that is allowed to be leaking even in a minor way. This system uses vacuum to set fuel mixture.

This includes:
The seal between throttle body and intake manifold
The boots on the intake runners
The gaskets between runners and heads
The injectors in the intakes
Every single vacuum line and hose must be vacuum tight.
The vacuum hose to the transmission if you have an automatic
The oil cap on the sedans and the dipstick tube and boot on the wagons
The square cork gasket on the oil chimney
The vacuum liens to the heads.
The 12mm vacuum line between the intake manifold and the oil chimney
The vacuum advance can and any vacuum retard and advance lines

MOST especially....the vacuum line to the Manifold pressure sensor n the left side of the engine bay...and the sensor itself must hold vacuum.

There are more but this will get you started.

Also...this sounds like a common issue with fuel supply. There is a sock filter in the gas tank that usually ends up with a pile of silt around it and it clogs intermittently. It will idle fine...but if you rev it it stalls.

In the trunk...on the ledge between the struts is a round circle of carpet in the center. Remove that and under it is the fuel gauge sender. Remove the five screws, the wire and pull the sender unit out.... and with a flashlight...look down in the tank and you can see the filter sock and if its clogged.

The fuel pressure MUST be 28 psi....maximum 30 psi...and it must be stable. The fuel pressure on the system must be exact.

Also..right off the bat...there is a cluster of three double wires right under the center intake manifold. Those are the central grounds for the injectors. Those can cause this symptom. Their connections must be tight and perfect.

Start with this...there is a lot more. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Guam411
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 411 Reply with quote

Wow great information. I'll start with this and let you know how it's going.

R/Brian
Guam411
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 411 Reply with quote

O.K I thought I was making progress. Spent some money and time ensuring vacuum is tight. Your right it isn't the ECU. I drove it about 30 miles, the first 15 were fine, but then slowly the idle at stops began to fade. I put in in neutral while at stop to keep it from dying out. I made it another 15 miles, even up a steep long hill. Transmission on last gear doesn't transfer smoothly (separate issue maybe). Ended up making it all the way home and just as I got in the driveway it stalled at idle. Tried turning over several times but it would not turn over.
I called the mech, he thinks the valves are leaking possibly. There is some grey smoke, not much from exhaust.

I know a lot of issues but this was the longest it has been driven since I've owned it.

Any suggestions? Continue down the vacuum path? or look elsewhere?
Guam411
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 411 Reply with quote

Sorry....I forgot......I let it get cold and it started up first try no problems. So warm engine idle fail and does not restart when warm.
Lars S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 411 Reply with quote

Guam411 wrote:
Sorry....I forgot......I let it get cold and it started up first try no problems. So warm engine idle fail and does not restart when warm.

Can have a number of causes...I would check the resistance of the CHT (cylinder head temperature sensor) fist, quick and easy to do.

Lars S
Suzuki T500, -69, Candy Gold, sold Sad
Suzuki K50, -77, Black, daily driver
BMW R69S -69, White, sold Sad
Husqvarna 118cc, -47, Black, Sold Sad
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 411 Reply with quote

Guam411 wrote:

First....your mechanic is guessing....and that is very bad. The valves have to be adjusted properly. D-jet injection is sensitive to proper valve lash adjustment. Aside from that....its a very easy and common test .....that your mechanic should know.....to do a normal compression test first.....and upon finding leaks.....after properly adjusting the valve lash...perform a "leak down" test. This will tell you if you have valve problems.

But....the problem is that you are running lean.
This is a common problem.....if your engine had a bunch of small vacuum leaks.....and the previous owner or mechanic had adjusted the fuel mixture while it had these vacuum leaks.

This is because a vacuum leak....causes D-jet to run RICH....because the manifold pressure sensor reads and interprets a vacuum leak ....as a throttle movement and gives fuel. So... Once you seal up the vacuum leaks....the MPS reads that as throttle closed and leans out the fuel mixture.

There are several things that can cause lean running. The most important thing first.....

So.... IF....you have no vacuum leaks at this point....especially none that can open up with heat while warming up....then you either have a fuel mixture adjustment problem or a cylinder head temperature sensor issue (called TS-2 in the books) or a fuel pressure problem.

Always fix the fuel pressure FIRST.

Remember I noted that you need to check your fuel pressure. It must be exact....and stable. Meaning when you rev the engine.... the fuel pressure in that split second when you open tbe throttle should not drop more than 1-2 psi.....and only for maybe 1/4 of 1 second. It like the needle just dips a little in the blink of an eye.

When idling.....fuel pressure must be stable.....meaning yes....the needle on the gauge will rattle slightly as fuel is removed from the lines by injectors and replaced by the pump.....but it rattles at idle no more than a +/- 0.5 psi.
When you are revving it up.....say holding the throttle partly open at 2000 rpm....the gauge needle should be rock solid and should be at the set pressure.

This is a FIXED pressure system. Your fuel mixture at any given second is adjusted by the ECU......by multiplying a fixed fuel pressure by injector open TIME. That means how long in milliseconds the injector is held open at a set fuel pressure.

The ECU has no way of knowing what your fuel pressure is. There are no fuel pressure sensors....and no oxygen sensors in the exhaust. So.....it makes its fuel decisons based on vacuum load level and input from two temperature sensors......and ASSUMES that the fuel pressure is stable.

At the factory set level of 28 psi.....each 1 psi accounts for 3.57% of your total fuel mixture. So.....having the fuel pressure be incorrect by say....+/-2 psi....means at any running speed rpm range.....your fuel mixture can be off by -7.14% to +7.14%. Thats a lot.

So make sure that the gauge you or your mechanic is using.....is accurate and has enougj increment markings to be able at worst to read 1 psi increments and even better would be 0.5 increments.

If you find that your fuel pressure is not stable and correct.....first make sure that the power connections at the pump are clean and tight and that it is getting 12 volts. Then make sure the filter is clean.....and also the strainer inside of the fuel tank. This is a common problem. Silt in the tank clogs the fuel strainer inside. I get rid of that filter and put an external 60-100 micron inline diesel strainer outside the fuel tank before the main filter.

You need to then test the pump. It should put out a minimum of about 0.75 liters per minute to about 1.2 liters per minute....usually right at 1.0 liters per minute.....WHILE it is keeping pressure stable at 28 psi.

You can do this by putting a gauge on the test nipple on the fuel rail between # 3 and 4 cylinders. Disconnect the return line that comes from the fuel pressure regulator right where it enters the steel line at the body tunnel. Put the end of it into a graduated jar.

Then....you can either wire the fuel pump with jumper wires straight to the battery.....or run a jumper wire to the fuel pump relay to make the relay points close and run the pump ...WITHOUT turning the engine on. Do this outdoors and keep an extinguisher handy and watch sparks.

The object is to run the pump for one minute....with the fuel pressure regulator inline...so you read fuel volume downstream of the regulator. So you click on the pump....check the gauge to make sure that fuel pressure is correct and stable.....and then with a stopwatch....see how much fuel it puts in the jar in one minute....WHILE keeping it stable at 28 psi.

If the pressure is not stable...and fuel volume in one minute is too low......it does not instantly mean it is the pump. Before you can make that conclusion.....you need to perform a leakdown test on the fuel pressure regulator.
First......if fuel pressure is stable....but not correct......perform the fuel volume test again but adjust the pressure at the fuel pressure regulator with the bolt and locknut on the outside.

Once fuel pressure is adjusted properly.....trigger the pump again to bring fuel pressure back up to 28 psi. Turn off the pump.....and time how long it takes the fuel pressure on the gauge to bleed off.

Typically on a nearly perfect regulator.....when you turn off the pump....fuel pressure immediately drops from 28 psi to about 21-23 psi. Over about 30-60 minutes.....it usually drops to ahout 19-21 psi. Overnight it should not drop below about 13-15 psi.

If when you turn off the pump.....it very quickly drops below 20 psi....like in a few minutes...or if it drops to below 10 psi almost immediately......either the pressure regulator is bad or the check valve in the fuel pump is bad. Both are very common.

To find out which is bad.....you need an assistant. Have your assitant turn on the pump again to bring the pressure back up to 28 psi.....while you get a fuel line clamp ready.....and the second you signal them to shut off the pump....clamp the fuel line hose somewhere between cylinder 4 and the cold start valve.

If the regulator is NOT the problem .....the pressure leakdown time should be normal or similar to what I listed above. If pressure drops off quickly.....the fuel pressure metering plate is bad and you need a new fuel pressure regulator.

I find that about 90% of regulators on cars that have been sitting for a while...especially in humid areas.....like Guam.....are bad. I replace them before I start.

Once you put in a new regulator.....do the normal pressure leak down test again. If the pressure drops down too quickly.....it means the check valve in the pump is bad and you need a new pump. Do not try to find a new stock pump. It is too hard to find, to expensive and not necessary.
Find an E2000 pump from a Ford.

If the fuel pressure is cortect and stable.

The other two things that cause lean running are:
1. Check the resistance of the cylinder head temperature sensor....the single wire sensor screwed into the 3/4 side head......when its stone cold.....and then after warming the car up completely....turn off the engine and check the resistance hot and compare it to the book.

This sensor changes the fuel mixture by by about 10% maybe a little more. As the cylinder head gets hotter.....the resistance of this sensor drops. As it drops....it makes the fuel mixture leaner. It typically drops to about 75-125 ohms when fully warmed up. It does not provide any more leanning out action below 200 ohms. It warm climates......its common to put a 100-150 ohm resistor inline because the sensor normally drops a little to low when fully warmed up.

But....usually if its running lean enough to stall.....it is the action of this sensor....COMBINED.....with either poor adjustment of the manifold pressure sensor and/or fuel pressure stability problems.

So check and fix the fuel pressure FIRST......Then check the head temp sensor. Only after these two things are correct.....and everything else is correct....timing, valve adjustment, power supply, vacuum leaks etc......ard you allowed to adjust the MPS.

We can get into that after you check these things. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Guam411
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 411 Reply with quote

Thanks gents, I will go through the verifications and see how it responds.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 411 Reply with quote

I also suspect the head temp sensor. Check resistance hot especially (unplugged). I also wonder if it is failing at high temps due to an internal failure that opens up, or even a wire that is doing so. A little time with a VOM and wiggling wires may help check for these faults.

I also have been planning for a long while to obtain a fixed resistor of the correct value for "moderately hot" temps, as an on-the-road substitute should I get a failure on a trip, or to diagnose other mixture issues. With the demise of the local Radio Shack, where else is a good source for this resistor?
Lars S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 411 Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
I also have been planning for a long while to obtain a fixed resistor of the correct value for "moderately hot" temps, as an on-the-road substitute should I get a failure on a trip, or to diagnose other mixture issues. With the demise of the local Radio Shack, where else is a good source for this resistor?

Thats a good idea KTPhil!

I have a fixed resistor for cold start, and a fixed one for hot start and driving.
Takes less than one minute to install.

Also I have a fixed resistor (50 Ohm) for "MOT mode", (the yearly inspection with emission test). 50 Ohm simulates that the engine is as hot as it can get and the mixture is leaned out to a minimum.

At last I also have an adjustable ballast resistor (pictured) since my engine is now a 1911cc with 1.7 ECU.

Lars S

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Suzuki T500, -69, Candy Gold, sold Sad
Suzuki K50, -77, Black, daily driver
BMW R69S -69, White, sold Sad
Husqvarna 118cc, -47, Black, Sold Sad
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 411 Reply with quote

Years ago I posted about the variable resister ballast I made for my 412. I finally found the part number for that resistor.

https://www.radioshack.com/products/1k-ohm-15-turn-pc-mount-cermet-potentiometer-trimmer

This is a 1000 ohm variable resistor with 15 turns/increments (about 60-70 ohms per turn). They are very small..maybe 3/4" long, about 1/$" high and about 1/4" wide. Its rated for low wattage but seemed to have no problem.

There is a 10,000 ohm model with 15 turns as well....600-700 ohms per turn.

https://www.radioshack.com/products/radioshack-10k-ohm-15-turn-cermet-potentiometer-trimmer

I mounted it on a small square circuit board that I put inside of a 411/412 headlight relay box. I also made one that could be plugged into the TS-1 inlet air temp sensor box for diagnostics. I will see if I can post a picture later. Ray
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 411 Reply with quote

Here are the pictures of that variable resistor mounted on a circuit board for tuning the TS-1. I have one similar on a skinny board for the TS-2

:

Ray
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: