Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Was there ever an angled adaptor for SP intakes to 1200 heads?
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hanksjim1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:08 am    Post subject: Was there ever an angled adaptor for SP intakes to 1200 heads? Reply with quote

Did anyone ever come up with a simple angled wedge adaptor (or plans for one) to allow single port dual carb manifolds to work on the flat 1200 40 HP heads?

If not, is there some reason it won't work (port sizes, mounting studs, etc)?

I am building a 1385, have a set of NOS square boss 1200 heads and a pair of refurbed baby dells that came with the later single port manifolds.

Would prefer not to have to buy 1300 heads or fabricate custom intakes.

Input from the 40 HP gurus appreciated.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
hanksjim1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Was there ever an angled adaptor for SP intakes to 1200 heads? Reply with quote

Anyone? I can only assume there is some technical reason why a simple adaptor hasn't been used. Please chime in if anyone knows why.
slo356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Was there ever an angled adaptor for SP intakes to 1200 heads? Reply with quote

Thought your same thoughts, but have never seen one.

I believe Volkswagen built more 40hp engined cars through '67 than 25/36hp and 1300/1500's. Yet almost nothing in performance parts has ever really been available for the 1200/40hp's. For example, twin carbs setups are available for everything but not 40hp's. I once asked WW owner why he didn't produce a twin setup like the his offering for 36hp's. He told me not enough demand… Personally I find that hard to believe.

So I don't know why the angled adapter you are suggesting hasn't been produced. Seems like a inexpensive piece that would help the 1200/40hp owners go for twin carbs, the single best thing you can do for a horizontal four.

BUT, I would really like to see a high quality twin carb kit for the good ole 1200/40hp's!
Kjell Roar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:44 am    Post subject: Re: Was there ever an angled adaptor for SP intakes to 1200 heads? Reply with quote

I think you can adapt 36hp intakes into 40hp heads quite easily, depending on tools and skills. 61 and 62 intakes are equal with 36 hp, 63 and newer got 34mm gasket insread of 32mm, bigger intakes.

Riechert got the intakes for 1200, good quality from Germany. Sells complete or parts. Some delivery time, though.

http://www.riechertmotorentechnik.de/en/solex28.htm

My car, Aug. 4th, 1955 / an early 56: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=610438
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: Was there ever an angled adaptor for SP intakes to 1200 heads? Reply with quote

slo356 wrote:

I believe Volkswagen built more 40hp engined cars through '67 than 25/36hp and 1300/1500's. Yet almost nothing in performance parts has ever really been available for the 1200/40hp's. For example, twin carbs setups are available for everything but not 40hp's. I once asked WW owner why he didn't produce a twin setup like the his offering for 36hp's. He told me not enough demand… Personally I find that hard to believe.

So I don't know why the angled adapter you are suggesting hasn't been produced. Seems like a inexpensive piece that would help the 1200/40hp owners go for twin carbs, the single best thing you can do for a horizontal four.

BUT, I would really like to see a high quality twin carb kit for the good ole 1200/40hp's!

Kits still to be found in the Samba Classifieds and reproduced by Alejandro Martin.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: Was there ever an angled adaptor for SP intakes to 1200 heads? Reply with quote

slo356 wrote:

I echo your sentiments 1,000,000,000 times lol. It is frustrating that no one has taken up the cause and repopped some of the critical and/or hard to find parts for our 40 horsers.

Of course it would be icing on the cake to get performance 40 horse parts, but heck I'd settle for things like cylinder heads (bare castings or with all the parts I don't care Smile), crankshafts, intake manifold, pushrods, flywheels.

I really would like to know of there are more 36hp engines still in service or 40s. Seems like the answer to that question, if known, would move the manufacturers to produce whichever parts are going to enhance their economic bottom line.

To the OP this is a great question on the adapter, but I just don't recall ever having seen or heard of anything like this. With such a part available I'm guessing all us guys still limping our rusty crusty plugged up 40 horse intake manifolds along could then use the 1300 and up manifolds? Maybe not though if those manifolds would still be too wide due to the extra width of the later engines they were made for.
earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Was there ever an angled adaptor for SP intakes to 1200 heads? Reply with quote

What if you used a set of PDSIT manifolds and either cut a pie wedge piece out and welded them together or welded the 1200 manifold flange on to the PDSIT manifold, then you could either use the Solex carbs or make a aluminum adapter to mount Weber ICT's Or use your Baby Fred's

I know you don't want to have make a set of manifolds but I don't see any other way.

Casey
05 SCION XB SERIES RELEASE 2[#437]
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
Link to Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
https://time-zonelabs.blogspot.com/p/about-kelly.html
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Was there ever an angled adaptor for SP intakes to 1200 heads? Reply with quote

OK, How about a single two barrel manifold...

this manifold is about 23 1/2" center to center on the head interface, I did not measure the diameter at the head but can if some body want to know let me know. I think with a well tuned Weber 36-40mm DCNF on a 1383 with a header would run great, maybe a cam

Casey
05 SCION XB SERIES RELEASE 2[#437]
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
Link to Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
https://time-zonelabs.blogspot.com/p/about-kelly.html
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
Mr.Ragtop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Was there ever an angled adaptor for SP intakes to 1200 heads? Reply with quote

earthquake wrote:
What if you used a set of PDSIT manifolds and either cut a pie wedge piece out and welded them together or welded the 1200 manifold flange on to the PDSIT manifold, then you could either use the Solex carbs or make a aluminum adapter to mount Weber ICT's Or use your Baby Fred's

I know you don't want to have make a set of manifolds but I don't see any other way.

Casey

I actually pulled a set out of my junk stash thinking of the same idea. I have a few damaged 40hp stock intakes. Figured I could cut the flanges and make a quick set of dual carb intakes. My only concern is the height may be really short.
hanksjim1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Was there ever an angled adaptor for SP intakes to 1200 heads? Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I have been in touch with Alejandro Martin...I was thinking maybe the Sprint Stromberg manifold adaptors (the manifolds are universal, they use adaptors for the 1200 or 13-1600 applications).

Need a bit more info on dimensions to confirm suitability.

A bit spendy at $180. the pair.

My alternative is to just go with 1300 heads. The larger valves might be a bonus and fewer chances of leaks.

Stinde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:21 am    Post subject: Re: Was there ever an angled adaptor for SP intakes to 1200 heads? Reply with quote

40 horse intakes are rare as we know, i have these and never saw other pair tde set for 40 horse? There is also riechert who sell intakes and full sets like they say but they are quite expencive.

hanksjim1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Was there ever an angled adaptor for SP intakes to 1200 heads? Reply with quote

Those look very nice...have you ever driven with them?
Stinde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Was there ever an angled adaptor for SP intakes to 1200 heads? Reply with quote

hanksjim1 wrote:
Those look very nice...have you ever driven with them?

Yes i am, they work real nice! Change after one 30-pict was awesome! I use 34 pci carbs.
PEPPE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Was there ever an angled adaptor for SP intakes to 1200 heads? Reply with quote

contact Feller Service in France, they realize an adaptor for 1300-1500 manifolds https://www.fellerservice.fr/motorisations/speedwell/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hanksjim1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Was there ever an angled adaptor for SP intakes to 1200 heads? Reply with quote

Thanks! I just checked their site out; nice stuff!
Angus Dowrie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:31 am    Post subject: Re: Was there ever an angled adaptor for SP intakes to 1200 heads? Reply with quote

This is a Riechert kit on my '63 Ghia. Last of the stale-air, first of the 34mm inlets. Still 1200cc, 28 PCIs. bought much of it second hand, but the linkage assembly plus a few other minor bits were bought brand new. All parts were still available as of about 12 months ago.

It does make a noticeable difference, but still not a powerhouse.
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Was there ever an angled adaptor for SP intakes to 1200 heads? Reply with quote

That engine is probably one of the top 5 best I've ever seen. It nails the look and spirit of vintage speed! Excellent job!

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: