Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Coil readings
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
i_luv_my_bus76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:47 am    Post subject: Coil readings Reply with quote

I am suspecting a bad coil is the reason my 69 bug will not stay running...

I disconnected the coil...from the + post to the - post I have a resistance reading of 3.6 ohms, which I understand is within spec and normal

From the center port/secondary post (where the ignition wire that goes to the distributor is located) to the positive I'm reading 7100 ohms which seems pretty low to me... I believe the spec is 9500 to 11000 ohms
Should I junk the coil and try a new one or is this not the source of my problem
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Coil readings Reply with quote

Do you have another coil you can try or know someone with one you can try? Would suck to buy one for that not to be the problem. FLAPS like Auto Zone stock a cheap Chinese oil filled coil for under $30. If it ends up being the issue you can get a good one, Bosch Blue coil made in Spain is the best available. I still see some on Rock Auto, look under your 76 bus for them.

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

Careful guys, a petulant child can grow up to be president these days.

**winter drivers: no survivors!**rust warrior**#keepbodyshopsbusy**
David_nc_72std
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Coil readings Reply with quote

i_luv_my_bus76 wrote:

Would you car to describe what you mean by "will not stay running"?
Does it start but then die within seconds, dies after running for a length of time, run at high RPM but dies at idle, etc.

If the car starts and runs for a short time, and does that consistently, I'd doubt there is anything major wrong with the ignition system.
i_luv_my_bus76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Coil readings Reply with quote

ROCKOROD71 wrote:
Do you have another coil you can try or know someone with one you can try? Would suck to buy one for that not to be the problem. FLAPS like Auto Zone stock a cheap Chinese oil filled coil for under $30. If it ends up being the issue you can get a good one, Bosch Blue coil made in Spain is the best available. I still see some on Rock Auto, look under your 76 bus for them.

I have a bosch blue on my bus...i was thinking of pulling it off and connecting it...
i_luv_my_bus76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Coil readings Reply with quote

David_nc_72std wrote:
i_luv_my_bus76 wrote:

Would you car to describe what you mean by "will not stay running"?
Does it start but then die within seconds, dies after running for a length of time, run at high RPM but dies at idle, etc.

If the car starts and runs for a short time, and does that consistently, I'd doubt there is anything major wrong with the ignition system.
Arrow

I can get the motor started but after about 15 to 30 seconds it starts backfiring and then shuts off, no matter how fast the idle is... timing is correct...the coil gets hot but not sure if it is after the first attempt or many attempts
sleeper bird
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Coil readings Reply with quote

My 79 was doing the same thing ignition switch was bad,check and make sure your getting voltage to the positive side of coil.I was getting different voltages on mine sometimes 12v sometimes 9v.
i_luv_my_bus76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Coil readings Reply with quote

sleeper bird wrote:
My 79 was doing the same thing ignition switch was bad,check and make sure your getting voltage to the positive side of coil.I was getting different voltages on mine sometimes 12v sometimes 9v.

Thank you very much I will definitely check for that...my problem is I don't have anyone to crank the motor while I check for voltage Sad
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Coil readings Reply with quote

Did this problem start suddenly or is it something that's gotten progressively worse over time? If suddenly, did you do any work to it right about the time it started giving you trouble? When's the last time you performed a full tune up, including first adjusting your valve lash? Can you keep the engine running by working the throttle?
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:38 am    Post subject: Re: Coil readings Reply with quote

Consider the condenser suspect as well, since they are very susceptible to heat, and they build up heat while performing their day job.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sleeper bird
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:42 am    Post subject: Re: Coil readings Reply with quote

i_luv_my_bus76 wrote:
sleeper bird wrote:

Thank you very much I will definitely check for that...my problem is I don't have anyone to crank the motor while I check for voltage Sad

yea i had to round up my neighbor for that,i did notice that when it did run if you hit or jarred the steering column it would kill when i first got it and got progressively worst ,the switch was sort of hard to troubleshoot due to different voltages i was getting from the coil and the wiring to the ignition switch,every time i checked anything it was different so i said what the hell and ordered a German replacement.Now it cranks first hit every time.And stays running,it was like the switch was not staying in the run position.
i_luv_my_bus76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Coil readings Reply with quote

I changed the coil and put a bosch blue on...i installed a petronix flame thrower distributor...the coil doesn't get burning hit, but the positive and negative battery cables do

Bad starter????
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Coil readings Reply with quote

The cables are hot, during cranking, after cranking or after running awhile?

How long were you cranking for? More than 10 seconds? A well tuned, good running condition engine does not take very much time to start. Long cranck times can cause a kinds of issues. Premature starter failure, premature battery failure, premature alternator/generator failure, fired wiring, burned grounds, compromised ignition switch, on and on. Those were the most common.

Or, are the cables getting hot just sitting or running? If so, have the battery checked out. Sounds like it may be working too hard to keep its charge alive. In which case, an acid bath of your floorpan area is imminent!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
i_luv_my_bus76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Coil readings Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
The cables are hot, during cranking, after cranking or after running awhile?

How long were you cranking for? More than 10 seconds? A well tuned, good running condition engine does not take very much time to start. Long cranck times can cause a kinds of issues. Premature starter failure, premature battery failure, premature alternator/generator failure, fired wiring, burned grounds, compromised ignition switch, on and on. Those were the most common.

Or, are the cables getting hot just sitting or running? If so, have the battery checked out. Sounds like it may be working too hard to keep its charge alive. In which case, an acid bath of your floorpan area is imminent!

Hey Jumbo,

After cranking a few times for a few seconds the battery cables are hot...i haven't got it to run for more than 45 seconds and it takes 2 or 3 attempts to get it to run...last night I pulled the top of my card and replaced the needle and seat thinking maybe my engine was flooding due to a stuck needle
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Coil readings Reply with quote

I always start at the basics. Valve adjustment, compression check.

If it will crank and start, can you keep it running by squirting carb cleaner into the carb? Then you should check quality, quantity and volume of fuel out of the fuel pump. Next is the fuel cut off solenoid, then the carb.

Ignore all that, if you already did that. Waiting for the results of your needle valve r&r.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
i_luv_my_bus76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Coil readings Reply with quote

I am currently at work I'm going to see if the needle and seat replacement helped when I get off... Compression check is great, rebuilt the carb a week or 2 ago just got lazy with the needle and seat...valve lash is perfect...new spark plugs and wires...im hoping the needle and seat is the ticket
i_luv_my_bus76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Coil readings Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
I always start at the basics. Valve adjustment, compression check.

If it will crank and start, can you keep it running by squirting carb cleaner into the carb? Then you should check quality, quantity and volume of fuel out of the fuel pump. Next is the fuel cut off solenoid, then the carb.

Ignore all that, if you already did that. Waiting for the results of your needle valve r&r.

Jimbo,

Your gonna laugh...i know i did...or you might be mortified

So the night I adjusted the valves I had worked 14 hours and decided to adjust the valves on my bug and bus...well I just rechecked the valves on the bug number 1 lock nut had backed itself almost all the way off knocking the valve lash out of wack... I must have not tight ed it all the way... what a bonehead move right...i could have really caused a catastrophe
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: