Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Driving a VW Van Might Lead to Border Questioning About Pot Use
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: Driving a VW Van Might Lead to Border Questioning About Pot Use Reply with quote

I agree on the hating. We used to have reasoned debate in this country and its how things were settled in a way that melded the best of two different viewpoints. Reasonable minds heard the other side, while presenting their own views, accepted what turned out to be well defended and rational from the other side and gave up what reasoned debate exposed on their own side was a weak point. In so doing, the melded policy or guidelines adopted represented the best from each side.

Nowadays, each side wants so much change so fast that debate won't accommodate the pace. The "gimme it now" environment the media shows us daily encourages us to adopt the same inflexible approach to change in our own life.

As a result, changes are adopted that are half baked and often include unreasonable elements. When one side sees the other getting those extreme or irrational components, they hold out for a few of their own. It changes the game from achieving success based on ration and logic to pushing things through on popularity, making the most noise or threatening the reputation of your opponent's character.

Take border crossings. If you accept that it is necessary to add inconvenience and a little rudeness to the process in order to preserve safety - the ultimate goal - you will simply smile and accept it. That's a rational approach. Sure, they poked around in my wife's purse, opened a Christmas present, etc but these folks have a tough job to do and I will get to sleep tonight knowing someone is on duty. In turn to accept THAT, you have to be rational enough to understand that they don't always have time to offer you a cup of coffee and ask to see pictures of your grand kids. It was another guy who came by 3 hours ago that got that treatment. And perhaps it will be your turn next month for that treatment. Overall the system works.

If you use your rational mind, its nearly impossible as a border guard to find a way to stop and frisk your car and be the one person in your life during a typical year to remind a freedom-loving citizen that they're not really completely free, and have 100% of those folks like the way you did it. Or 90%. Or perhaps its only 67%. Here on Samba it feels like 15%.

Recognize with your logical mind that its an impossible prospect for them to dig around in your dirty laundry, poke around a trash bag with a half eaten hamburger and some cold fries, open a filthy greasy grille, or feel around a gritty frame rail looking for a baggie, or a package of Semtex and make you feel special at the same time.

Nobody likes to be inconvenienced. Especially in 2017. I still bristle illogically at the signs on the highways around here for the "boat inspections". They started 5 years ago with one or two in the county and you only stopped if you had a boat on a trailer. Now they're all over the place and they make you stop even if you have a canoe, or a SUP on your roof. On a nice afternoon with my family, I just want to get to the lake without the gestapo stopping me, asking where I've been with the boat, where I'm going, writing my license plate down, frowning that I haven't renewed my $15 invasive species permit for the boat, or all three kayaks, etc. I have to use my rational side to swallow it and accept that they're keeping milfoil out of the sweet salmon fisheries, preventing that species of mussel from getting into the local lakes, etc. That makes it OK when I'm sitting there in the 90 degree heat feeling my LandCruiser jiggle as they are up on the boat opening hatches and stuff. Yes it sucks, but I have learned to accept it.

The border is the same way. Nobody likes to be reminded we're not really free but in fact subjects to rules and regulations that would fill the largest room in your house floor to ceiling and wall to wall if they were printed for you. But that's one thing you get reminded of when someone you've never met in a glass booth starts asking questions. Be logical. Be nice. Then go have fun.

Doug
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Driving a VW Van Might Lead to Border Questioning About Pot Use Reply with quote

Always love your posts, Doug.

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Driving a VW Van Might Lead to Border Questioning About Pot Use Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:

I like the border. I like the people that work there because they do an important job for me. Both when I am there crossing and when I'm home sleeping - they are ever vigilant and working to protect my great country and make it possible for me to safely visit my beautiful neighboring country.

Yes, indeed.
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Driving a VW Van Might Lead to Border Questioning About Pot Use Reply with quote

Look, here's a Vanagon and a border...you know, like all topical n' shit

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Driving a VW Van Might Lead to Border Questioning About Pot Use Reply with quote

The answer to this question is pretty easy without going into a long drawn-out diatribe in support of any preferred political ideas.

It's the same whether it's pot, guns, or eggs. If you don't want any problems crossing a border check with the Border Control website for your country and the one you wish to visit and pay attention to the restricted goods list.
And then just don't bring any. Simple.

As for being profiled, welcome to the real world, this is what a lot of people are protesting about.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Driving a VW Van Might Lead to Border Questioning About Pot Use Reply with quote

why not drive up to the border guards at night and blind them with your high power, mis-aimed LEDs?
Gauche1968
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Driving a VW Van Might Lead to Border Questioning About Pot Use Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
Look, here's a Vanagon and a border...you know, like all topical n' shit

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Where are the border cops?
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Driving a VW Van Might Lead to Border Questioning About Pot Use Reply with quote

We forget that we have 53 great states with no borders or papers required, having a whole bunch of provinces up North that are easy to visit is just icing on the chocolates
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Driving a VW Van Might Lead to Border Questioning About Pot Use Reply with quote

What!!? N. California finally seceded??!!
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Driving a VW Van Might Lead to Border Questioning About Pot Use Reply with quote

Fair point, Abscate.

I think what it seems many may have missed here are posts like Levi's.

Having your possessions busted up by overachievers is simply not my idea of freedom. There are several other posts here also telling similar tales of disrespect.

Is border security necessary? Yes

Should they have a right to use their experience to question suspicious people?: Yes

Should they are have the right to tear apart vehicles and damage Americans' property?: HELL NO

Does anyone thinking this is acceptable know the history and outcomes of current and prior countries employing similar tactics?: Seemingly not

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Driving a VW Van Might Lead to Border Questioning About Pot Use Reply with quote

It's difficult to get torqued up about a search at a border compared to the politics of the Developing World where one can see political struggles leading to starvation and death , imhe
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Driving a VW Van Might Lead to Border Questioning About Pot Use Reply with quote

You could say that about anything.

— Colin Chapman
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: