Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Unber body tubing for accelerator cale in '78 Bay Bus
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChristopherT2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:32 am    Post subject: Unber body tubing for accelerator cale in '78 Bay Bus Reply with quote

I am replacing a broken accelerator cable in my 1978 Bay 1600 but am confused by the tubing in which it runs. I had expected a metal tube with a flexible end where it passes through the casing to the engine but it is just a few short lengths of plastic tubing which are not joined. Is this correct or should it be one length and of what material please? The break was not caused by wear in the pipes but at the carburettor fixing but I feel that a continuous length of tubing should give a smoother operation and no wear.
A single length of plastic/pvc pipe would seem to be the easiest solution but I want it to be right.
Many thanks
1978 Devon Camper
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Unber body tubing for accelerator cale in '78 Bay Bus Reply with quote

RIP Karl wrote:

#6 was part number 211 721 551A and was used on buses FROM chassis number 2x2 2000 001 [1972
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

VW calls the part "Protective tube for flat engine".

Is it the one that goes through the Fan housing.
http://www.justkampers.com/vw-bus-parts-1968-1979/...-1979.html

Good luck
Tcash
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Unber body tubing for accelerator cale in '78 Bay Bus Reply with quote

It seems that some of the original accelerator cables for busses with upright engines may have had a length of plastic tubing around the cable where it passed from the body tube to where it entered the metal tube thru the engine fan shroud, but I've never seen that on any replacement cable, have never seen one installed
in a bus, and really don't think it serves any useful purpose. However, nothing prevents a bus owner from obtaining a suitable length of tubing and
slipping it over the cable when installing it.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Unber body tubing for accelerator cale in '78 Bay Bus Reply with quote

kreemoweet
Is the red plastic thing #6?

Thank you
Tcash
ChristopherT2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:06 am    Post subject: Re: Unber body tubing for accelerator cale in '78 Bay Bus Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
kreemoweet
Is the red plastic thing #6?

Thank you
Tcash

Thanks Tcash and kreemoweet,
My replacement cable does have the red sleeve shown in the picture but I am more concerned about the conduit/tubing through which the cable runs. I cannot believe that the two short, and unconnected, pieces of plastic conduit are original and the only reference to the conduit that I have found on the internet mention metal tubing.
As the tubing does not seem to be available from any of the usual suppliers I have been thinking of perhaps using copper tubing or PVC tubing as fitted over yacht rigging shrouds.
Any further thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
My apologies if I have posted this twice!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: