Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

356 1600 Super engine into a 1963 VW T2 Split bus - Questions
Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Poze123
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:26 am    Post subject: 356 1600 Super engine into a 1963 VW T2 Split bus - Questions Reply with quote

Hi guys

I am almost ready to fit my 356 1600 Super engine into my VW T2. I have finally got all of the linkage parts and the engine is complete minus the muffler and front and rear tinware.

I want to install the engine this weekend then I can see what the situation is with the various bits of tinware. I have the tinware at the sides of the engine, but not the piece over the flywheel area or front pulley. I'm hoping to use or adapt VW pieces if there close.

Does anyone have any advice or photographs/info on fitting one of these engines? Can I swap over the VW clutch? Can the tinware be adapted to work or is it completely different?.

I don't have much money to spend on this project, its all on a strict budget (I was lucky with the engine purchase being so complete), so I'm just after any advice people can give for when I start the swap tomorrow.

Many thanks,
Paul

England.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: 356 1600 Super engine into a 1963 VW T2 Split bus - Questions Reply with quote

I did this once. From what I recall, I had to trim the 356 pieces to make it fit within the confines of the engine bay. The flywheel and clutch worked with the 6 volt starter. If you are running 12 volt, you may have to have the flywheel ring gear replaced with a 12 volt unit.

It basically fits right in, with lots of fiddling. I think you would be better off with a VW motor. Porsche motors are 36hp bottom ends with 100hp top ends.

The one I did ended up in a 66 Westy.
Colorado Springs
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dsrtfox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 356 1600 Super engine into a 1963 VW T2 Split bus - Questions Reply with quote

This was a very popular swap many decades ago. 36 or 40 hp out, 75 hp super in, what could be better. All 4 pieces of the Porsche tin was cut to fit the VW hole so to speak. The problem is that the tin is now very valuable, as are all Porsche engine parts. Every once in a while I see Porsche tin cut for VW on Samba or 356 registry classifieds. I would do a search for that. I always used a 6 volt flywheel and starter weather 6 or 12 volts. If you want to get real tricky you can put a 12 volt solenoid on a 6 volt starter, it will work just fine. Back in the day there were many cheap extractor exhausts for Porsche that would work on VW conversions, I don't know about now. A little fabricating for heater box and throttle controls and your good to go...
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: 356 1600 Super engine into a 1963 VW T2 Split bus - Questions Reply with quote

dsrtfox wrote:
.. I always used a 6 volt flywheel and starter weather 6 or 12 volts. If you want to get real tricky you can put a 12 volt solenoid on a 6 volt starter, it will work just fine..

Good advice. We did this many times, as it saves the flywheel teeth. (A 6-volt solenoid on 12V will SLAM the starter teeth forward into engagement.)
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Poze123
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 356 1600 Super engine into a 1963 VW T2 Split bus - Questions Reply with quote

Hi guys

Thank you very much for the info and the advice so far, it was very useful and helped me when I installed the engine at the weekend.

So, the engine went in, no dramas expect for the bolts behind the fan housing being tricky to access with the carbs on. But all sorted now.

I made two videos, heres the first on of the first start up in approx. 35 years. There is no muffler, but I needed to do a quick start up to confirm it worked before I spent money importing muffler from Spain.

Many thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEn3RXX2D8U
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Poze123
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 356 1600 Super engine into a 1963 VW T2 Split bus - Questions Reply with quote

I also used the existing starter motor with no probs, it was a reproduction 12v unit I fitted a number of years ago - works well (I think I used a bronze bush or something to fit it originally...).

Once I get the muffler, I'll then of course try to get it warm and to idle. I don't want to damage the engine (and its noisey) , so i'll sort that once I buy a muffler.

Tin Ware wise -- the 356 side tin ware could be cut to fit, but I think that's a waste so I'll make some tin to fit the small gap I have. The front tin ware by the pulley I don't have, so I cut a old Beetle piece slightly and I'll then fill in the holes once I get the muffler on - I'll keep two holes for hose to warm the carbs (from what I have seen on complete engine installs).

Rear tinware over the bell housing -- looks to be very tight fit, so I think the carbs will need to come out to get this in - so I'll get some tinware and see what I can do on this possibly tight/fiddly job...!

Thank you all
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 356 1600 Super engine into a 1963 VW T2 Split bus - Questions Reply with quote

Cut some 1/8" rubber to fit instead of tin and remove motor to screw it to the body. You will get a better seal and it is flexable so its forgiving on fit.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 356 1600 Super engine into a 1963 VW T2 Split bus - Questions Reply with quote

Bulli Klinik wrote:
Porsche motors are 36hp bottom ends with 100hp top ends.
Say What! Not! (Real early ones yeah.) But I do agree with Bulli Klinik about building a VW engine for it. Sell the Super engine to a buyer that has a Porsch and with the £7500 use about £4000 to build the vw engine.
roy mawbey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: 356 1600 Super engine into a 1963 VW T2 Split bus - Questions Reply with quote

Paul,

Well done on fitting it and it sounds good even without the exhaust !!

Roy
Poze123
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 356 1600 Super engine into a 1963 VW T2 Split bus - Questions Reply with quote

Thanks Roy.
It seems to run well, it's just needing that muffler.
I've seen a 356 copy muffler on eBay at £169 plus £50 postage, from Portugal.

So once I get some spare cash I'll grab one of those and fit that. I think it will clear the rear valance and give me the twin pipes, plus it won't be to loud. I'm not after the speed/noise, just knowing it's a 356 in the back and that bit of extra power up the hill.

Hopefully I'll get the muffler in dec or certainly January.
Cheers
Muffler eBay item-- https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F142512736468
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: