Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

59' versus 64' - which one appeals to you?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bzonic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:36 am    Post subject: 59' versus 64' - which one appeals to you? Reply with quote

Greetings all,

I’d like to tap into the wisdom here and gather some opinions on a few nice beetles that I’m weighing the pros and cons of. I’ve narrowed it down between a 59’ and a 64’ both with some obvious pros and cons inherent to their specs. I’m curious what others would consider the better choice based on my criteria of decent driving experience, originality, and future hassle factors (parts availability). Unfortunately I do not have 100% of the back story on these vehicles but I will list what I know.

The 64’ sea blue – 100% original inside and out. Faded paint but pretty good and not yet buffed out. 31,000 original miles with no rust anywhere and unmolested as far as I can tell. I’m not sure if there will be some routine work necessary in near future. After 31,000 miles what can I expect to need to work on in the near future?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The 59’ capri blue – repainted recently but I’m not sure if much else was “restored”. I know the carpet is wrong and a few other details (fuel gage). Looks very solid overall with a fresh undercoat job too. I’m assuming it has the correct 36hp engine along with the necessity for dead stop 1st gear shifting.

The 59’ is a striking car with the new paint and older details but the drivability of the 64’ and originality are appealing too. Which one would you guys lean towards? Thanks very much for your insight!!

vwfreek61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: 59' versus 64' - which one appeals to you? Reply with quote

I'd go with the original paint. You never know what's hiding under a fresh repaint.
1987 Vanagon Westy w/Subaru EJ25 and reversed 4EAT
turbotype1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: 59' versus 64' - which one appeals to you? Reply with quote

64 for sure..... It's only original once
This new fad of get it the lowest, or run it with the worst looks, (patina) isn't cool, it's for the hey everyone look at me crowd, i'm driving a beat down ratty, unsafe, VW, how cool am I ???...your not....

Pissing off the purists since 1997

Wanted: Boyd Motors plate frame

57 Turbo Oval Sliding rag
67 13 window delux walk-thru- now 21
64 all original for the misses
83 Sinka m-TDI diesel
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: 59' versus 64' - which one appeals to you? Reply with quote

If the 31k is true- then the '64 is a REFERENCE level car. You may never see another one. Repainted beetles fall from trees around here. I'd pull the 80s crap off it- especially that hood pull chrome thingie and the eyebrows. If those wide whitewalls have an old date on them- jettison those too in favor of period correct narrower WWs. If it had a sunroof- I'd be knocking on their door tomorrow.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: 59' versus 64' - which one appeals to you? Reply with quote

I'd go for the 64, you can't beat good original paint and everything. Who knows what kind of mess is hiding under that shiny new paint on the 59.
1973 Superbeetle: 1st car, owned since age 12. Update thread --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9919140#9919140
1967 Kombi: Owned since age 17, Dad's retirement project.
1966 Beetle: My new project. (SOLD) Build thread--> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678040
Bzonic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: 59' versus 64' - which one appeals to you? Reply with quote

Thanks guys, My thoughts as well. Anything quirky about the 64' I should be aware of? Tips or tricks?
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: 59' versus 64' - which one appeals to you? Reply with quote

Is price an issue? I'm typically VERY skeptical of low mileage claims unless they are well documented. Have you checked the technical tab here to compare? A 31k car is very unusual and I would personally check 20 ways to Sunday to confirm it's true. I mean think about it, 53 year old car with only 31k on it. That's less than 600 miles per year...

All said and done, if the 64 is legit and the prices are comparable I'd choose it. By the same token, I like pre 60's so it's a matter of taste.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
smokey503
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: 59' versus 64' - which one appeals to you? Reply with quote

For shits and giggles I'd check the pedal rubbers.
If they look worn out most likely there are many more miles on the car.
The 64 is a nice looking car though.
Bzonic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 59' versus 64' - which one appeals to you? Reply with quote

I'm not absolutely certain it is the original 31,000 miles but I will get a chance next weekend to look into it further. The file I saw regarding it's description from the previous owner only stated "100% original inside and out". Granted we all know what sellers can say if they choose to be dishonest. Unfortunately I do not have much more than that on its history. Are there any tell tale signs I should be looking for that indicate it has more than 31,000 on it? It has plenty of paint nicks on the lower front but I suppose that could happen within 31,000.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 59' versus 64' - which one appeals to you? Reply with quote

Crawl underneath and have a look at the trans. If it's black painted, it's been rebuilt. The stock ones came unpainted.

Like smokey503 said, Check the pedal rubbers for wear. Yea they can be replaced to look new. But most folks don't really think about them. At least where I live they don't Shocked
Look for worn areas on the steering wheel too. Even a black wheel will display a dull finish where it has been handled over all the years of driving.

Why not just buy both cars and see which one appeals to you the best? Shocked
JK! I'm going on 58yo. So if it were me I'd be partial to the 59. That matches my age Very Happy

Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 59' versus 64' - which one appeals to you? Reply with quote

The 64 has more things going for it.
spring loaded front hood=no bending
better designed gas tank=more room under the hood
a gas gauge
most likely depending what state you live came with seatbelts
tunnel type fully synchronized box
new style steering column with a better ground for the horn
I like 36 and 40 hp equally, but 64 is a fresh air heater system is much better
more visible front turn signal lamps and rear stop and turn signal lamps.
Depending on your preference manual choke vs auto choke.
largest downside is the 36hp will get you much better MPG.
I'm sure with all the improvements every year the list from VW is even bigger.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 59' versus 64' - which one appeals to you? Reply with quote

A windshield full of pits is a good sign the vehcile has many miles. Many time pitted glass is reinstalled when car is repainted, for the price of a Bug windshield, that is poor choice. Nothing like good vision.

Now a scratched by wiper windshield may not indicate many miles unless many pits present, Even a low mile car with a rotten wipper blade can scracth its windshield in minutes.

my recenlty aquired Bug had a nice new paint job, only 75K miles documented by the little old lady, garaged kept, yadda yadda, till a couple years before she sold me the bug got in a fender bender and had the whole thing repainted.

The paint shop reinstalled the very heavily scratched by wiper glass, UGH! It must have been driven all rainy season one year with torn rubber blades.

See if the marks on the glass indicate orignal or not. If original and not pitted, thats a good indication of low miles.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 59' versus 64' - which one appeals to you? Reply with quote

Based purely on your criteria of decent driving experience, originality, and future hassle factors (parts availability), I'd say the '64 is quite a bit closer to what you're looking for. As for myself personally, I'd lean toward the '59 primary due to the fact it isn't a low mileage original, and would therefore be easier for me to enjoy as a driver.
Bzonic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 59' versus 64' - which one appeals to you? Reply with quote

Thanks Rustavenger and Heflin - great info that really starts to make this decision easier. I'm also thinking that if I need to do some work on it I will be starting on a fresh slate and not frustrated by something I discover the previous owner did poorly. As a first time poster I appreciate the truly helpful info.
Bzonic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 59' versus 64' - which one appeals to you? Reply with quote

Interesting Mukluk - I perceived the 64 to be a better driver but I completely see your point too. How challenging is driving a 36hp beetle? My first car 20 years ago was a 40hp java green 65 beetle and I remember not having issues too much. 36hp all that much noticeably slower?
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 59' versus 64' - which one appeals to you? Reply with quote

I can't say from personal experience, having only driven 1600's and a 40 horse. Taking into consideration the different gear ratios between stock 36 and 40 horse transaxles, I'd only guess that the 36 wouldn't be much slower than the 40 horse in normal driving up to about 60mph... the few videos on Youtube that I've watched with folks driving a 36 horse give the impression they get around just fine up to that speed.
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 59' versus 64' - which one appeals to you? Reply with quote

If the 64 is original, why did they replace the front apron?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 59' versus 64' - which one appeals to you? Reply with quote

txoval wrote:
If the 64 is original, why did they replace the front apron?

What makes you think the front apron was replaced?
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 59' versus 64' - which one appeals to you? Reply with quote

I guess it depends on what your end goal is?

Are you going to modify the vehicle, or keep it stock "as is"? Do you plan on a paint job if you get the 64? I do agree that the 64 has more stock refinements, but the 59 IS A 59!

I'm going to go against the grain for a closer look at the 59. Yes, a fresh paint job, and undercoat are something that usually raise red flags, but what if they WERE done properly? Even a decent paint job is $5k+. If the body/chassis are done, you're just left with any mechanicals. If you want an all original vehicle, quadruple check all information on each vehicle. I don't care if the 64 had 3100 miles on it, I'm not driving it around on 53 year old brake components. At bare minimum, you would need all the rubber/hydraulic components.

Driving the stock version of each vehicle, the 64 would most likely be a little more practical/enjoyable with the factory refinements, but the 59 would get more "street cred". Modified with a stroker engine, the 59 is way cooler. Neither vehicle is going to be practical, but the 59 would be as driveable with the 36hp engine as the 64 with the 40hp.

Last edited by [email protected] on Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 59' versus 64' - which one appeals to you? Reply with quote

All elase being equal I would be inclined to buy the original paint car over a repaint. Repaints can be used to hide repairs and rust damage. Repaints can vary widely in quality and it's not always obvious until they age.

Of course all else is never equal. I prefer older, most of the appearance differences between a '59 and a '64 are old touches I like. Some of the mechanical changes on the '64 are nice to have, especially for a driver. The 36 is more costly to repair or rebuild, as is the splitcase (and 2nd gear syncro gets a workout.) The 36 is quite noticeably slower because not only do you have 10% less power you also have 7% taller gearing (the 36 horse Bug stock gearing is more like a later Bug with a 4.12 R&P.)

You will have to look at the price and condition of each car. Look for rust and accident damage and value accordingly. A lot of Bugs, even low mile ones, have had accident repair and marking a title for it is a more recent thing. Minor repairs that look right on the outside but slightly show underneath used to be common and can be fine in a driver, but still effect what you should expect to pay for it.

My drivers have been a '60, then a '63, and currently a '57. The '60 had the stock transaxle and 36 horse, then a big bore 40 horse. The split case gearing wasn't bad with either engine but the BB 40 was more powerful. The '63 had a stock 40 horse and I guessed a 4.12 R&P would be OK. NO, that combo sucked on the freeway, the stock 40 is designed for more rpm and needs it compared to the 36. My '57 has the stock 36 horse and a lower geared 40 horse transaxle. That drives pretty good but I have to consciously keep the speed held down to 65 mph on the freeway, and some urban freeway grades still drag me down to 55 mph or so. I've got the older and smaller brakes now too (and more expensive to work on), but a '59 wouldn't have that daily driver downside.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: