Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Metallurgical Make up of Steering Knuckles and LCAs?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ARMc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:46 pm    Post subject: Metallurgical Make up of Steering Knuckles and LCAs? Reply with quote

I've got my front end apart on my syncro, and before I put it all back together I want to make my time down there look good, so de-rusting and coating the steering knuckles and cast lower control arms is in order. I've used electrolytic rust removal before but on non automotive items with great success. Apparently with electrolysis steels of a high hardness hydrogen embrittlement can be a problem. Hydrogen gets trapped in the steel lattice structure and can cause it to flex less, and well become more brittle. This can be reversed by baking, but the internet doesn't seem to agree on the temp or time needed Rolling Eyes It would help my decision if anyone knew if these parts are just basic mild steel or if they are a harder steel alloy. Hey maybe I'm just overthinking it, but I'm sure someone here knows! Laughing
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Metallurgical Make up of Steering Knuckles and LCAs? Reply with quote

Without actually knowing, I think we can assume that any suspension components are going to be made with hardened steel.

How about putting it in a bath of vinegar solution ?
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
ARMc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Metallurgical Make up of Steering Knuckles and LCAs? Reply with quote

Yeah Levi your right, and an email to Burly confirmed such.

As my research continues, I asked myself that question, why not use vinegar? (I'm learning all the my high school chemistry I missed today...) According to research any acidic solution, such as vinegar, will allow for hydrogen embrittlement. I think the question with either process is how deep does that embrittlement go? Is it purely surface level or deep enough to cause significant weakening if not alleviated correctly by baking out the hydrogen.

My Google efforts offer: It seems others with less concern or greater understanding than I have gone about EER with steering knuckles without issue. Or at least without reported issue. I'm not sure if that is enough to go on for me.

Perhaps this is too deep of a metallurgical study for me to indulge in at this time. Stay focused, there are only so many warm days left in the autumn where fingers work well with tools in hand. Just knock off the rust with a brush and spray em quick, stick them bearings in there and bolt it all back together. Next item of repair. However if any alchemist or metallurgist knows the wiser, do tell.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: