Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VWs preserving history
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: VWs preserving history Reply with quote

Thanks! Here are some from just a little bit ago.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The top one is me. The bottom two is my dad in the car, he hadn’t driven it yet.
“Fitz” 1971 Westfalia Poptop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: VWs preserving history Reply with quote

This morning I hopped in the Ghiapet & meandered through the beautiful NC countryside & found lots of neat old buildings & houses.

I found the remains of an old mill wheel.

Then, a few miles down the road I spotted this gorgeous old mill that appeared to be in working order.

Then I spotted the remains of was once a grand old farmhouse near Castalia.

Then I found what appears to have been an old school house or possibly a church sans it’s steeple.

Then I stumbled across this perplexing property. It looks like it was an old school that was abandoned but then became a community center.

However, with a bit more exploration, the back of the buildings butted directly up to an old graveyard with graves dating back to 1912.

I explored the gutted nursery that overlooked the graveyard. In the first pic, you can see the baseball field.

Then there was this neat old manor tucked back into the woods.

And this huge old manor that has been restored & reinvented as a wedding venue.

https://m.facebook.com/HudsonManorEstate/

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: VWs preserving history Reply with quote

In the past few weeks I installed new inertia-reel 3-point front safety belts as well as a pair of high/low Hella horns on my '77 Beetle. Today was fantastic weather, so after work hours I took the car out to try out the new parts and went for a 65 mile drive. My favorite twisty road through Harriman State Park in New York's Lower Hudson Valley was closed, but a short distance further is the Clove Furnace ruin. It's located just south of Harriman, NY and is clearly visible from/east of the NY Thruway (I-87). The furnace was built in 1854 for smelting iron ore.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: VWs preserving history Reply with quote

Huh, I remember seeing those when I lived in Wallkill but always thought they were just silos. Cool, thanks.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: VWs preserving history Reply with quote

This may count as history, the dam in the background was built in 1925 and it is one of two dams that failed yesterday in our town. So both reason make it pretty historic I would say. The picture is two weeks old.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: VWs preserving history Reply with quote

This is above the Sanford dam that failed. When it filled before it let go, the water was up to the tires, now it’s dry. The stumps are left from before the dam was put in 95 years ago. It’s crazy to see in person. There are enclosed trailers that got washed into the middle of what was a lake.

TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: VWs preserving history Reply with quote

Very cool that you got a pic of it just before it failed & then an after shot, thanks for sharing.

TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 2:25 am    Post subject: Re: VWs preserving history Reply with quote

Memorial Day weekend was gorgeous. So much so that I just wandered.

I found this abandoned house about 1/2 mile down an overgrown trail near Bailey NC.

And then the remains of this old house near Lucama NC.

I also stumbled across the childhood home of Governor Charles Aycock in Fremont NC

And finally, another old abandoned school in Nahunta NC.

Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: VWs preserving history Reply with quote

I was out cruising with my dad and came across some old oil pumps. One was running and powered by a hit and miss motor.

67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: VWs preserving history Reply with quote

After going through these pics, the urban explorer in me can't walk straight at the moment! Sadly makes me realize that Florida is pretty f'ing boring by comparison Mad

OG member of the '67 Posse

A few of my toys, past and present
'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: VWs preserving history Reply with quote

'67, over 30 years ago my mother bought a condo in Bradenton, FL. We drove down from NY with initial small move-in items. I made a 'wrong" turn in northern FL and ended up on US 301, which at that time was a mostly 2-lane highway. I remember passing through villages that had seen better times. I'm sure there are still such towns, or outbuildings around central FL/Gainesville which would fit well into the theme of this thread.
-Remnants of more touristy travel era, such as roadside attractions/large orange-shaped buildings?
-Old, concrete road paving surface instead of blacktop on outlying county roads
-Search on "National Register of Historic Places- central Florida", or Googie-style buildings

My first supervisor retired to Inverness, FL and I sometimes drove there to visit him on a day trip based on going to mom's. I remember in that town, or close to it, older residential roads that had large trees (cypress?) on each side which had branches reaching over the roadway creating a "green tunnel" (allee).
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: VWs preserving history Reply with quote

Rome, I suspect you're correct about N. Central FL. However, in the greater Tampa Bay area, you'd be hard pressed to find the kind of delapidated old structures and abandoned buildings that I was referring to (and LOVE to explore.) I think there may still be an old cigar factory or two in Ybor City that haven't been demolished or repurposed yet. Gonna hafta check into that Cool

'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: VWs preserving history Reply with quote

Yeah, you definitely need to get out of urban centers & off modern highways. Find the roads that once were the main route to nearby towns that were bypassed by the interstates, this is where my "Hunting" is most successful.

Lots of these abandoned homes, buildings, & schools were in towns that the economies have collapsed & people died off or moved away from due to the traffic that no longer supported their towns.

Roads that share names with nearby towns were usually the main road to get to that town.

It's amazing how accurate the animated movie "Cars" is when it comes to how a local economy is affected by a shift in traffic.

67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: VWs preserving history Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:

Lots of these abandoned homes, buildings, & schools were in towns that the economies have collapsed & people died off or moved away from due to the traffic that no longer supported their towns.

It's amazing how accurate the animated movie "Cars" is when it comes to how a local economy is affected by a shift in traffic.

LOL! I literally said to myself, "Sounds like Radiator Springs" as I read it Laughing. Kinda sad though in reality Sad .

TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: VWs preserving history Reply with quote

67 Florida Deluxe wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:

LOL! I literally said to myself, "Sounds like Radiator Springs" as I read it Laughing. Kinda sad though in reality Sad .

Last year, I took a trip to West Virginia & took the back roads. 52 north from NC into VA was bypassed by 74 & 77 which (parts of it were) completed in 1997. I was amazed to see how all of the towns are starting to collapse due to the lack of revenue generated by traffic. There were 10-15 miles of outdoor flea markets lining both sides of the road that seemingly were the remaining residents only source of revenue.

Towns that interstates bypassed 40-50 years ago have just been abandoned or just collapsed altogether.

Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: VWs preserving history Reply with quote

Quote:
to West Virginia & took the back roads. 52 north from NC into VA was bypassed by 74 & 77
I've also driven on US Rt 52, from Mt. Airy NC up to Hillsville VA, then east on Rt 221 for an overnight stay in Roanoke. Included the twisty Bent Mt. section. Wonderful roads! I drove to the Greenville, SC area on business entirely on Interstates, and on way home wanted to get off them for a few hours. On another such trip, I drove mostly on US Rt 11 for about 80 miles between Natural Bridge to New Market, VA. Rt 11 parallels I-81 and goes through many "living" villages and smaller towns. Those highways were very enjoyable "reality checks" from the metro areas.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: VWs preserving history Reply with quote

Since it is likely that it will be removed or destroyed, I made a special trip to take a photo before it is lost to history. The General Robert E Lee monument in Richmond VA.

With a riot as a strong possibility tonight, police were out in numbers & there was a steady stream of rollbacks & tow trucks clearing the streets of potential hiding spots & fire hazards.

Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: VWs preserving history Reply with quote

I'm a Yank, and I think it's ridiculous to consider tearing down pieces of history because they are not "politically correct" today.

Are we going to destroy all references to Washington and Jefferson because they owned slaves???????????

Are we going to destroy all references to all presidents, senators, representatives who were against giving women the vote????

Things have gotten so weird that when Aetna insurance sends us a benefits letter it has pages with like 13 additional languages !!!

Notice the forced diversity on TV shows like the Bachelor, Survivor, etc. and on many TV commercials. I think Survivor requires 1 old white gay, 1 old white woman, 1 Asian, and oftentimes a gay; I gave this show up years ago.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: VWs preserving history Reply with quote

TDC, with so "many" people near the Lee monument, did anybody come over and ask you about the Ghia? The graffiti is not nearly as noticeable in the B&W shot.
raydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: VWs preserving history Reply with quote

Those pics are just so sad to see.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
Jump to:
Page 16 of 20

Jump to: