Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VWs preserving history
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 18, 19, 20  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: VWs preserving history Reply with quote

Today we laid my Uncle to rest in another cemetery and I had a couple pictures to show the next 2 generations of my family but as they don't allow vehicles to drive all over the cemetery to get photos next to grave stones and admin just deletes them anyway, I won't waste your time and mine.

Thanks.
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2022 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: VWs preserving history Reply with quote

The Caretaker's Cottage (1845) was built for the gate keeper and his family at the Augusta Canal. The canal was built in 1845 to provide power, water and a source of transportation. At the far end of the canal, the Confederate States Powder Works was built to supply ammunition and war material. After the war, factories and mills were built. Around the 1950s, the textile mills began closing.

Caretaker's Cottage
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The Locks

Oprn wrote: I'm getting to the age that any self propelled woman (no wheel chair or walker) looks HOT!! Oooo! look at that Babe! She made it from the dining room all the way to the TV room without help!! Hubba, hubba!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
63vwdriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: VWs preserving history Reply with quote

Dari Delite, a long-time ice cream stand in East Windsor, Connecticut, will close for good August 28, 2022. It has been in business on US Route 5 since the late 1950s and still looks much the same as it did when it first opened. I thought it would be nice to get some pictures of my '69 convertible to honor the end of an era.
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: VWs preserving history Reply with quote

63vwdriver wrote:

Dari Delite, a long-time ice cream stand in East Windsor, Connecticut, will close for good August 28, 2022. It has been in business on US Route 5 since the late 1950s and still looks much the same as it did when it first opened. I thought it would be nice to get some pictures of my '69 convertible to honor the end of an era.

A great photo. I just love those old ice cream shops.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: VWs preserving history Reply with quote

That brings back memories of the Dairy Queen in the town I grew up in. Virtually the same building but it had a big two dimensional ice cream cone on the top. They didn't do hamburgers back in those days.
63vwdriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: VWs preserving history Reply with quote

The Goodspeed Opera House, East Haddam, Connecticut. Built in 1876, it is still a venue for live theatrical performances. I've owned my '63 Beetle since 1990.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: VWs preserving history Reply with quote

63vwdriver wrote:

Nice photo. It seems like every small town around where I live had a place like this. Most of them are gone now.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: VWs preserving history Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:
63vwdriver wrote:

Nice photo. It seems like every small town around where I live had a place like this. Most of them are gone now.

Yep, on one of my trips to nearby Simsbury, CT, I made a point to have a cone from a place like this. Timeless!
bandi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: VWs preserving history Reply with quote

Found this while out on a bit of a backroad exploration. I thought it was a schoolhouse but did a bit of reading and learned it was an Orange Lodge.
'60 Canadian Standard, '64 Bug, another '64 Bug, '66 Bug, '69 Sunroof Bug, '69 GT3 Bug, '71 Super, '72 Super, '73 Canadian Custom, '74 Love Bug, '83 Mexi Bug, '85 Cabrio, '94 Mexi Bug, '99 New Beetle, '02 New Beetle Turbo S, '03 New Beetle VR6. And some Fieros.
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: VWs preserving history Reply with quote

bandi wrote:
I thought it was a schoolhouse but did a bit of reading and learned it was an Orange Lodge.

My first thought was wondering if it was a church. Then I googled Orange Lodge (which I had never heard of) and found out it is a religious organization.

Never heard of it before. You learn something new every day.

Did you peek inside?
Oprn wrote: I'm getting to the age that any self propelled woman (no wheel chair or walker) looks HOT!! Oooo! look at that Babe! She made it from the dining room all the way to the TV room without help!! Hubba, hubba!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bandi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: VWs preserving history Reply with quote

bigdog1962 wrote:
bandi wrote:
I thought it was a schoolhouse but did a bit of reading and learned it was an Orange Lodge.

My first thought was wondering if it was a church. Then I googled Orange Lodge (which I had never heard of) and found out it is a religious organization.

Never heard of it before. You learn something new every day.

Did you peek inside?

Both of the doors were locked, but I'll keep checking - abandoned buildings are my other hobby!
'60 Canadian Standard, '64 Bug, another '64 Bug, '66 Bug, '69 Sunroof Bug, '69 GT3 Bug, '71 Super, '72 Super, '73 Canadian Custom, '74 Love Bug, '83 Mexi Bug, '85 Cabrio, '94 Mexi Bug, '99 New Beetle, '02 New Beetle Turbo S, '03 New Beetle VR6. And some Fieros.
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: VWs preserving history Reply with quote

Weed School - built in 1936 for black children and named after the Rev. Edwin Weed. It was bought several years ago for $25,000 after it was abandoned around 2005. Plans were to renovate it into apartments but as you can see those plans have stalled for several years.

KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: VWs preserving history Reply with quote

I'm guessing they forgot where it was and are lost, and then since forgot what they were planning to do with it.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: VWs preserving history Reply with quote

…or stopped for 100 Whoppers…..
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: VWs preserving history Reply with quote

Bus delivers students to Weed School.

bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: VWs preserving history Reply with quote

^^^^^LOLOL!

October 24 - The old Weed School was put up for sale on Friday for nearly $1.3 million, according to a news release from Bramble Real Estate Services based out of Atlanta.

I suspect the only weed that comes with it is what's growing around "the joint."

(Like what I did there? Very Happy )
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: VWs preserving history Reply with quote

$35K to $1.3M ... not a bad investment!
Bonesberg55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: VWs preserving history Reply with quote

I expect to see VW history changed.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: VWs preserving history Reply with quote

I met up with fellow Sambanista Vamram at this historic marker in Eureka NC…

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: VWs preserving history Reply with quote

Quote:
I met up with fellow Sambanista Vamram at this historic marker in Eureka NC…

Great that you both could meet up! I met Vamram and his same Beetle in summer 2022 up here in New York, when he drove it to his family vacation spot nearby.

In May 2012 I joined a small vintage VW group for a spring cruise in the Hudson Valley of southern New York, by Classic VW Bugs. We stopped at the eastbound toll booth of the steel suspension Bear Mountain Bridge (opened 1924), which takes US Route 6 over the Hudson River a few miles south of West Point. Chris Vallone was driving his restored blue '54 or early '55 Beetle. I was in my Pearl White '64 Karmann Ghia Cabrio.

The toll booth was completely dismantled by late 2021, replaced with E-Z Pass sensors. This is how the bridge approach looks now:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 18, 19, 20  Next
Jump to:
Page 19 of 20

Jump to: