Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

car dies
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sammywells
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:36 pm    Post subject: car dies Reply with quote

69 beetle still working out some issues after the resto. Took a 25 min drive today on the highway and the car was running great, temp was about 90 here in southern ohio. Stopped at walmart for about 45 min. Came out and started the car, pulled back out onto the highway drove half mile and the car started to die at about 55mph. started to ease off onto the side of the road and it came back to life and ran great the rest of the way home. Had a bite to eat went back out half hr later started the car drove about 3 blocks and it died and would not start. Sat in friends driveway for about 15 min and and tried it again and it started up so i took it back the house and it seemed to run ok. engine is rebuilt with about 300 miles on it now. New fuel system, rebuilt carb, rebuilt dist. new coil, condenser, plugs wires, points, everything. I removed the fuel pump and the bakelite piece and sanded it down for a loose fit in case the fuel rod was getting tight and it seems to run ok but havent had it back out for a longer drive yet. What else should i look for.
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: car dies Reply with quote

Sounds like vapour lock. Keep a bottle of water in the car, next time you have a problem try pouring the bottle slowly on the fuel pump then starting the car.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: car dies Reply with quote

TO the other posters point, how is the steel fuel line routed from behind the engine to the fuel pump?

I had symptoms like you're describing as well. One time it was the coil as when it got hot, it started acting up. The second time it was the fuel pump taking a dump. I was grateful it got me home before fulling pooping out.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sammywells
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: car dies Reply with quote

I'll double check the routing and keep a bottle of water handy for my next drive. Should the line be ok as long as it's not touching anything
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: car dies Reply with quote

I have a similar problem with an EMPI carb. I can drive it for about 15 mins and then the car looses power. If I take the speed down to 55 it drives fine. I put a different carb on the car and it works fine. I moved the EMPI carb to another car and the problem went along with it.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: car dies Reply with quote

Is the fuel tank vented?

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
sammywells
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: car dies Reply with quote

Yes, I vented the tank after my last issue. Went out today and looked at the fuel line routing. It comes from the firewall straight along the side and up between the where the manifold has the large tube and small tube then over to the pump. I have a couple pieces of hose around the fuel line to prevent any rattling against the intake tubes. Looks like maybe i should run the line under both intake tubes and up and over to the pump.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: car dies Reply with quote

sammywells wrote:
Yes, I vented the tank after my last issue. Went out today and looked at the fuel line routing. It comes from the firewall straight along the side and up between the where the manifold has the large tube and small tube then over to the pump. I have a couple pieces of hose around the fuel line to prevent any rattling against the intake tubes. Looks like maybe i should run the line under both intake tubes and up and over to the pump.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here is how the steel fuel line was run from the factory.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sammywells
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: car dies Reply with quote

Ok, that looks better too. I"ll go do that right now as the wife wants to take a drive later and it would be nice if there were no issues.
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: car dies Reply with quote

sammywells wrote:
... It comes from the firewall straight along the side and up between the where the manifold has the large tube and small tube then over to the pump...

The small tube on the intake is your heat riser. If functioning properly, the heat riser tube will have very hot exhaust gasses passing through it to help warm the intake manifold center section -- having the fuel line rest on the heat riser can easily cause modern ethanol fuels to boil in the line.
sammywells
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: car dies Reply with quote

After rerouting the fuel line i took it for a 20 min drive at 65 mph and the temp outside was about 87. I stopped and visited a guy that has several vw's and after about 1.5 hrs i started it up and drove back home at about the same speed. Seems to run fine. I guess time will tell more.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: car dies Reply with quote

Something I have experienced with a 66 I did a couple years ago. Car would idle all day, but when driving or running the engine at higher RPMs for any length of time, it would start running out of gas. Pulled the fuel line off by the rear axle and had nominal flow. Put an air hose on the tank end and tied a sock on to the rear and blasted it - lots of crap came out. Snaked an old clutch cable through on both ends. Blew it out again. All kind of crap. Hooked up the gas tank and checked flow....Now it was normal....Of course made sure i had a filter above the axle and replaced it after a few miles. The car has been fine ever since.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sammywells
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: car dies Reply with quote

Been driving the car around with no issues. Today the wife and I decided it was time for a road trip to see the kid at college 2 hrs away. Car ran great first hour running 60-65 mph with temp about 60 degrees. it started to act like the gas was shut but it came out of it and ran fine. About half hr later it did it again. Pulled off the highway to check it out. Idles fine reeves fine. Didn’t see anything so we took off again. About half hr later it did it for a third time but it came out of it and started to run fine again. Made it to sons college running fine. Now we are getting ready to head back and I assume it will do it again. I did reroute the gas line per the picture from this post. Any other ideas what this could be.
sammywells
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: car dies Reply with quote

Been driving the car around with no issues. Today the wife and I decided it was time for a road trip to see the kid at college 2 hrs away. Car ran great first hour running 60-65 mph with temp about 60 degrees. it started to act like the gas was shut but it came out of it and ran fine. About half hr later it did it again. Pulled off the highway to check it out. Idles fine reeves fine. Didn’t see anything so we took off again. About half hr later it did it for a third time but it came out of it and started to run fine again. Made it to sons college running fine. Now we are getting ready to head back and I assume it will do it again. I did reroute the gas line per the picture from this post. Any other ideas what this could be.
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: car dies Reply with quote

Try sticking a tennis ball under the decklid latch to prop it open while you drive, see if the lowered under hood temps help.

Also, after a good run to get it heat soaked, listen to the carb after you shut it down to see if you can hear a boiling or percolating noise coming from the carb.

The other end of the spectrum that comes to mind would be to check for intake manifold icing -- feel the manifold just below the carb to see if it's cold to the touch and/or has condensation formed on it.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: car dies Reply with quote

Gas tank vent being clogged would do this as well. When it does it, open the gas cap right away and listen for air rushing in.....
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sammywells
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: car dies Reply with quote

Made it back home with no problems at all running between 60-65 mph. Outside temp was about 75. The gas tank vent line is new and did not notice any ice on the manifold. Have heard of the tennis ball trick and may have to try that. I am puzzled how this car made it 88,000 miles Everything is factory. This makes no since.
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: car dies Reply with quote

'69 Beetle would have had the "fuel sock" on the outlet pipe inside the fuel tank. When was it last replaced? If you don't know... it probably needs to be replaced. Rinse out any sludge while you are in there.

The other thing to consider is the fuel filter. Where is yours? Do you have one under the tank; next to the trans or in the engine compartment? Again, of you don't know when it was last changed (or it has been more than 2years) then you should probably replace it. Fuel lines too should be replaced every few years (more frequently if you run high ethanol fuel -- E85).

Both of the above make themselves know when your engine is running at high rpms for long periods.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
sammywells
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: car dies Reply with quote

Tank is new with filter inside unless that is not considered a filter, looks like one... Lines are new, rubber hose is new, rebuilt carb, new coil, rebuilt distributor, condenser new, plugs and wires new, rebuilt fuel pump with about 3 psi. tank vent is new. Rinsed out the tank and blew it out with air and sat it in the sun to dry before i installed it. I took this car down to a pan off. complete disassemble except for the transmission. everything is new or rebuilt or cleaned. Now today i received my new timing light and rechecked everything and it seems to run a bit better. But will it die again, Probably not unless i'm an hour away. Gonna have to take another road trip to find out. I"m still guessing vapor lock but don't know how or why. If there is too much heat under the hood than again how did it make it to 88000 miles on the first go around.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: car dies Reply with quote

sammywells wrote:
Tank is new with filter inside unless that is not considered a filter, looks like one... Lines are new, rubber hose is new, rebuilt carb, new coil, rebuilt distributor, condenser new, plugs and wires new, rebuilt fuel pump with about 3 psi. tank vent is new. Rinsed out the tank and blew it out with air and sat it in the sun to dry before i installed it. I took this car down to a pan off. complete disassemble except for the transmission. everything is new or rebuilt or cleaned. Now today i received my new timing light and rechecked everything and it seems to run a bit better. But will it die again, Probably not unless i'm an hour away. Gonna have to take another road trip to find out. I"m still guessing vapor lock but don't know how or why. If there is too much heat under the hood than again how did it make it to 88000 miles on the first go around.

My gut is this isn't fuel starvation or vapor lock related. I know this would be a pain but next time it quits, if you could pull over, take off the oil bath and pull the throttle to see if your getting a fuel squirt out of the brass nozzle. If not, pull the top of the carb off and check the fuel bowl for any fuel.

Did you set the fuel bowl float level when you rebuilt the carb? Did you check the float shut off needle valve for smooth operation meaning it doesn't stick in any spots?

I'd still be suspicious of the condenser and coil. New Bosch condensers are spotty in quality. Maybe try and Echlin brand condenser from Napa. A coil can act up as well when it gets hot. What brand coil are you using?

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: