Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Grease emerging from torsion bar lock nut?
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:10 am    Post subject: Grease emerging from torsion bar lock nut? Reply with quote

At the risk of looking completely ignorant, is it normal for grease to emerge from the torsion bar lock nut/grub screw? If not, what should I be checking and/or adjusting?

I did a brake adjustment yesterday and while I was adjusting the handbrake I noticed runny grease that appears to be emerging from the torsion bar grub screw lock nuts.

I cleaned it up before I thought to take a picture, but it was coming from the upper and lower beams.

I've not seen that before in the few years since I bought the truck.

The grease seemed clean, but quite runny. I grease with multi-purpose grease. I don't do many miles in the truck (less than a thousand a year), and the beam last greased about a year ago.

The beam is stock and the early post-barndoor style ('56 truck).

All the roads that I drive on are paved, but some are rutted and uneven, so I get bounced around if I'm going too fast, but the ride on good roads seems supple and fine.

Should there be a path for grease to emerge from there?

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Grease emerging from torsion bar lock nut? Reply with quote

Check that the grub screws and lock nuts are tight. Grease is going to leak out of any crack or hole.
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: Grease emerging from torsion bar lock nut? Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Check that the grub screws and lock nuts are tight. Grease is going to leak out of any crack or hole.

Just getting back to this (been fixing the leaks at the other end). If the grub screw is loose, is there any risk of the torsion bars rotating in the beam and the front end dropping when I try to sort this? Should I take the weight off the wheels before messing with the grub screws, or put jack stands under the beam etc.?

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Grease emerging from torsion bar lock nut? Reply with quote

Who.Me? wrote:
Eric&Barb wrote:

Just getting back to this (been fixing the leaks at the other end). If the grub screw is loose, is there any risk of the torsion bars rotating in the beam and the front end dropping when I try to sort this? Should I take the weight off the wheels before messing with the grub screws, or put jack stands under the beam etc.?

Only if you have an adjustable beam, and the center one is loose.

I would jack it up to relieve the pressure on the springs before messing with those nuts, and for better access. Loosen the 19mm hex and then tighten the 8mm allen key. You may have to use a pick to dig old grease out of the screws. Check all six of them one at a time.

Sometimes grease comes out of those holes. It may be an indicator that there is some older harder grease that would block it from coming out of the sides like it normally does.
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Grease emerging from torsion bar lock nut? Reply with quote

campingbox wrote:

I would jack it up to relieve the pressure on the springs before messing with those nuts, and for better access. Loosen the 19mm hex and then tighten the 8mm allen key. You may have to use a pick to dig old grease out of the screws. Check all six of them one at a time.

Thanks. I'll do that. It's a stock beam, so no adjusters.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: