Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

If you saw this bearing what would you think?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ATLvolksfan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:39 am    Post subject: If you saw this bearing what would you think? Reply with quote

Alright VW gurus, tell me what, if anything, is going on here. 36hp engine, rebuilt and only had about 3000 miles on the rebuild. I was having some oil pressure problems and investigated thoroughly before I pulled my engine apart to check out the bearings. On the face of it, is there anything wrong with these? I don't like the discoloration, but don't know if it's normal or not. Thanks!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: If you saw this bearing what would you think? Reply with quote

Cant say for sure from a photograph such as this, but it appears there are chunks of wear bits present, and gouges. indicating contaminated oil. maybe also the bearing clearances not right?

you have bad pressure, so also examine the pump, pick up tube.

the bearings and the one crank image show problems. the crank bearing surface appears goiged along with the shell.

then again, internet photos can be decieving, resolution, lighting etc....

what cleanance is there?

good luck

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
ATLvolksfan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: If you saw this bearing what would you think? Reply with quote

I should have cleaned things up a bit before I took the pictures. The grime dirt wasn't there when I opened the engine. As far as clearance goes, are you talking about mic'ing it?
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: If you saw this bearing what would you think? Reply with quote

Oil becomes acidic when left in too long, also probably some particulate matter caused this. Lets see the crankshaft. If it mics out you can probably get by with a polish. I've seen bearing overheat and stick to the crank, again its all in the measurement.
ATLvolksfan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: If you saw this bearing what would you think? Reply with quote

These are the respective journals. They seem fine to me, but again i guess it depends on the measurements.

Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: If you saw this bearing what would you think? Reply with quote

ATLvolksfan wrote:
These are the respective journals. They seem fine to me, but again i guess it depends on the measurements.

Yes naked eye can't catch worn to a taper or out of round.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: If you saw this bearing what would you think? Reply with quote

1.164 inches is that what they all read? (29.57 mm) that will tell the cut you have and size needed for the shells. Have you figured out why pressure was lost, what happened?

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
ATLvolksfan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: If you saw this bearing what would you think? Reply with quote

During the past 6ish years that my engine has been done, I have only occasionally used the car. It has always ran great and has always, since day 1 of the rebuild, had the oil pressure light flicker on at idle when it is fully warmed up. I know that is normal, and I haven't ever been too concerned over it. A couple of months ago, I installed a WW Okrasa kit on my motor. It made the engine run a whole lot better, but I started noticing that every once in a while I would hear a low knock when I started it from warm or cold. This eventually began to be coupled with the oil pressure light taking a couple of seconds to turn off when I started it up, and then it became me having to rev the engine at startup to get the oil light to go off. I checked all of the regular stuff (oil pump clearance, pressure relief valve, etc) and everything checked out fine. I changed my oil and found some metal flakes which was worriesome. When I changed the oil I stepped up to a 20w-50 to see if it would make any difference. On startup it did, the light went out quicker, but it came on at idle right after startup with the engine still being cold which was not normal for my engine.

My best guess is that it was something to do with the bearings, but nothing is jumping out at me other than the discoloration on the bearings.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: If you saw this bearing what would you think? Reply with quote

ATLvolksfan wrote:
During the past 6ish years that my engine has been done, I have only occasionally used the car. It has always ran great and has always, since day 1 of the rebuild, had the oil pressure light flicker on at idle when it is fully warmed up. I know that is normal, and I haven't ever been too concerned over it. A couple of months ago, I installed a WW Okrasa kit on my motor. It made the engine run a whole lot better, but I started noticing that every once in a while I would hear a low knock when I started it from warm or cold. This eventually began to be coupled with the oil pressure light taking a couple of seconds to turn off when I started it up, and then it became me having to rev the engine at startup to get the oil light to go off. I checked all of the regular stuff (oil pump clearanc7e, pressure relief valve, etc) and everything checked out fine. I changed my oil and found some metal flakes which was worriesome. When I changed the oil I stepped up to a 20w-50 to see if it would make any difference. On startup it did, the light went out quicker, but it came on at idle right after startup with the engine still being cold which was not normal for my engine.

My best guess is that it was something to do with the bearings, but nothing is jumping out at me other than the discoloration on the bearings.

if only defect is discolor of bearing, you should assmble enough to recheck the cleanance, I suppose. discoloring in itself wont change the diminsion much, its a very thin layer likely

bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: If you saw this bearing what would you think? Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:
ATLvolksfan wrote:
During the past 6ish years that my engine has been done, I have only occasionally used the car. It has always ran great and has always, since day 1 of the rebuild, had the oil pressure light flicker on at idle when it is fully warmed up. I know that is normal, and I haven't ever been too concerned over it. A couple of months ago, I installed a WW Okrasa kit on my motor. It made the engine run a whole lot better, but I started noticing that every once in a while I would hear a low knock when I started it from warm or cold. This eventually began to be coupled with the oil pressure light taking a couple of seconds to turn off when I started it up, and then it became me having to rev the engine at startup to get the oil light to go off. I checked all of the regular stuff (oil pump clearanc7e, pressure relief valve, etc) and everything checked out fine. I changed my oil and found some metal flakes which was worriesome. When I changed the oil I stepped up to a 20w-50 to see if it would make any difference. On startup it did, the light went out quicker, but it came on at idle right after startup with the engine still being cold which was not normal for my engine.

if only defect is discolor of bearing, you should assmble enough to recheck the cleanance, I suppose. discoloring in itself wont change the diminsion much, its a very thin layer likely

also if you hop upped the motor and had knocking, you likely would have high temps, which can cause oil pressure loss and lead to discoloring of metal maybe high temps is the cause, nrought on by too much advance for the engine? you often have inaudible knocking occuring at a low level if you have audiable knock at times, and even inaudible knocking can raise temps. Do you have temp gage data.?

williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: If you saw this bearing what would you think? Reply with quote

That forward bearing (the thrust) looks to have a high spot where the dowel pin goes. Or was installed wrong and then installed correctly. It looks like excessive clearances to me and yes- filthy oil.- Personally I would get some oversized bearings and have the machinist cut to fit at.0015 or .002 clearance. also pull the galley plugs and have them tapped for screw in plugs so you can run a brush down thru there and get rid of all the bad bits- a new oil cooler is not out of line. Go one step up in oil pump and run thin oil- not the 20-50 everybody hates here. Maybe one of the popular oil filter pumps is in order.

Or you can keep replacing this shit every 10,000 miles??

you can REALLY SAVE money$$$ not buying new oil.

[img]
[/img]

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: If you saw this bearing what would you think? Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:

What's the name of that fancy tool?
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
overdrive
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: If you saw this bearing what would you think? Reply with quote

kawfee wrote:
Zundfolge1432 wrote:

What's the name of that fancy tool?

hmm Mic
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:58 pm    Post subject: Re: If you saw this bearing what would you think? Reply with quote

It looks as though they can get expensive very fast. Any reliable brand?
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:32 am    Post subject: Re: If you saw this bearing what would you think? Reply with quote

As with most tooling there's professional grade and then there's the cheap shit.
The 2 to 3 inch micrometer pictured is Starrett which is U.S. Made and been around forever. Several other lesser known U.S. brands are considered commercial grade and the there's Mitutoyo Japanese also high grade. The chinese sell there own brand which is probably just right for some of the folks here Very Happy

Just like any tooling, best course of action would be buy professional grade on used market which in many cases is cheaper than buying the inferior chinese knock off.

**edit** looked over at eBay, you can buy Starret all day long from 15 to 50 bucks. The no name chinese was 10 plus shipping. So it's a wash, you can have good quality or shit quality same money.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: If you saw this bearing what would you think? Reply with quote

kawfee wrote:

also called a micrometer. (mic for short) the one shown reads to .001 inch, better ones read to .0001 inch with a vernier scale. the .0001 type usually cost more, but have ten times the persicion.

Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: If you saw this bearing what would you think? Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:
kawfee wrote:

also called a micrometer. (mic for short) the one shown reads to .001 inch, better ones read to .0001 inch with a vernier scale. the .0001 type usually cost more, but have ten times the persicion.

Yes precision Very Happy here's a pic and an explanation of how to read.

It's 2-3 inch so first number is 2. You've past the first graduation on the spindle so it's 1. Each small graduation beyond that is .025 so add 50 because you are 2 past that. Now looking at the thimble ( part that rotates) add .014 now because you are between 14 and 15 you could read that in .0000 so your final measure would read 2.164.5 find that in this VW without guesswork spec book. Yes the better mic which reads in 10 thousands would be ideal.

williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: If you saw this bearing what would you think? Reply with quote

If you have trouble seeing that scale- you can get them with an "Odometer" style read- That for me kept the decimal where it belongs- I've had mine for 35 years and still reading fine- but I like to set bearings by clearance anyway.

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: If you saw this bearing what would you think? Reply with quote

williamM wrote:
If you have trouble seeing that scale- you can get them with an "Odometer" style read- That for me kept the decimal where it belongs- I've had mine for 35 years and still reading fine- but I like to set bearings by clearance anyway.

And then there's the digital electronic versions that only require you read the numbers flashed on a screen. Where's the skill? Have we dumbed down that much? even with reading the numbers there is a feel not unlike using feeler gauges, this is developed with practice and experience. I convinced most anyone can learn this stuff.
klroger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: If you saw this bearing what would you think? Reply with quote

Correct me if i'm wrong, but should you not be using "Plastigage" to check the bearing clearance?? I think just measuring the crank would only tell if the crank was worn... I don't really know, tho...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: