Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine is crap, rebuild it or buy a rebuild turnkey engine ?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RENTEDCOW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:01 am    Post subject: Engine is crap, rebuild it or buy a rebuild turnkey engine ? Reply with quote

Hello,

I just found out from my mechanic that my barn find 1974 Thing with a VW Bus engine has 0 compression in one cylinder and 60 in another cylinder. My mechanic has recommended getting a rebuilt turnkey engine. With it not being the original engine, I wonder if I should send it out to get rebuilt or if the cost is close should I just get a turnkey rebuilt engine

I have to admit this has hit me in the gut. I had hoped the engine was good. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Seriously depressed, Alex from Ohio
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Engine is crap, rebuild it or buy a rebuild turnkey engine ? Reply with quote

Hi Alex,

Yeah, that's no fun to hear that. It really depends on what you want to spend compared to what you want to get out of the engine. Plus, is it important to you to keep it original? I sell complete stock engines for $3399, which don't include exhaust or clutch. To rebuild your engine, I would charge $1000 labor plus parts. Most engines end up with a $2000-$2500 bill, depending on what is actually wrong with the engine.

If you would like more info, feel free to email me direct [email protected]

https://www.facebook.com/mofoco?ref=ts&fref=ts

www.mofoco.com

Cylinder Head Reference Sheet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tattooed_pariah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Engine is crap, rebuild it or buy a rebuild turnkey engine ? Reply with quote

How mechanically inclined are you? This could be a fun opportunity to really get to know your car, tear the engine down, inspect everything and put it back together. Never worked on a Type IV engine before, but I don't think they are very different from Type I's..

"Never worry about stepping on people's toes. People who get their toes stepped on are either sitting down, or standing still on the job."
-Admiral Arleigh Burke, USN(ret.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Engine is crap, rebuild it or buy a rebuild turnkey engine ? Reply with quote

Sorry it didn't work out how you wanted. Welcome to the vagaries of the VW.

What kind of bus engine? With a good book, or video, and some help from this forum, you can do it yourself, at least you'll know what was done and how.

It could be as simple as setting valve lash, but I'm sure you started with that..
Find out where the compression is leaking out. You might just need new heads, or even just a valve job.

If the bottom end is ok, check endplay, what are oil pressures like, etc.. you could do new heads and P/Cs, not that much invested...

Know anything about it's history? what did plugs and oil look like? These are all clues to the answer to your queries..
RENTEDCOW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Engine is crap, rebuild it or buy a rebuild turnkey engine ? Reply with quote

Thanks everyone, I have been humbled by everyone's kindness on responding. My wife just talked with me for a few minutes and offered her condolences. I'm seriously bummed.

With the engine not being original (which did not surprise me). I am not emotionally invested in this engine. Right now I am going to separate the frame from the body. My first task is to cut out the floor pans. Sandblast, paint and replace everything that can be replaced.

I will ask a new friend who is a Samba moderator to come and give his opinion. But please keep the suggestions rolling. I sincerely appreciate it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DeathBySnuSnu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Engine is crap, rebuild it or buy a rebuild turnkey engine ? Reply with quote

The good news is that you have a Thing. Not everyone can say that.

What bus engine is in It?
If you have a type 4 bus engine then I would build that one.

If it is an earlier type 1 style engine then anything goes, build It, replace, exchange, whatever. As long as it is not the original.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Engine is crap, rebuild it or buy a rebuild turnkey engine ? Reply with quote

nothing special, everyone has some~thing Shocked Rolling Eyes . it kinda depends on what you want and your wallet. it may just need a little it may need a lot you may send it to a moron or you may send it to somebody that knows what there doing.or you may buy a new zero mile turn key engine. or zero mile long block and hope you local guy dosent eff it up with the rest of the work ittell need.
personaly if I had the $$ and not the time or ability to do it I would do a CB or scat turn key big motor...big as in 2276 or bigger. as mild or wicked as you wish.
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine is crap, rebuild it or buy a rebuild turnkey engine ? Reply with quote

RENTEDCOW wrote:
Hello,

I just found out from my mechanic that my barn find 1974 Thing with a VW Bus engine has 0 compression in one cylinder and 60 in another cylinder. My mechanic has recommended getting a rebuilt turnkey engine. With it not being the original engine, I wonder if I should send it out to get rebuilt or if the cost is close should I just get a turnkey rebuilt engine

I have to admit this has hit me in the gut. I had hoped the engine was good. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Seriously depressed, Alex from Ohio

I think you need to find a new mechanic.
Bus engine has 0 compression in one cylinder and 60 in another cylinder to me mean many things mostly
means you need to remove the heads, and have a look at the valves, seats, and valve spring tension.
Your Mechanic wants to slap in a rebuilt turnkey because he doesn't have time to deal with you,
or doesn't have the skills to do what's required.
Given that you're going to do the pan work and such on your Thing, you have the skills to deal with installing a long block.
You don't need no stink'n Mechanic to install a Turn key either.
So here is what I'd do
Aircooled.net Long Block
http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Aircooled-Net-Better-...-block.htm
Or MoFoCo Long Block
http://www.mofoco.com[url]/item/New_MoFoCo_Aircool...c164[/url]
Also there is no hurry on doing this, wait until you finish body & chassis.
You can pull the motor, remove and verify you have all the correct cooling tin, Flaps, Thermostat, etc
and restore the tin, as you do your body work.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The motor shown is a dual port 1600, it should have a dog house oil cooler set up.
The carb, and distributor on the motor do not match the motor, but may still work well together.
What is the number stamped on the case just below the Generator Stand,
and can you take a photo of the yellow sticker under the distributor?
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine is crap, rebuild it or buy a rebuild turnkey engine ? Reply with quote

you just need the motor gone through, ok? this comes w/ owning a VW. The question is do you have more money or time?

in this hobby you have to know pretty much everything about your car.

what are your plans for the motor? or to get the car running in no time?
satterley_sr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: Engine is crap, rebuild it or buy a rebuild turnkey engine ? Reply with quote

I get a lot of people from Ohio come to me for re-builds, I'm just outside of Detroit. PM me if interested.
RENTEDCOW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine is crap, rebuild it or buy a rebuild turnkey engine ? Reply with quote

Hello Everyone. I dropped the engine and the transmission. Taking the transmission on Thursday over to Geno in Elizabeth, PA to go over it. Afterwards taking the engine down to Bugstuff.

I was asked the yellow sticker on the engine which shows it was a factory rebuilt engine. sticker says "08410".

Below the generator there is "Zundfolge 1-4-3-2" and "126A-097078"

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
satterley_sr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine is crap, rebuild it or buy a rebuild turnkey engine ? Reply with quote

I have taken apart a few VW Canada re-builds. Not impressed with the quality compared to OG builds.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine is crap, rebuild it or buy a rebuild turnkey engine ? Reply with quote

Remind the shop that almost all VW of Canada rebuilds have been align bored.

https://www.facebook.com/mofoco?ref=ts&fref=ts

www.mofoco.com

Cylinder Head Reference Sheet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine is crap, rebuild it or buy a rebuild turnkey engine ? Reply with quote

That 126 A number indicates that a stationary industrial engine was used, with maybe odd valve sizes, odd valve retainers, low compression pistons, etc..

So probably not line-bored, could be a good starting point for a new engine.
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine is crap, rebuild it or buy a rebuild turnkey engine ? Reply with quote

So...where are we on the engine build?

let me know, I have a couple of engines I want to sell. VA is a skip and hop from you.

I am planning to drive up to Omaha end of month so maybe I can drop one off to you. Very Happy

PM me
PatrickK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine is crap, rebuild it or buy a rebuild turnkey engine ? Reply with quote

Sounds like you found yourself a fun project! My first VW was a '67 Beetle that was in pieces and stripped down to bare metal with no engine or transmission. Four years later I have a running car that looks great and is a blast to drive. It took a lot of work, but it has been worth every second!

The engines are quite simple. The suggestions made above are great. Don't be afraid to pull the engine and dig in to see what's going on for yourself. There's is a plethora of knowledge and experience in the webpages and all over the internet that will help with any question you come up with.

Good luck and don't get discouraged!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: