Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What's up with my bumper bolt holes?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
surfbus23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:51 pm    Post subject: What's up with my bumper bolt holes? Reply with quote

This bumper is off a 1979 bus. I can't find a fiche for the late bay bumper, so can't look up this part number. There are three spots for carriage bolts on the bumper mount. Then on the bumper there are 2 holes that accept 8mm bolts and a single hole that for some reason looks to be 4mm.

In the picture you'll see the installed carriage bolts that are 8mm and the hole on the right which is 4mm. The PO didn't install anything in the right side. I'd like to, but I'm just confused and curious why it's a different size.

Thanks!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: What's up with my bumper bolt holes? Reply with quote

could be wrong but I think that is for the splash/gravel guard.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: What's up with my bumper bolt holes? Reply with quote

Does #13 the muffler cover plate bolt on there?
surfbus23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: What's up with my bumper bolt holes? Reply with quote

Thanks! It does appear to be that. Didn't realize that bottom one was the bumper I was looking at. Sometimes it's hard to tell from these fiches when you haven't actually seen the part in person.

How useful is the gravel guard? I'm guessing not as I don't seem to see them in pictures.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: What's up with my bumper bolt holes? Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
Does #13 the muffler cover plate bolt on there?

westy78 wrote:
You mean this. I've always understood it to be a gravel gaurd also. Click on the pic to see it better.

Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: What's up with my bumper bolt holes? Reply with quote

In the early parts catalog.
thx jersey

http://www.jerseylooker.com/FicheDump/EarlyBaywindow/7-015.jpg
surfbus23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: What's up with my bumper bolt holes? Reply with quote

Well, I'll be. For anyone who is curious. I looked around at the bumper guards and it appears that there are different hole configurations for the gravel guard. The fiche shows 4 holes, but my 79 bumper has 3. Checked the classifieds and I did indeed see both three and four hole gravel guards.

Anyone care to comment of the usefulness of having a gravel guard?
zabo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: What's up with my bumper bolt holes? Reply with quote

surfbus23 wrote:
Anyone care to comment of the usefulness of having a gravel guard?

Is gravel a big problem for you?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
surfbus23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: What's up with my bumper bolt holes? Reply with quote

Haha. I don't know. Does the guard make it not a problem?

I expect all be seeing a decent amount of it.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: What's up with my bumper bolt holes? Reply with quote

There's been a few debates on the "gravel guard" over the years here, some say it's just decorative, others believe it's an aerodynamic part for cooling, and some think it's a safety guard to prevent small children and pedestrians from touching the hot exhaust.
Regardless VW wasn't in the habit of adding extra useless parts for no reason so it must do something, until you can prove it's completely useless put it on and trust those German engineers is my motto.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: What's up with my bumper bolt holes? Reply with quote

Front Bumper & Rear Bumper ID T2
RedHeadedJosh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: What's up with my bumper bolt holes? Reply with quote

I have it on my 1978 westy . I think it's so you can't see that rusty muffler hanging down under the bumper . Kinda a eye sore . I've always thought they looked funny without them. Come on a cooling part? That's a stretch don't you think? Face it vw exhausts are just plain ugly .
nodrenim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: What's up with my bumper bolt holes? Reply with quote

Sorry, I do not have pics to show what can happen to the paint behind the rear bumper of my 72 westy without the gravel shields. I will have to repaint the entire area across the back of my bus. I did not install the guards when I did my full resto, duh!
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: What's up with my bumper bolt holes? Reply with quote

RedHeadedJosh wrote:
Face it vw exhausts are just plain ugly .

I BEG your pardon . . .

airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: What's up with my bumper bolt holes? Reply with quote

Amskeptic wrote:
RedHeadedJosh wrote:
Face it vw exhausts are just plain ugly .

I BEG your pardon . . .

See, folks, beauty is often in function as well as form. There's no muffler on the market that clears boulders better than the original exhausts. When you're just scraping by, millimeters matter.

Robbie

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BayCreamPuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: What's up with my bumper bolt holes? Reply with quote

bus-ok.de started carrying them

https://www.bus-ok.de/Type2-bay-windows-with-Typ4-engine-Muffler-guard-exclusive

Earl Grey
'87 GoWesty 2.2 Westfalia

Marsha Mellow
'00 Eurovan VR6 Full Camper
Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: What's up with my bumper bolt holes? Reply with quote

Those round holes on either side are for drainage. The front bumper has them as well. The small hole on the right side of the pic is where the gravel guard is screwed onto the bumper, not bolted on.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: