Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

LandSpeed Buggy
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:28 am    Post subject: LandSpeed Buggy Reply with quote

Thought I'd post a couple shots of the new buggy I'm building for an all out assault on the current record of 121mph. This chassis will allow me to race on the much longer 2.25 mile track. The buggy body has been narrowed a foot and will have a bunch of work done on the fenders to make them as slippery as possible. The basic frame is 2x2" and 1x2" .125" wall square tube and the roll cage will be 1 5/8 .120 wall tubing. The wheel base has been narrowed 10 inches front and back and stretched 8" out the back. I made the front beam from scratch and the rear will feature SPAX coilover shocks with custom trailing arms holding up 5" narrowed SAW swing axles. The front wheels are spindle mounts with M&H 22" front runners and the rear will be 26" or 28" x 4.5" Goodyear front runners.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

brad
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: LandSpeed Buggy Reply with quote

Super cool Wink
rubenski
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: LandSpeed Buggy Reply with quote

keep us updated!

looks cool indeed!
GS guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:39 am    Post subject: Re: LandSpeed Buggy Reply with quote

Is that an old Deserter body? Rear fenders have the look.
Cool project.
Jeff
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: LandSpeed Buggy Reply with quote

GS guy wrote:
Is that an old Deserter body? Rear fenders have the look.
Cool project.
Jeff

That's what I was thinking as well Jeff.

Unfortunately the body was very hacked up when I got it. The front firewall and rear luggage area were cut out as well as most of the gas tank surround. The dash was also missing. Fortunately is was free and was exactly what I was looking for and I don't have to cut up an intact body.

brad
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: LandSpeed Buggy Reply with quote

Front beam is bolted in and chassis is setting on it's front wheels. As soon as they are cut I can mount the rear coilovers and suspend the back end also

I used long end castings to move the suspension in out of the wind as much as possible. It's still a brick but every little bit helps.

brad

Last edited by slalombuggy on Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tom_Kathleen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: LandSpeed Buggy Reply with quote

Can you still call it a "Dune Buggy" for land speed racing when it is 12" narrower and a single seat? Based on your past results, I have no doubt it will be fast, but what class would it be in? Tom
Manxter #16, 1968 Meyers Manx & Kick-Out SS #16 (WIP)
Manx Club & CVA
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: LandSpeed Buggy Reply with quote

It will still be a dunebuggy and be plated and insured as per class rules. I don't know how much street time it will see, but it's passed the scrutinee of the VW committee to run as a buggy. It will still look like a buggy from the side profile. The rear tires will be in a bit of an odd place though.

brad
Singerdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: LandSpeed Buggy Reply with quote

Awesome project Brad Smile

It seems to me that your chassis would've been a great fit for a Toad body, but hey! you can't argue with free stuff. I still like the narrow look and I am anxious to see the thing finished.

I hope this project goes smoothly. I will be following this. Popcorn
wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: LandSpeed Buggy Reply with quote

That is super cool. Hope to see it run at the Flats when you bring it there.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: LandSpeed Buggy Reply with quote

Interesting build... At times I have had a few daydreams of doing same sort of build..... Oh well.... Will be following this build...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
BIGMIKEY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: LandSpeed Buggy Reply with quote

Not a Deserter body. The rear fenders are much too rounded. Deserter Series 1 has a flat on the side with a pronounced corner from the top edge. Check my gallery for pictures if you wish to verify and compare. I don't want to clutter up your great thread with pictures of my junk. Also both Deserter body styles had a round indent for the badge in the hood front.

Coincidentally there is a buggy with your rear fenders on page 24 of the Identify the Buggy! sticky. Two of them actually. They don't know what they are either. But if there are two, maybe three then they must have a name.

Mike T

Deserter Series 1 project.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=787047&highlight=

1973 Beetle Driver, Marina Blue.
Bluggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: LandSpeed Buggy Reply with quote

Nice build, reminds me of the 1940 to 1950ies Formula 1 cars Very Happy

Very nice fabrication Applause
GS guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:33 am    Post subject: Re: LandSpeed Buggy Reply with quote

You might think about incorporating a Zero Roll rear suspension set-up into your design. Much better at keeping the SA rear camber under control and keeping those tires flat on the ground/salt/riverbed.
Jeff
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: LandSpeed Buggy Reply with quote

GS guy wrote:
You might think about incorporating a Zero Roll rear suspension set-up into your design. Much better at keeping the SA rear camber under control and keeping those tires flat on the ground/salt/riverbed.
Jeff

The rear springs are 500lb springs, they aren't going to move a lot. If I have to worry about roll control on the rear suspension, I have bigger issues. They spend days dragging the track so it is smooth and once we are up to speed we skip over the little stuff. I am using a FV style internal sway bar in the front and will probably build a sway bar for the rear to help keep the car more stable if I do get a cross wind as has happened to me a couple of times.

Cage day tomorrow and tonight I am picking up my upper rear shock mounts and front firewall to mount the steering rack.......Hopeful to maybe start planning sheet metal work with my other fabricator friend next week to start skinning in the sides and floor. Side skins and cockpit floor will be aluminum. Bottom floor under entire chassis will be .100" aluminum. I'll be melting some lead into various tubes to try and add about 200lbs to the chassis.

brad

Last edited by slalombuggy on Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: LandSpeed Buggy Reply with quote

Why so heavy?

I understand narrowing the body and center steer, but did you consider cutting the body and making it longer?
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
GS guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: LandSpeed Buggy Reply with quote

So what size engine is going in that hot rod? High winding 1200 with IDA's? Very Happy
Jeff
rodjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: LandSpeed Buggy Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
Why so heavy?

I was wondering the same? To be fair, I don't know much about landspeed cars, but from my drag racing point of view, it looks like nice work, but really heavy.

Of course, I guess, the thrust ssc is kinda heavy too, and it's pretty fast. Smile
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: LandSpeed Buggy Reply with quote

Why so heavy? Because weight is stability and traction. I built my Oval LSR car light like a drag car and it was a nightmare handling over long distance. The front end was too light, the rear weight bias was too much and the rear kept trying to pass the front on the rough track we had that year.

This car will be traveling at over 100mph for 2 miles. I need weight on the rear tires to help push down through the loose salt and keep the rear tires from spinning (I had 20% wheel spin on my last buggy) I also need weight on the front to keep the wheels in contact with the rough surface. Even though it is well groomed there is bumps and dips and after some of the bigger cars run they can tear up the track pretty good. The car can bounce around a lot.

The FAST cars are really heavy. Streamliners can easily weigh 3-4 tons or more as the rely on weight alone to keep them on the ground. A production body car can weigh 2 tons by the time water tanks, cage and fire systems are added, not to mention how much lead many of these car are carrying. Dick Beiths "Bugliner" has 400lbs of concrete poured into the front of it and Burly Burlile's Beetle had almost 700lbs of ballast added to it to keep it on the ground. I've also heard Bob Stahl's Beetle is incredibly heavy but can't remember the exact weight.

I'm leaving the body it's manufactured length so I can put it lower on the chassis. If I stretched it, I would have to raise it up to clear the engine. The engine will actually sit behind the body with the carb intakes about even with the top of the body.

brad
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: LandSpeed Buggy Reply with quote

GS guy wrote:
So what size engine is going in that hot rod? High winding 1200 with IDA's? Very Happy
Jeff

So far it's going to be my 2332cc. But we may stick in a big 36hp based engine to run in another class if time permits.

Got started on the topside yesterday.

brad
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 19

Jump to: