Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

T-Bucket Barn find
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Buzz65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 7:37 pm    Post subject: T-Bucket Barn find Reply with quote

Not really sure what I'm going to do with this but deal was too good.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Dan the workingstiff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: T-Bucket Barn find Reply with quote

Wow, that's pretty sweet!
'76 IH 1200
'75 IH 1200
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: T-Bucket Barn find Reply with quote

That is interesting. I don't think that is the kit version that I've seen before because I don't recall seeing that interesting reversed front suspension. A cool find and very worth preserving.
Buzz65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: T-Bucket Barn find Reply with quote

Custom built by Bob Hourigan, RIP Bob

Last edited by Buzz65 on Sun May 01, 2022 6:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 3:29 am    Post subject: Re: T-Bucket Barn find Reply with quote

I'd run it!

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 4:25 am    Post subject: Re: T-Bucket Barn find Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:
I'd run it!

Absolutely!
vanderjw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 4:47 am    Post subject: Re: T-Bucket Barn find Reply with quote

If you want to flip it, contact me! Thats a cool car,
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VolksRodT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: T-Bucket Barn find Reply with quote

My favorite type of vw.

More detail pics, Please.

Guessing it was built off of the ~'67/'68 R&C mag VolksRod plans. If you have some frame shots, I might be able to tell you if it was that(or the same commercially available chassis from Dode Martin) or a Kent Fuller chassis.

Don't remember ever seeing this one in any mag articles &/or side-pics. Still, appears nicely done.

I like it. Looks like a good attempt was made to create close-to proper Ackerman for the reversed trailing arms. Have you driven it yet? I'm quite curious how it drives & handles.

Marcus...
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: T-Bucket Barn find Reply with quote

I would have opened the checkbook....
aquavette
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: T-Bucket Barn find Reply with quote

That's killer!
I'd clean and freshen it up, and drive it just as is.
Would love to find one of these myself.
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: T-Bucket Barn find Reply with quote

It's a very cool looking street rod and I hope you. enjoy driving it.

I would like to caution you the way the entire engine is covered and the style of fan shroud and oil cooler the engine will run hot and overheat. It can be corrected but you will need to make a few changes.
MrGoodtunes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: T-Bucket Barn find Reply with quote

Don't worry too much about the angled fan shroud; as long as you use the wide blade fan (the one for dog house shroud), and make certain that only cool air can get to the fan inlet (i.e. no spent cooling air suck'd in from underneath, and no exhaust circling back via rolling eddy currents - might require using an inlet duct or directing cool air in there with a deflector). Mine works great.

What help'd most was a 6~7" inlet duct from an outside scoop:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8739263&highlight=#8739263
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: T-Bucket Barn find Reply with quote

I get the impression its a steel body and on a custom hand built frame.... Cool Ride....

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Buzz65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: T-Bucket Barn find Reply with quote

It seems to be a mix of metal, fiberglass & wood. Cleaned up pretty nice

stevemariott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: T-Bucket Barn find Reply with quote

Very, very cool! Very Happy
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: T-Bucket Barn find Reply with quote

You might look into getting some brakes up front. If it is registered as a 1920's car I guess they aren't required. If it has a newer year on the title that's likely a very visible equipment violation, and possible ticket. Even beach buggies with little weight up front stop quite a bit better with some front brakes.
Buzz65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: T-Bucket Barn find Reply with quote

It's registered as a 65 on non op so I think the brake issue is ok. Low speed cruiser?
VolksRodT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: T-Bucket Barn find Reply with quote

Hey, Buzz65;

From what I can see, it's not a Kent Fuller frame or kit. I'd bet it's not a Dode Martin chassis/kit either, although someone could've asked for that mod, but the frame is wrong. Hard to tell w/the body pan covering it. I'm betting it was home-constructed from the R&C plans(which were purposely designed to encourage innovation & use what you can. IIRC, the reversed spindles were suggested, & a pic shown in a sidebar of a sand buggy), or possibly from the plans Dode sold - which were more comprehensive. The front & rear crossmembers are very different from any plans.

The Dode chassis, developed by LeRoi "Tex" Smith & Tom "Stroker" Medley(at Dodes' request to commercialize it), after eyeballing/talking to Kent, was a chromemoly round tube trapezoidal shape w/straight sides. Kents' chassis rails followed the lower body curves(more foot room). AFAIK, neither Dode nor Kent sold very many chassis or kits. Everybody, esp women & kids, loved the wee-little beasties, but very few hotrodders would cough up the coin for a kit. Although it was primarily designed to be built at home, Dodes' chassis n kit were a builders' aide. From what I've been told - hotrodders hated them cause they used an acvw mill, & volksie guys hated them cause they used a non-vw roadster body/chassis/etc. As far as I'm concerned - anyone that can piss off 2 groups simultaneously & have enormous fun doing it, + looking good on top of it, is perfect in my book... Very Happy . BTW; Kent sold the rights/jigs to Speedway Motors in Lincoln, Neb, who called the kit: VX-23. Didn't sell well at all, & as a result, they pulled it from the market as it had no front brakes & Speedy didn't want to "engineer" a set.

Still like it. Dave is right on the cooling air - w/o a proper pan like vw used, the mill will cook, eventually. Personal experience here. Was involved in a number of acvw-based "thingee" builds at Mankato State Collage(eons ago), & at least one of the latest projects cooked a mill on a (cross-country) trip to Bellingham, WA. I got to rebuild the mill in a motel pkg lot overnite. Made it to Wash. DC, & back home, but the reason was no cooling air vs intake air separation. They had a vertical shroud around the engine for splash protection, but no-one did the horizontal panel. It was a large student group effort, but was overlooked by the prof, & everyone else at the time. Ooops...

If you get some more shots of the rear & front corners of the frame, & under where the cowl transitions from the firewall->the door edge, it'd be a bit more info. There was at least 1 built w/~1.5"x3"x1/8" rectangular tubing following typical streetrod T-bucket format.

Too bad more folks don't build these. It's on my short list of wanted/(needed?) fun to build & use. Age n health is arguing, but interest is still high, even since ~'67. Not a practical car, at least here, but it's gotta be 'bout = in fun to a ZX-11D.
Clean it, use it, enjoy it. You'll probably need some spl permanent-grin-removing solution - start searching... Very Happy .

Even though some of the build aspects are crude, I'd guess build is ~ mid-80's->mid 90's. Any info on the builder, & car, from the folks you got this from?

Marcus...

These should be capable of highway speeds. But are really light in the front, so that can be hairy at times. In the 60's n 70's, front brakes on T-buckets weren't used much. & a lot of other streetrods didn't have them either. Didn't say I like(d) that or that it is/was smart. Tom did a couple of articles on designing & installing brakes on his VWT, he used some small Airheart calipers n large gokart disks, IIRC. Sounds stupid/horrible, but remember, most of these VWTs only had~300 lbs on the front end & also used rather smallish tires in width. So stopping ability(ies) are limited. &, some of these cars could weigh in the neighborhood of ~800(if very careful)->1200lbs. There is a sorta famous pic of one of Kents' customers holding up the frontend of his VWT for the CHP - which he did often. Very Happy . Most of the ones I know/knew about were used on 2-lane roads, as it was about getting there to the event + seeing the sights on the way to the destination. Not about racking up fast times/mileage aka cannonballrun.

Marcus...

Last edited by VolksRodT on Mon May 09, 2022 7:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: T-Bucket Barn find Reply with quote

I hate to be a Debbie Downer because this is a cool project.

I seriously question the stability of the entire front end with the trailing arms reversed and pointed forwards. I would do some research on this. Owning a Fiberglass Dunebuggy I would install front brakes. Even just sone stock drum brakes will make it a lot safer to drive on the streets.
VolksRodT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: T-Bucket Barn find Reply with quote

Forgot to add this:
I wouldn't drive it far, much less fast, w/the current front end. I'd put a lightweight dropped tube axle, using one set of torsion bars - like the orig plans, & Kent did. Might have to redo the steering box n draglink.
Reversed trailing links ok(?) for sand, but I don't think they'd work well on the street.
Dave is also correct about this.
Marcus...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: