Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Lobro CV Joints on EMPI Shafts - Is it possible?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
caseyl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:07 pm    Post subject: Lobro CV Joints on EMPI Shafts - Is it possible? Reply with quote

Can I put Lobro CV joints on the shaft that comes with the new EMPI axleshafts?

If I can't where can I buy used or aftermarket Lobro compatible axleshafts.

Thanks!
snwbrdr435
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Lobro CV Joints on EMPI Shafts - Is it possible? Reply with quote

What trans are you tossing these on auto or man? I have a few auto axle shafts in my parts bin and am also in MA..
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Lobro CV Joints on EMPI Shafts - Is it possible? Reply with quote

caseyl wrote:
Can I put Lobro CV joints on the shaft that comes with the new EMPI axleshafts?

If I can't where can I buy used or aftermarket Lobro compatible axleshafts.

Thanks!

Yes, we installed a set of 944 joints on a buddies rig that had empi axles. This was a manual. His new empi joints lasted about 2000 miles. We were on a road trip when they failed, van cafe overnighted him some new 944 joints. I was concerned about the fit but it was fine and still going strong for him. I would have to presume that lobro would also work if the 944s did
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Lobro CV Joints on EMPI Shafts - Is it possible? Reply with quote

The axles are compatible with all CV's for Vanagon. There is no difference in the splines between CV manufacturers. Axle lengths are different between manual and auto trans.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Lobro CV Joints on EMPI Shafts - Is it possible? Reply with quote

Some axles have a spline diameter that is just a skosh bigger than stock and the Lobro CVs can be a tight fit. The spline count is the same and the Lobro CVs will fit, but it's tight.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
caseyl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Lobro CV Joints on EMPI Shafts - Is it possible? Reply with quote

Thanks guys! I will rebuild these shafts with Lobro CV's.

snwbrdr435 wrote:
What trans are you tossing these on auto or man? I have a few auto axle shafts in my parts bin and am also in MA..

I am actually in Orange County CA right now for work. I will send you a PM we should meet up when I get back to MA... If I go back!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: