Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

rebuild done!
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:17 pm    Post subject: rebuild done! Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

took a long time but here's what's been done to a 90K mile 2.1 core going into my 87 Westy:

- rebuilt con rods
- new AMC heads
- new Goetze rings
- new coolant hoses, water pump, radiator, thermoswitch
- new T Stat, pressure tank, ECU sensor, coolant lines
- new injectors, refurbed AFM, throttle body (seals and switch cleaning), intake rubbers, sand blast manifolds, paint, new fuel lines, fuel pump, tank lines and grommets
- added oil pressure and temp senders
- new oil cooler (had a spare)
- new idle stabilizer and idle ECU (had them as spares so in they go)
- new CB oil pump
- disassembled and cleaned lifters
- new rear crank seal + SpeediSleeved crank pulley
- reconditioned flywheel
- new clutch + diesel pilot bearing
- rebuilt alternator + starter
- new motor mounts + Powerflex front trans mount
- rebuilt 091/1 trans (was working but did it pre-emptively, 3-4 hub slightly cracked!)
- new SS exhaust (my treat to myself!) + Walker cat

that's all i can remember right now. still have to put in the new radiator, do the gas tank vent lines, repair some rodent wiring damage, and a few other things.

-dan

Last edited by DanHoug on Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:05 am; edited 4 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dlb154
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: rebuild almost done Reply with quote

CLEAN!

Nice work
Syncronoid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: rebuild almost done Reply with quote

Plastic fuel rails?!
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:18 am    Post subject: Re: rebuild almost done Reply with quote

engine in, runs great!! huge relief, culmination of lots of time, parts, and head-scratching. quiet, no knocks of deep disturbings, idles with very little shake. haven't driven it yet (trans rebuild still an unknown!) as i have to do front brakes this weekend.

i'm going to run an old O2 sensor for the first 100 miles until i dump the oil as i used a fair amount of Sil-Glyde silicone paste on the o-rings and the steel head sealing rings to keep them in place during assembly. shudda used grease there in retrospect. also, have copper antiseize all over the exhaust parts so that needs to burn off too.

ended up buying new injectors as the 4 i'd rebuilt failed casuing a no-start a few days ago on my first attempt. 3 locked up with no buzz/squirt and one was a leaker. they'd sat for about 2 months after cleaning and i must've left an incompatible cleaning solution in them. i bought 4 of the BWD 57530P injectors at O'Reilly and each one worked and had a nice pattern. they list for $68 each and i asked for the "good guy discount" and they surprized me with a price of $42. hoses on the injectors are "Made in Germany" which was nice to see.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:40 am    Post subject: Re: rebuild almost done Reply with quote

Looking good!! 👍

Did you put on an oil pressure gauge?

Highly advise that you do so, sooner rather than later. Find out what the reused internals are doing. Though Idaho Doug was less than pleased with his readings!! 😤

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:56 am    Post subject: Re: rebuild almost done Reply with quote

Syncronoid wrote:
Plastic fuel rails?!

Since you are using the oem fuel rails, take them off and turn them around.
It makes no difference to the flow, but if you have the crimped on metal cap at the rear you can easily see when you open the engine cover to check for leaks.
On some that you come across the bottom side is rusted and you cannot see this at all unless you crawl under. One pair I saw the lower half of the crimp was eaten completely through on both sides. They were not leaking, but it's a no brainer they might have let loose in dramatic fashion!

Just having the caps at the rear is just a little bit more peace of mind on an old plastic part.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: rebuild almost done Reply with quote

yup. oil temp and pressure. haven't taken it out on the road yet but idle OP at about 80C oil temp/ normal water temp is above 20psi with 10-40 oil.

used the gauge pod that goes in the ashtray. looks very cool.

kept the original dynamic oil system to yell at me should i miss the gauge. using a 3500psi grease gun flex line to a Tee holding original sender plus gauge sender, after exiting block with an M10x1.0 > 1/8 NPT adapter. while the threads are close, i just couldn't stand the thought of ramming an NPT male into a straight cut hole. the oil temp sender is screwed into the oil pressure relief spring cover using the GoWesty adapter. very slick.

-dan
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:59 am    Post subject: Re: rebuild almost done Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Looking good!! 👍

Did you put on an oil pressure gauge?

Highly advise that you do so, sooner rather than later. Find out what the reused internals are doing. Though Idaho Doug was less than pleased with his readings!! 😤

Dave

Agree with the oil pressure gage so you can see what the new readings are for comparison later on.

I missed that thread from Idaho Doug, what did he get for pressures?

DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:06 am    Post subject: Re: rebuild almost done Reply with quote

Steve- wish i'd seen your post about turning the manifolds around last night! had the injectors out for replacement. makes total sense to turn them around. i keep a very clean engine and this is one disadvantage as it is harder to see fuel seepage without the dirt.

without the AC compressor and bracket, i have great access. it'll be easy to keep an eye on them.

-dan
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: rebuild almost done Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:
Steve- wish i'd seen your post about turning the manifolds around last night! had the injectors out for replacement. makes total sense to turn them around. i keep a very clean engine and this is one disadvantage as it is harder to see fuel seepage without the dirt.

without the AC compressor and bracket, i have great access. it'll be easy to keep an eye on them.

-dan

Isn't that always the way! 😉

Waldi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: rebuild done! Reply with quote

Very nice !

I would install an external oil cooler.
Always better pressure with cooler oil.

"- rebuilt 091/1 trans (was working but did it pre-emptively, 3-4 hub slightly cracked!) "

Thats how it should be.
Much better than changing oil and waiting untill something breaks.
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: rebuild done! Reply with quote

yeah, the oil cooler is on my list. sounds like that can really keep the bottom end going longer.

just had a weird fuel pump failure... had a leak right at the positive terminal under the rubber boot! ok, go out to my donor van to pull that one and i snap the outlet of the fp off wrestling with frozen rubber mounts. ok, call NAPA to see if they have one, show a Bosch in stock, have them go look for it and they just sent it back to the warehouse this morning! obviously, it is not my morning to run the van.

-dan
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: rebuild done! Reply with quote

I'm just installing Vaniston.com's oil cooler.
Very nice well thought out kit with everything you need for the installation.

stevey88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: rebuild done! Reply with quote

Dan,
Did you O-ringed the new oil pump?

87 Westfalia full camper 4 speed
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: rebuild done! Reply with quote

nope on the o-ring. converntional gaskets with Gasgascinch dressing. had zero cover clearance without a gasket so i used the very thin one that came with the pump and have about .0035 clearance. a bit much but not bad. the cover gasket in the Victor gasket set was waaaay too thick.

-dan
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: rebuild done! Reply with quote

I knew I should stop working on the 944 and see what's happening over here!

Good job on the oil pump. That's worth the time to check clearances and custom adjust as you did. Bet you also checked your pump cover for flatness and maybe flattened it.

So, my story was I partly rebuilt an unknown spare engine with new con rod bearings, rings etc and did not crack the case. It ran a few hours and with oil pressure dropping (I'd also put on the oil pressure gauge from Van Cafe thank goodness) I gave up on it, and sent my van's original block to a shop for a rebuild. Then I built it up from that solid base. Smooth, powerful, zip oil consumption, great oil pressure, etc. I think I called the thread "Failed..." so look for that word.

Nice, Dan! In MN you are getting it together just in time so you'll stop wrenching as it gets cold.

Doug
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: rebuild done! Reply with quote

yeah, i lapped the cover. debated using the fairly heavy cast aluminum cover that came with the new pump as opinion seemed about split but a couple of good posts about how the steel cover with the upturned flange is way stronger. so i just sanded that out a touch. either one is probably fine.

the van has been in my garage for close to 10 months and it is time to have it get out! doing front brake calipers (wheels hardly turn), discs, and bearings tomorrow, put the new fuel pump in and take it for its maiden voyage after not running for over 12 years! fingers crossed for the tranny rebuild.

the motorcycles and my car feel neglected, as they have been.

-dan
stevey88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: rebuild done! Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:
nope on the o-ring. converntional gaskets with Gasgascinch dressing. had zero cover clearance without a gasket so i used the very thin one that came with the pump and have about .0035 clearance. a bit much but not bad. the cover gasket in the Victor gasket set was waaaay too thick.

-dan

I mean the O-ring that sit in the groove ( you have to machine that ) around the body of the pump. The after market pump is too loose in the bore. I put in the CB pump for my rebuild and found the oil pressure drop too much when the oil is hot. I end up removing the oil pump and machine the groove to put in the O-ring. I got 18psi at idle after that with a very hot engine. You can put the O-ringed oil pump in after the case halves are sealed as long as you round out the oil ports on the case ( so they will not cut the O-ring ) before you push the pump in. There is enough room to remove and replace the oil pump after removing the muffler and the heat shield. Let's see how much is your oil pressure with a hot engine.

87 Westfalia full camper 4 speed
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: rebuild done! Reply with quote

just an update... i'd put a bad O2 sensor in because i knew i had silicone in some parts of the engine from the Sil-Glyde lubricant on various bits. engine was running well but sluggish, i was hopeful it was just the O2 sensor messing with me.

tonite i dumped the startup oil with only about 40 miles on it and put in fresh 15-50 Mobil 1. went for a drive. engine totally woke up, great throttle response and power one would expect from a good engine. happy camper. oil had the metallic swirlies so good to dump it early.

oil pressue is great with the 15-50. had about 18psi on the drivers side port at 110C oil temp. easily make 10 psi per 1000 rpm.

-dan
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: rebuild done! Reply with quote

Nice, Dan. High five across the miles from beautiful N. Idaho.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: