Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ride-On goes Subaru power
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Ride-On goes Subaru power Reply with quote

If it's any help, I might be able to source one also, but that wouldn't be until next W/E.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Ride-On goes Subaru power Reply with quote

I have a 1973 tank that is in good shape.

So you'd then only have to figure out how you're going to return the fuel to the tank.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Ride-On goes Subaru power Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:

So you'd then only have to figure out how you're going to return the fuel to the tank.

That can't be that hard, is it? Even plumbing a piece of SS pipe into a hole with a gasoline resistant grommet - then putting the grommet in a place where it can be easily inspected and replaced, would work.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Ride-On goes Subaru power Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
vwwestyman wrote:

That can't be that hard, is it? Even plumbing a piece of SS pipe into a hole with a gasoline resistant grommet - then putting the grommet in a place where it can be easily inspected and replaced, would work.

Yeah, it's probably not too difficult to do something. I know I've read about people doing things like this, or maybe adding the return to one of the vent lines or something like that. I'm sure there are several ways to skin that cat.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Ride-On goes Subaru power Reply with quote

I have read more than once that plumbing the return to a vent line can cause bubbles as a result of splashing that can be sucked into the fuel intake. A return from the bottom of the tank eliminates that. But ya gotta work with whatcha got.
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Ride-On goes Subaru power Reply with quote

In-tank pump at the sender and use the old supply line for the return...?
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Ride-On goes Subaru power Reply with quote

tristessa wrote:
I know of a good used tank in a wrecked bus here in Oregon that might be available, hasn't had gas in it in a couple of years so should be OK to ship .. since I don't think Stuart's doing a banzai run anytime soon shipping will have to be done. Lemmie check with the owner and see if he has plans for it, but since his Bus and his daughter's Bus both have good tanks in them it may be available.

Any Greyhound or Amtrak stations nearby? I've shipped bulky things that way before, usually less hassle than UPS or FedEx.

thanks tristessa, I will get back to you. just when I thought I have pissed every last person in the world off, I had a huge outpouring of help with a tank. guess I need to try harder, huh? Laughing

I will keep that in mind, and let you know over the next few days if something doesn't pan out.

so, fitting the 5 speed is a bit more of a challenge than originally thought. truth be told, there is more cutting to the bus than I would really like to do...so if you go 5 speed (at least on a late bay) the reversibility option kind of fades off into the sunset somewhat.

I will save the cut off bits for Ride-On. should he choose to keep them or not is his deal. I won't be the one to toss the bits.....

bye bye heater Y

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

and the upper transmission support needs a good trimming too

transmixer on the jack

and temporarily in its new home

sadly, the Subaru nose cone keeps the shift lever off to the side

I am working on a fix for this. one of the issues is the shift rod is 2mm bigger than that of the Subaru shift lever.

more than likely I will end up with some sort of U-Joint arrangement with some additional support to the shift rod. I am thinking that the OE shift rod bushings will hate life with the added strain.

kind of interested to see how this pulls together, in some ways I think there would be less body mods to an early bay/split bus than the later buses.

I still have to fine tune my cuts somewhat, but wanted to rough in what I could.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
captincanuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Ride-On goes Subaru power Reply with quote

From how much you had to trim that support can I assume you were able to get the transmission set farther forward? Were you able to maintain the stock CV angle?
For the U joint the Subaru steering joint has been working great for me.
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Ride-On goes Subaru power Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
thanks tristessa, I will get back to you. just when I thought I have pissed every last person in the world off, I had a huge outpouring of help with a tank. guess I need to try harder, huh? Laughing

I will keep that in mind, and let you know over the next few days if something doesn't pan out.

Try harder at pissing every last person in the world off if it brings you joy to do so. You're my kind of asshole -- a *likable* asshole. Laughing No hurry on the tank on my end unless you're in one, but I haven't heard back from the tank's owner on that subject .. though he did send video this afternoon of his EJ22 running on the test stand... Twisted Evil Keep me posted so I know what's going on.

For whatever it's worth, cable shift has been working really nicely with my 5-speed, but it's an entirely different engine and transaxle from what you're dealing with. I went to that when I couldn't figure how to connect the shift rod to the transmission selector shaft without a bunch of monkey-fucking and cutting .. though the Passat 012 selector is both farther to the side (and the other side!) and farther rearwards than what I'm seeing in your pics there. Still .. might be viable.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Ride-On goes Subaru power Reply with quote

captincanuck wrote:
From how much you had to trim that support can I assume you were able to get the transmission set farther forward? Were you able to maintain the stock CV angle?
For the U joint the Subaru steering joint has been working great for me.

yes/no/maybe

it can only go as far forward as the mount will allow it. typically from what I have seen on late bays the end of the pitch fork on the trans is pretty level with the bar bolted to the torsion housing.

seeing I am just laying stuff out at the moment, I have yet to install the CV's yet, but eyeballing it they do look off, which is a shame...

how are your joints doing running at that angle?

I have to get the trans to it's happy place then level the engine and center it side to side. that is going to be un-fun, or funless. the 091 hanging from it's OE mounts was a huge advantage to keeping the driveline true.

what I am going to have to do is level the bus 100% front/rear/side to side before I make everything to hang the engine.

I am going to use a U Joint arrangement. seems like it may be a cleaner install? dunno....but it will accomplish the same thing. the rear shift rod will need a support I think. it seems to me that there is too much unsupported rod hanging out of the shift tube. we like our rods supported here

tristessa wrote:

Try harder at pissing every last person in the world off if it brings you joy to do so. You're my kind of asshole -- a *likable* asshole.

thank you Laughing

had a member here from Georgia the other night. I don't think I scared him away.....guess I'm a little nicer in person (just a little) Very Happy

I will let everyone know on the tank situation. HUGE thank you for stepping up guys, it's awesome that you'd do that for us Embarassed

I bet cable shift would be neat, but a bit overkill for us (I think) as it is I actually feel guilty with some of the cuts to make the 5 speed work, but hey, you need to break some eggs to make an omelet, right?

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
RocketSurgeon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Ride-On goes Subaru power Reply with quote

On my shift rod I used two 3/4” U joints with a small shim to tighten it up. Other guys have used linear bearings to support the shaft, I have a clean little 3Dprinted support that mounts to the frame. You may need to hammer out some clearance under the floor so the U joints don’t hit. It definitely looks like you can angle the trans up more in a late bay vs an early bay by trimming that mount. It might point the rod out of the trans down enough so you don’t have to Hamer anything too bad.

Keep up the awesome work!
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Ride-On goes Subaru power Reply with quote

Break the eggs!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:50 am    Post subject: Re: Ride-On goes Subaru power Reply with quote

Yes...plenty of egg breaking for sure.

Honestly subarugears service is spotty at best. I need to make the connection between the bus and trans, but was thinking keep the bus shifter in neutral, and the trans in neutral...measure what I need to and make the connection

Subaru 5 sped users....what do you say? Its the only thing that makes sense in my mind...

Problem with subarugears is they leave this shit up to the end user....and steal the idea...and market it as their own

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
captincanuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Ride-On goes Subaru power Reply with quote

how are your joints doing running at that angle?

Have put about 2500 miles on the conversion so far. Just had the joints off to replace the new (crap) boots. Joints all seemed nice and tight with no sign of objection to the new angle.

For setting up the shift linkage, what you are thinking is exactly what I did. Secure the shifter the N position, transmission in N and cut the rod to length leaving enough to secure the U joint.

The rod will be way to floppy without some support or bearing. The linear one I used keeps everything tight.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Ride-On goes Subaru power Reply with quote

thanks cap'n

that was my fear....the flop that is. I have a few ideas on what could be done to make is solid. what could possibly go wrong? Very Happy

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
Squeeze Cheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Ride-On goes Subaru power Reply with quote

had a member here from Georgia the other night. I don't think I scared him away.....guess I'm a little nicer in person (just a little) Very Happy

I resemble that remark!

(Actually, he was rather cordial, but the wine and cheese platter was a bit much.)
78' Dakota Beige Westy. “Skills” EJ25 engine conversion w/ zero mile factory short block, Delta 1000 cams, heater core and modified Gilmore AC. Matt Steedle 091 transaxle upgrade w/ 4.14 ring and pinion, Folts aluminum gear carrier. General Grabber AT2s on stock wheels. Solar powered aux battery w/ inverter.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Ride-On goes Subaru power Reply with quote

Laughing

Too funny...more like beef jerkey and kraft singles

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Ride-On goes Subaru power Reply with quote

Too funny...more like beef jerkey and kraft singles

You didn't break out the good stuff? I'm disappointed...

Gas tank I thought was here out west is gone but he thinks he has a different one up in the shop loft.
pkrboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Ride-On goes Subaru power Reply with quote

Honestly subarugears service is spotty at best. I need to make the connection between the bus and trans, but was thinking keep the bus shifter in neutral, and the trans in neutral...measure what I need to and make the connection

Subaru 5 sped users....what do you say? Its the only thing that makes sense in my mind...

Problem with subarugears is they leave this shit up to the end user....and steal the idea...and market it as their own

i used a beetle steering uj like subaru gears talk about. i opened out the holes and drilled a hole through to pin to to the vw shift rod and used the existing hole in the scooby shift rod:

i have an aftermarket trafficcox shifter so that takes out any slop
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Ride-On goes Subaru power Reply with quote

pkrboo wrote:

i used a beetle steering uj like subaru gears talk about. i opened out the holes and drilled a hole through to pin to to the vw shift rod and used the existing hole in the scooby shift rod:

i have an aftermarket trafficcox shifter so that takes out any slop

That is the ticket, maybe with a bearing to support the tail end of the shifter shaft.

Something like this?
http://www.patrickmotorsports.com/part/914-gear-sh...bulk-head/

Good luck
Tcash
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Jump to:
Page 6 of 23

Jump to: