Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ride-On goes Subaru power
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Ride-On goes Subaru power Reply with quote

Or install a plate for a shift bushing?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Ride-On goes Subaru power Reply with quote

self-aligning maintenance-free spherical bearings
http://www.igus.eu/wpck/2510/productoverview_igubal
Ride_On
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Ride-On goes Subaru power Reply with quote

So a thought struck me the other day... So happy to have found the gas tank problems at this point because, really, I had no idea. I can't recall the first time I fuelled up the bus, but it was 2013 at least. Could have been a few years earlier too. 3/4 tank was a "full" tank of fuel. I did a bit of research and found that the contacts on the sender can wear down over time. Great! That must be it. Turns out we'd refuel every 2hrs, for up to about 40L - I was aware the tank was larger than this so sometimes went further into the red zone thinking I likely had a buffer, but not wanting to do it much due to possible rust and crap in the bottom of the tank.

Oops! So yea, as you see it, it's revised capacity was likely about 42L or under 11 gallons.

Let's not tell my wife just how close we were to empty though, deal? She HATES it when I (compulsively) stretch a tank. Awesome, thanks! 😁

(Oops, fixed some autocorrects)

Last edited by Ride_On on Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Ride-On goes Subaru power Reply with quote

tristessa wrote:
skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
Too funny...more like beef jerkey and kraft singles

You didn't break out the good stuff? I'm disappointed...

Gas tank I thought was here out west is gone but he thinks he has a different one up in the shop loft.

that IS the GOOD stuff. I keep it under wraps Cool

HUGE shout out and thank you to WM971252 for providing a CLEAN tank! just think how much more driving you can do Ride-On Laughing

clutch master has been kicking my sorry ass, but I think I have it under control. I will post some photos soon. it is in the absolute worse location from a service standpoint, but will be tucked high to keep it protected from the weather.

trying to calculate the swing so the clutch pedal had full range (all the way up, and to the floor) was a HUGE ass ache, but it's all mocked up and need to make it real.

been lot's of challenges from my normal builds, all of which are solvable for sure. like anything in life, it's full of compromises but I can only do what I can do.

photos in the next day or so....

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Sloride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Ride-On goes Subaru power Reply with quote

Keep at it Skills. I can't wait to see the finished product when Ride-on brings the bus back to Ottawa.

I'm going to guess you have been reaching out to fellows speed shop in the UK. They are pumping out the Subaru swaps. They must have figured out the transmission linkage by now.

Link to the engine swap:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=565304&highlight=

1964 Ruby Red Beetle

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=705757&highlight=ruby+red
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Ride-On goes Subaru power Reply with quote

I have reached out to no one. I don't like 1/2 of the off the shelf stuff....actually make that 2/3 of it...

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Ride-On goes Subaru power Reply with quote

clutch master has been kicking my sorry ass, but I think I have it under control.

Curious how you're handling that -- I put mine under the floor on the diagonal frame section with a remote reservoir meant for a D*dge behind the kick panel. Works fine with full/nearly full range of travel, feels like a Bus clutch pedal. Laughing Audi 80/90 master, ran 3/16" cupronickel line back to the slave.

I *had* pictures online, but .. Photobucket. Rolling Eyes
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Ride-On goes Subaru power Reply with quote

How about a T into the line between the upper and lower brake fluid reservoirs?

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Ride-On goes Subaru power Reply with quote

tristessa wrote:
clutch master has been kicking my sorry ass, but I think I have it under control.

Curious how you're handling that -- I put mine under the floor on the diagonal frame section with a remote reservoir meant for a D*dge behind the kick panel. Works fine with full/nearly full range of travel, feels like a Bus clutch pedal. Laughing Audi 80/90 master, ran 3/16" cupronickel line back to the slave.

I *had* pictures online, but .. Photobucket. Rolling Eyes

if you use google chrome, run the add on and you can see every photobucket pic...

vwwestyman wrote:

that would have been ideal, and really the route I would have taken, however the Subaru master has a huge opening. if this were a wilwood/aftermarket master it may have been a non issue to do that.

here is the funny thing about levers....the farther you move from the pivot point, the travel increases. so, to keep the master in its ~3/4 stroke, the clevis has to be high. with all the fun stuff in the way on a late bay (brake booster etc) this is a huge challenge to make it fit.

the cap is going to be about 3/4" from the floor, making it only possible to fill with a syringe, but it's no worse that a full blown custom street rod with a master cylinder under a dash.

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Ride-On goes Subaru power Reply with quote

if you use google chrome, run the add on and you can see every photobucket pic...

I took all my pictures down and deleted my account with a nice "Get fucked you fucking extortionist bastards" email because fuck those guys. Not because they started charging -- bandwidth and servers aren't free, I totally get that -- but because of how they went about it. Plus I adopted a neglected beater Mercedes ('73 280C) a couple months ago and a lot of my "free time" has been going there...
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Ride-On goes Subaru power Reply with quote

tristessa wrote:

I took all my pictures down and deleted my account with a nice "Get fucked you fucking extortionist bastards" email because fuck those guys. Not because they started charging -- bandwidth and servers aren't free, I totally get that -- but because of how they went about it.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
That is priceless Trisressa. I just read that to Xatie and we can't stop laughing.
It's even funnier if you know Tristessa in real life.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Ride-On goes Subaru power Reply with quote

tristessa wrote:

I took all my pictures down and deleted my account with a nice "Get fucked you fucking extortionist bastards" email because fuck those guys. Not because they started charging -- bandwidth and servers aren't free, I totally get that -- but because of how they went about it. Plus I adopted a neglected beater Mercedes ('73 280C) a couple months ago and a lot of my "free time" has been going there...

I couldn't agree more...I would have been up to pay a *reasonable* fee, for 500/year they can kiss my..well you know....

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
captincanuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Ride-On goes Subaru power Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:

that would have been ideal, and really the route I would have taken, however the Subaru master has a huge opening. if this were a wilwood/aftermarket master it may have been a non issue to do that.

here is the funny thing about levers....the farther you move from the pivot point, the travel increases. so, to keep the master in its ~3/4 stroke, the clevis has to be high. with all the fun stuff in the way on a late bay (brake booster etc) this is a huge challenge to make it fit.

the cap is going to be about 3/4" from the floor, making it only possible to fill with a syringe, but it's no worse that a full blown custom street rod with a master cylinder under a dash.

Some options to consider;
V1 of mine was to mount it to the booster bracket and T into the brake reservoir line

A barbed 90 fits nicely into the masters grommet and can be secured with a clip. I never came up with a nice way to link it to the peddle so ended up scraping the idea in favour of just mounting it below the peddle with a linkage.

It is a pain to fill, but really how often will you really need to do that? A wash bottle does the job just fine.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Ride-On goes Subaru power Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
tristessa wrote:

I took all my pictures down and deleted my account with a nice "Get fucked you fucking extortionist bastards" email because fuck those guys. Not because they started charging -- bandwidth and servers aren't free, I totally get that -- but because of how they went about it.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
That is priceless Trisressa. I just read that to Xatie and we can't stop laughing.
It's even funnier if you know Tristessa in real life.

I was sitting here doing the same fucking thing. Oh, Xaie says hi Xevin. Wink

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Ride-On goes Subaru power Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:

I was sitting here doing the same fucking thing. Oh, Xaie says hi Xevin. Wink

Jesus Christ...what goes on out there? you guys share everything, huh?

so, after many failed attempts this is where the clutch master will live

everything there is total mock up. the filler cap juuust clears the floor. the vent line for the booster will take a bit of a detour to make a bit more room in there. as it is, it's so tight you couldn't fit a fart in there, but it will work just fine.

U-joints came in. made in Germany, so they must be good

that will be the next issue to tackle. also got the fuel tank the other day

much better now Very Happy

I have decided that the Subaru 5 speed will probably add an ez 50 hours + to the conversion. I had to custom make a extended spindle for the clutch arm, make a diesel bracket for the clutch master, etc etc....this is not as easy as a re-geared 4 speed, but I am excited to see the difference between the 2 seeing I have had so many 4 speed conversions under my belt I can make a pretty good assessment of the additional work.

1 huge advantage I see is that the Subaru transmissions are plentiful...and cheap...and not 40+ years old. so after the initial sticker shock it really may be worth it to do the swap. the biggest expense is all of the sub systems and adapting them to a bus. once they are in place, it is there forever....it's just getting it all laid out and that is when the hours just slide right by....

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Ride-On goes Subaru power Reply with quote

on todays episode of make it fit...

got the clutch master all dialed in

has full pedal swing and piston stroke. life is good!

decided to tackle the shift linkage. that was a huge project for a lot of reasons. first is the funky angle the Subaru shifter shaft has coming out of the nose cone. after doing some measuring, I about had a stroke

turns out even with the transmission mount shoved into a position that stuffs the transmission all the way up, it is still a gnats ass away from the torsion tube Confused

after a mild heart attack I took out the old level and tape measure. by eye, I had the trans pretty level side to side, but wanted to make sure

also wanted to make sure it was sitting square, so I busted out the protractor

after putting it on the face of the bell housing I confirmed it was sitting true.

I took another peek at the shifter shaft

better, but far from fantastic. the gap looks good, but its about a rolaids width away from the torsion housing. why rolaids? because a tums wouldn't fit...it was really that kind of day.

ultimately my concern is the engine being supported by the late bay pitchfork transmission mount (ahem...no longer available, and 40 years old) and if it comes un-bonded from the rubber, the selector rod will hit and support the weight of the drive line...not good.

I think what I will have to do is clearance that area a bit. I hate to do it, because if I fuck that up, the bus is essentially totaled, or will need a whole rear torsion housing. I would LOVE to gain ~5mm, but that may be getting greedy...I'd be happy with 2mm....ugg....

so, got the shifter "coupler" built as well today

pulled the shift rod and shortened it. it was all poopy nasty. I don't think it had ever been out of the bus

tested fitted the whole deal

I was able to catch all 6 gears, so that was a bonus. nowhere near done, but it felt like I hit a milestone with the bus. the shifter felt like stirring a big bucket of rocks.

right....the front shift bushing is gone (by the way, I feel for you late bay guys....this is the biggest asshole idea vw ever had. really wish I had the time to mill up a nice bronze bushing for that. anyway....also found the front crack pipe worn in the pin slot, so that got re-welded and flied dow so the shifter is tight in the cup

it started out all sorts of yuckko, along with the shifter

getting that front carpet up was NOT easy...I assume vw glued these down? I was hoping to pull the whole carpet up, but I got scared on the drivers side...it's REALLY stuck. I was able to get the passenger side up enough to be able to snake the shifter out from under it all. that was a tedious project right there.....

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Ride-On goes Subaru power Reply with quote

Wow! Looking at all that work makes me feel lazy, fatter, and stupider Wink
Nice work skills.

But hey, I did paint my living room today Dancing

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Ride_On
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Ride-On goes Subaru power Reply with quote

If I leave now, I can be there by dawn... And sit in the driver's seat making engine noises and finding the gears 😀

Great work Skills! I'm sure Fourbie is loving the luvin!
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Ride-On goes Subaru power Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
Wow! Looking at all that work makes me feel lazy, fatter, and stupider Wink
Nice work skills.

But hey, I did paint my living room today Dancing

I have a shop that could use some paint. don't put the rollers away just yet...

Ride_On wrote:
If I leave now, I can be there by dawn... And sit in the driver's seat making engine noises and finding the gears 😀

Great work Skills! I'm sure Fourbie is loving the luvin!

you know...it's odd....5 gears and reverse is not where it should be....that will mess you up for a while Laughing

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:06 am    Post subject: Re: Ride-On goes Subaru power Reply with quote

Skills...another UJ close into the trans and then lift the rod , rather than clearanving? Not trying to jack your hours, but might be better than gnawing on the torsion tube.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Jump to:
Page 7 of 23

Jump to: