Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ride-On goes Subaru power
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Ride-On goes Subaru power Reply with quote

^^^^

very true. I have met more good folks than bad for sure. in terms of the filler elbow it's a dam shame someone hasn't stepped up to make this. perhaps the GEEBEE fellow may be able to do something? this is the most asshole design ever. and worse yet, the filler tube isn't supported by ANYTHING....except the rubber flange that the gas cap plate pinches the whole mess together. I think if you are one of those people who sit and click click click the pump to top up this would accelerate that elbow tearing as now it's supporting the weight of the fill tube AND gas...

anyway...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

paint is drying up nicely. not a 100% job for sure, but it REALLY cleans up the bay. off to the shower to clean the holocaust cloud of green out of my nooks and crannies

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Ride-On goes Subaru power Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:

As I was filling up the '78 the other day, I was thinking about skill's comments about the new rubber part and access flap, and how hard of a time I was given for choosing to slather my old one in RTV and reuse it! I guess it's hard to say which is worse, but mine is still holding up a year and a half later. Very Happy

Instead of just slathering it with RTV, I have taken cloth & spread the RTV over it on a piece of wax paper and worked it into the cloth from both sides & then wrapped NLA intake boots with that & made sure to squeeze the layers together. The RTV impregnated cloth becomes a silicon hose of sorts. I've run my Eurovan like that for 3 years now.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Ride-On goes Subaru power Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
vwwestyman wrote:

As I was filling up the '78 the other day, I was thinking about skill's comments about the new rubber part and access flap, and how hard of a time I was given for choosing to slather my old one in RTV and reuse it! I guess it's hard to say which is worse, but mine is still holding up a year and a half later. Very Happy

Instead of just slathering it with RTV, I have taken cloth & spread the RTV over it on a piece of wax paper and worked it into the cloth from both sides & then wrapped NLA intake boots with that & made sure to squeeze the layers together. The RTV impregnated cloth becomes a silicon hose of sorts. I've run my Eurovan like that for 3 years now.

I have been using the black RTV treatment on 40 year old CV boots and tie rod boots for many years. Works way better than the modern replacements as long as you don't give a damn about what the judges think.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Ride-On goes Subaru power Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:
vwwestyman wrote:

I have been using the black RTV treatment on 40 year old CV boots and tie rod boots for many years. Works way better than the modern replacements as long as you don't give a damn about what the judges think.

It may well have been your comments that inspired me to RTV my fuel filler boot! Because they were inspired by comments about RTV-ing CV and tie rod boots.

On the '78, I have to hold the filler the entire time, because diesel pumps don't fit quite right in it's filler. As it sounds, that is probably a good thing!

On the '73, it is a sturdy metal pipe there.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Ride-On goes Subaru power Reply with quote

so, on todays adventure....

got the new tank cleaned up

I set it in the bus. it had a OE access hole cut (poorly) and I thought it wasn't right, but it was hard to tell with a crushed tank. so....

as you can see, way off...

un-corked it. yum yum....

and with the goo removed, you can see they went after it with a claw hammer

also note, it's way off and the sender won't fit thru the hole, let alone my hand...

here you can see where it SHOULD have been. same rib as the pin for the rear hatch, 9" back from the opening on the engine access hatch. the circle is dead center of the sender.

so, I made a new cover. I had to make it bigger to cover up the mess some hero left me

here you can see just how far off they were...

and the new cover

after that mess was handled I pulled the tank back out, laid down the sound deadening, installed the tank for good, installed new gates barricade vapor hoses, new MB filler pipe etc etc. getting close to final assembly now

still have another layer of sound deadener to do, but the hard stuff is done

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Ride-On goes Subaru power Reply with quote

Looks good Don-

One thing I didn't do when I installed sound deadener in the fuel tank compartment and engine bay was put a layer on the back side of the fuel tank compartment cover. I wish I would have as I 'think' he could help a bit.

Do you?

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Ride-On goes Subaru power Reply with quote

so, here is my take on sound deadener....

I like it. BUT I won't cover every square inch of a bus with it, and sure as hell won't put it on floors etc.

this is the stuff I have been using

http://www.raamaudio.com/

I like it. I won't do the foam in the tank area for fear of it holding moisture/fuel stink. but I use the fatmat (or whatever they call it) just like you describe...tank area and on the front of the firewall.

that ensolite is neat stuff. it works real well. other than wind noise my bus is VERY quite at 75 on the road....I bet if I packed it with some on the drives side wall/slider etc it would be better, but honestly just doing the engine bay makes a huge difference.

so, doing the firewall would for sure help with noise transmission....that panel is huge and really like a bass drum

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Ride-On goes Subaru power Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:

so, doing the firewall would for sure help with noise transmission....that panel is huge and really like a bass drum

Shit! I figured you'd say that. I guess next time I have the engine out, I pull the firewall off and add some to the backside of it.

I installed it in the fuel tank area with the tank out. I stuck it above the engine. It did make a HUGE difference for sure.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
Chochobeef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Ride-On goes Subaru power Reply with quote

Any updates?
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Ride-On goes Subaru power Reply with quote

Don't rush skills. He's an artist, and he don't surf.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Ride-On goes Subaru power Reply with quote

was out of power for about 5 days. unfortunately I never got around to setting up the shop for a generator. the house is dialed in, but the shop, no so much.

finished up the rear brakes tonight and got handed an exploding curve ball

the collar for the e brake cable had broken off the baking plate and looks like it was like that for a long time

first time ever I needed a body hammer and a welder to do a brake job

the Subaru harness has been run/installed. I need to hook it all up, finish some brackets etc but with any luck I *should* be able to set the engine and transmission in for good this weekend.

I still need to tie in the clutch hydraulic line, it's been run and flared on the master side, but need to set the final position of the line to the slave.

engine hanger has been finished, painted and ready to roll. I need to turn up the wick and make up for 5 days of no work. I also have to dig thru my side marker lights, as ride-on had some pretty crappy bases that I don't want to reuse. 99.9999% of the parts are here for final assembly, so it's getting close for sure

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
Chochobeef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Ride-On goes Subaru power Reply with quote

Dang, sorry to hear about the power loss. To relieve Abscate of his anxiety, I am in no way rushing the master Skills. I just want to marvel at his awesomness that I will never achieve.

It is amazing at all the little things that can go wrong and never find them until you start digging into a system (ie. Brakes). Even an important system like the E brake can be overlooked and not necessarily neglected. Ride-on is a lucky guy as most mechanics nowadays just want to get you in and get you out (for any vehicle).

Can't wait to see the next installment of ShopTalk with Skills the master mechanic.
Ride_On
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Ride-On goes Subaru power Reply with quote

We are definitely lucky! Especially if it was at all related to safety, I'm sure that Skills would go at least as far as kicking me in the nuts to stop me from taking the bus home without it being fixed! Shocked

We have been really happy with the work done previously by our mechanic up here in Ottawa - no doubt there - but, even with that, how often do you get to do a deep dive like this, especially with someone with Skills' attention to detail? I'm a bit surprised that the gas tank never came up during work up here, and maybe that e-brake guide, but they had Fourbie running well.

Of course there are going to be some leftovers when this is all said and done, but it's so nice to know that stop and go won't be among them! Thanks Skills!
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Ride-On goes Subaru power Reply with quote

Quote:
Can't wait to see the next installment of ShopTalk with Skills the master mechanic.

Well - have you donated early and often to his go fund me??

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Ride-On goes Subaru power Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind words Embarassed

It still doesn't change the fact that I feel bad about all of the little issues....and the time and money spent fixing them. The reality is I want every client to have zero problems...nothing worse than pulling it out of winter storage and have a brake (or whatever) issue....I try to keep that stuff in check

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Ride-On goes Subaru power Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Quote:

Well - have you donated early and often to his go fund me??

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Ride On does with each & every post that Skills makes. Laughing

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Ride-On goes Subaru power Reply with quote

you going to hang on to the VW OE access panel for the sender that you replaced?
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Ride-On goes Subaru power Reply with quote

alman72 wrote:
you going to hang on to the VW OE access panel for the sender that you replaced?

Message ride_on. I have no use for it. Honestly...its too small in my opinion. There is no way I can get my hand in there. If you have hands like a 3 year old it may work

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Ride-On goes Subaru power Reply with quote

I cut mine six inches square, and it’s almost uncomfortably small... maybe the dealership mechanics were like carnies?

Skills, is the clutch hydraulic line one solid hose? Or is there a rubber line in there to allow flex of the transaxle mounts?

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pkrboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Ride-On goes Subaru power Reply with quote

Hi Skills, Do you have any more pictures of how you attached the master to the clutch pedal please?

I need to redo mine this winter and am looking for ideas
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Jump to:
Page 10 of 23

Jump to: