Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ride-On goes Subaru power
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: Ride-On goes Subaru power Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
Vee Dub Nut wrote:

I thought I had remembered him having an issue once before with a fuel pump (maybe Put-n's?). Definitely wasn't meant to be a knock at anyone, I was just curious if it was the case, and if it was the same brand pump.

knock away....

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7922594#7922594

and yes, davearks pump shit on me. no pre filter...shouldn't be needed. vw used one because they didn't want their shitty plastic one on the pressure side

my bus has the same pump. so does dumpy bus...zero problems, but a failure rate this high is unacceptable.

so, what I don't disclose to the forum at large is well.....a lot of things. the reason I chose this pump is so the client can have piece of mind, go to napa and get it warrantied....but fuck napa. I will eat this and it is what it is.

[trimmed]

I totally get the logic of ease of getting replacement parts. As you pointed out though, the failure rate you have experienced is unacceptable. Time to move on for sure. I'd look into Walbro pumps.

As for the pre-filter question, most "high" pressure pumps need some sort of prefilter/sock upstream to keep crap out of them. I don't know what pump you are using exactly, or what its requirements are supposed to be, but in general its best practice. I've got some literature somewhere to suggests a specific micron rating for pre and then post pump filtering. Upstream filtering is just solely to protect the pump from crud. I'd have to dig it up. Just something to chew on.

All in all nice work.. I really dig the pics/videos and driver feedback. Such a clean setup. This is still something I want to do to my 74 transporter eventually.

Here's to hoping you have a better year next year Skills! Sorry for your losses this year. That's tough..

67 Beetle (TBD)

74 Transporter (EJ25 Swapped) - Build Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

See all my VW pics on Instagram @ vee_dub_nut
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Ride-On goes Subaru power Reply with quote

truth be told, I lost my mother in june. my give-a-shitometer has been pegged to "don't". this swap should have been done last winter. 2017 has been a bad year...lost my mother, a good friend, and 2 more family members took a dirt nap, 1 Saturday, 1 today. so, I needed a shitty fuel pump like a razor blade enema.

Sucks that you been gettin kicked around this year Skills, but look at it this way, you are gaining friends too. Every person you have dealt with in the conversion game loves you like a play-cousin now! I am thankful to have met you sir, and you know the fine folks on this forum would be there to help out if they can!
Don't let a god-damned fuel pump kick you in the sack dude, it's just a mechanical device, not a person, no need to mourn it. Also, this is all extremely valuable R&D if you ask me, plus your customer is over the moon at the stellar job you did (on unknown components no less ie-subigear box).
Again why the vetting process is so important, some spoiled brat customer might put you through the ringer, but everyone you have dealt with so far seems to "get it" so I'd say you are perfecting an amazing recipe right now.
Grab your bootstraps guy!

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

Careful guys, a petulant child can grow up to be president these days.

**winter drivers: no survivors!**rust warrior**#keepbodyshopsbusy**
Ride_On
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Ride-On goes Subaru power Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:
Since Ride On will want to drive this thing all winter long now.

ACK!! One fun drive was enough for me - that's what the soon to be VW's again TDI wagon is for! Thanks for the info on Fluid Film though. Always good to have info.

Skills - man... the year keeps getting better!?! Sorry to hear about the weekend. Good thing you didn't tell me in person on Saturday or I woulda sprung a hug on ya!

The Napa / Walbro debate was one we discussed several times. Ultimately, there's a Napa shop almost everywhere up here, so that's why we chose that direction. Walbro isn't the easiest to source up here, though now Amazon.ca seems to have some stock... but no stock on the needed inlet or outlet. So, direct from Walbro, with either a quick dash to Ogdensburg, NY or using the bro's business trip.

No problem though - a good solid snow rolled in last night and is still going now - at least 4-5" / 10-12cm so far, maybe double that. Chucked up our camping mega-tarp over the bus to give it a bit of a respite.

What I haven't mentioned to Skills is when I was backing out of the garage to start the trip, you could tell he was like a parent sending a kid out into the world. Some pride, happiness and I think some sadness too. Totally understandable. Even with that, I looked back, saw you watch us start off out your door... I thought there was a 2.5% chance you'd throw me the ol' double bird flip-off! See ya later sucker! I totally did not get that treatment, but the thought of it still made me smile!

And now we have a new part of the States to come back and visit!

PS - Rockorod - hope Fourbie's heart serves you as well as it did us!
captincanuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Ride-On goes Subaru power Reply with quote

Glad you made it home safe with the bus. It sounds like your pump didn't like its first taste of Canadian gas. I have the same Bosch pump in my bus and have had no problems with it, so maybe it is just pump roulette like others have suggested. The only difference in my setup is that I do have a large pre filter and a much larger than stock outlet on the tank.

I think Ben (Hasta Alaska guy) had a problem getting NAPA in Canada to honor a warrantee for some part he bought at NAPA in the USA. Might be something to consider when deciding where to get you new pump.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Ride-On goes Subaru power Reply with quote

captincanuck wrote:

I think Ben (Hasta Alaska guy) had a problem getting NAPA in Canada to honor a warrantee for some part he bought at NAPA in the USA. Might be something to consider when deciding where to get you new pump.

Yes he did. This is common with other types of merchandise purchased in US and brought to Canada.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Ride_On
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Ride-On goes Subaru power Reply with quote

Honestly, not even going to bother trying to warranty the fuel pump. At least it's not on my radar right now. If it were a couple of hundred $$ part, maybe, but $75. The harder part of a refund might be that it cost $75USD but is $142.29CAD. Creating bilingual packaging is expensive don't ya know... Smile
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Ride-On goes Subaru power Reply with quote

If I can Facilitate border crossing of parts, let me know. I have a trip to NRC upcoming, and am in QC monthly at least

I have to be straight up about what I bring in as I am on Nexus (and there is zero tolerance) but the I87 border crossing is a breeze so I can do regular
Ride_On
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Ride-On goes Subaru power Reply with quote

Thanks! Appreciate the offer!!

Abscate wrote:
If I can Facilitate border crossing of parts, let me know. I have a trip to NRC upcoming, and am in QC monthly at least

I have to be straight up about what I bring in as I am on Nexus (and there is zero tolerance) but the I87 border crossing is a breeze so I can do regular

skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: Ride-On goes Subaru power Reply with quote

In terms of a pre filter....

A good idea for sure...but hear me out.

My 82 rabbit no filter

Bronco no filter

All of my swaps...no filter. I think its shit luck. That said the bosch in my truck is 6 years old. Besides, ride ons tank is 100% clean....

Thanks for being understanding. I still feel really bad. It sucks but this too shal come to pass.

I spoke with napa as well. Long story short....I will be buying very little from them moving forward....and zero electical components

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Ride-On goes Subaru power Reply with quote

I spoke with napa as well. Long story short....I will be buying very little from them moving forward....and zero electical components

For what it's worth, most parts stores will not take a return on electrical components. HOWEVER, if you paid for the parts with a credit card, in the merchant agreement, they have to accept returns on EVERY part. If they refuse, you can have your credit card company reverse the charges.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Ride_On
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Ride-On goes Subaru power Reply with quote

Okay - back with some fuel economy and range data! Only 4 trips to the gas station, 2 of which were top-ups (after leaving Skills and, of course, a fill-up before crossing the border (~$0.89/L vs $1.10/L (up to $1.21/L today!?)), and 2 of which were "full" fill-ups.

Stock fuel tank capacity = 55L or 14.6 gallons (plus a gallon reserve I believe)

Before (original 2L FI Type 4, stock 091 4sp):
Full fill-up = 38-40L or 10-10.5 gallons (think I did one 12 gallon fill-up once)
Average fuel economy = 16-19L/100km / 12.5-15mpg
Distance = ~200km or 2hrs

After (1999 Subaru 2.5L EJ25, SubaruGears 5sp):

Tank 1
- quick top-up after leaving Skills' place

Tank 2
- first half: heavy snow, cold, full heat on, 1.5hrs crawling in 2nd gear, lowish coolant temp due to slushy roads
- second half: cold, but dry roads, 65mph cruising, coolant ~170-175F
Fuel Economy = 13.8L/100km (17mpg)
Volume = 42.28L (11.2g)
Distance = 306km (190 miles)

Tank 3
- border top-up, cold and clear, mostly 50-55mph 2-lane roads
Fuel Economy = 10.5L/100km (22.4mpg)
Volume = 22.04L (5.8g)
Distance = 211km (131 miles)

Tank 4
- cold, dry roads, 70-75mph for last 1.5hrs
Fuel Economy = 12.96L/100k (18.1mpg)
Volume = 41.5L (10.96g)
Distance = 320km (199 miles)

Pre-swap, it would have been 4 full gas stops on our route home. Speeds would have been ~65mph on the highways, but way longer to get up to speed and that flat ground 70-75mph run into a headwind? Ya, no.

Comfy, quiet, economical and fun... killer workmanship and working with some great guys (Skills at the helm, Matt Steedle, Jeff Robenolt, Christopher @ T3Technique). Couldn't be happier!

And - the new fuel pump ordered and en route. It's heading to Philly where my brother will pick it up. What a cliché - some good ol' brotherly love. Of course, he was "busy" on Sunday night when it was pushing time... Smile
curtp07
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Ride-On goes Subaru power Reply with quote

Great numbers.....my T4 averaged 20mpg last 1500 mile trip..but I was always 55 and under. Would NEVER be able to maintain that last set of speeds...
albe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Ride-On goes Subaru power Reply with quote

I'm going Subaru power in the 73 camper I'm restoring. I'm at least a year away from getting into the motor, but I can't think of anyone else I'd have do the work, not just cause I'm in your neck of the woods. I've seen the posts from happy customers on the samba, and heard good things about you from local folks too. Happy customers trump a bad fuel pump any day.
Thanks for posting these builds!
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Ride-On goes Subaru power Reply with quote

Could it be possible that the design of the bus fuel tank is not compatible with the pump somehow?

Not that I know anything about the pumps, or details here,
Just throwing it out there..

Maybe the new pump pushes enough more flow,
That it causes different swirl, maybe aerating the fuel near where the pickup pulls it in again?
Weird shit happens in fuel tanks..
Maybe cavitation?
Needs a swirl pot?

Fuck 2017. :fist:
I got my own reasons for hating it too.
It's almost over, and we can get on.

Weird how any little failure eats into your head.
Especially when your name/profession/experience/career/ego plays into it.
Years ago, you woulda shrugged it off, old man.
Shit is still hard to do, no matter how good you get at it.

Just got to figure out what the issue is and sally on.
(And that's not Sally, with a capital "S")..

What’s That Noise?!?
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Ride-On goes Subaru power Reply with quote

albe wrote:
I'm going Subaru power in the 73 camper I'm restoring. I'm at least a year away from getting into the motor, but I can't think of anyone else I'd have do the work, not just cause I'm in your neck of the woods. I've seen the posts from happy customers on the samba, and heard good things about you from local folks too. Happy customers trump a bad fuel pump any day.
Thanks for posting these builds!

thank you Embarassed

good news is Ride-On is back in the wind Applause I coached him thru a pump replacement. although it's complete bullshit that this happened, it's all behind us now.

oddly enough, the "local" swaps I have done have been rock solid. I guess if you live in Texas or Canada the fuel pump will shit the sheets.

in the end, I will more than likely keep swapping for the right people....that's what makes it worth it. the people that come to me for stuff they want and not the stuff they need are generally A listers in my book. either way, Ride On had every right to be pissed....I am sure he was let down for sure but in the end we got it sorted together.

I have said it before, and I will say it again...projects like these are like a marriage....times will be great, and times will suck. if both parties are willing to work it out it will be fine...only had to roll peoples projects out of here once...and I hope to never do that again. that's why I screen people. true story....

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
curtp07
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Ride-On goes Subaru power Reply with quote

I'm happy you made the decision to continue. I'll be visiting you again in 2018 hopefully Smile

Curt
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Ride-On goes Subaru power Reply with quote

Unless you are constructing a pet rock, gremlins happen. Old stuff, new stuff, it just does. It's not a workmanship thing.
Ride_On
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Ride-On goes Subaru power Reply with quote

Yes - we are back in business! And... sadly... tucked away for the winter.

Lets start with some pics, then I'll blab on below if you're interested.

A Christmasy Repair!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Hot rice hack - moist rice in a Ziploc nuked for 1-2 minutes = great parts and hand warmer! Warming up the fuel hose:

Skills' great work back in action - the last pic before winter storage:

Thanks to Skills' tutoring and my brother's courier skills, we now have a Walbro fuel pump installed in place of the dead Napa. I did the work out in the driveway, under a big camping tarp with the bus up on ramps. The highest temp I had was -15C / 5F. I removed the old pump and prepped the new one for install on Saturday night, then went back out in -25C / -15F to get the job done on Sunday morning. Hot rice made the hose work possible but the final re-mounting of the fuel pump was a bit tricky getting the clamps closed and nut and washer in place. Once done, several tests of priming the fuel pump to find leaks, then fired it up good as new.

I let it idle for quite a long time, long enough for it to come up to temperature and even cycle the fan once... for a brief moment. Then I turned on the interior heater on and that kept the operating temps below fan level.

Next was a quick shakedown run to a local carwash shop with indoor bays to get the CT --> ON salt off as well as possible. A 20 minute low and high pressure bath and rinse, followed by a (likely useless) run on the wax cycle around the lower half of the bus. Of course this led to frozen locks and nearly being frozen into the bus, but I managed to get out and carefully used a heat gun several times to finally dry out the driver's latch. The locking fuel cap? Ya, no. Not ideal, but I had to put Fourbie away with no fuel stabilizer and only a mostly full tank.

Monday morning, we drove the 40 minutes out to storage after rush hour had passed. Again, not ideal, it was snowing a bit, but road spray was light enough that I didn't have to run the wipers once on the highway.

I had bought a 1 gallon weed sprayer with the thought that I'd hose out the wheel wells before pulling into the barn. Should have tested it first... it had a small air leak so pushed barely a trickle. Oh well.

Big thanks to Skills for upgrading Fourbie and pushing to get it done on time for it to be repatriated for winter. The weather didn't quite cooperate as well as the forecast looked for the pickup and drive home, but it sure is nice to have it back! And Bonus - we were the last vehicle into the barn so we'll be the first out in the spring! Can't wait!

And yes, coming back from the carwash... it was rather fun accelerating beside the Acura RDX and matching his pace Smile
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Ride-On goes Subaru power Reply with quote

Jesus tap dancing Christ is that thing covered in salt Shocked

I have driven all of the conversions I have done in rain, and coming back from a show it was raining so hard the traffic was doing about 10mph.....but that salt spray Shocked

man, it looks like I was never under there and it was pulled from the side of the barn Laughing

and no problem with the coaching. I still feel so bad, you can't even imagine. I have all the respect in the world for you doing this in such adverse conditions. so glad it's back up and running Applause

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:02 am    Post subject: Re: Ride-On goes Subaru power Reply with quote

I'm okay doing driveway mechanic down to about 2C,after that , unless it's real simple like an oil change, it isn't happening until Spring or my indie gets it.

The good news is only 3 hours south of Canada, we rarely for for a week with out 5C-10c and dry during day, so I can still get stuff done Jan Feb
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Jump to:
Page 17 of 23

Jump to: