Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Eberspacher B2l repair guide
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Microbusdeluxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:50 pm    Post subject: Eberspacher B2l repair guide Reply with quote

I just repaired my Eberspacher B2l and thought I'd share my discoveries with others. Since VW of North America never offered the Eber in the vanagons, information on them is hard to come by.

I found the UK site http://www.syncronauts.org.uk/ an invaluable resource for information. This page has a great write up: http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=136617&start=75

The first thing you need is a copy of the troubleshooting guide available from here: https://www.butlertechnik.com/downloads/Eberspacher_B2L-D2L_Troubleshooting_manual.pdf

One thing that the write up from the UK site that needs clarification is the location of the three thermo time switches. Page 18 of the troubleshooting manual has a good line drawing of the unit. You want to replace the temperature switch, number 3 in the drawing, with the 100degree switch. The 250 degree switch goes in position 4, the safety thermal cut-off switch and the 50 degree switch is #13, the heating coil switch. Here's the website that has the switches. www.newark.com The part numbers for the switches are as follows: 68C5873, 98K1990, 98K1988.

I replaced all of those as well as the glow plug and figured I was good. Unfortunately after putting it all back under the van it still wasn't working. The fuel pump did not click on. I then discovered that the small glass 1.25 amp fuse in the silver control unit was blown. Which was a surprise because the fan still operated.

Replaced that, but still no fuel pump action. Cleaned the pump, pulsed it by applying 12v rapidly on and off and finally got it to click, but it wouldn't pump any fuel. New pumps are over $200 shipped from the UK, so I was not too happy. Finally found one on Ebay for $70 from China and threw the dice.

Got the new pump today, put it back together and heat on! May your repair be less painful than this. Taking apart/putting back together the unit is not hard at all as long as you have the manual. There are a couple of Youtube videos that show some of this, too.
'81 Westy sold
'89 hightop Westy Joker syncro 16" now with Bostig!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PJ Snow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspacher B2l repair guide Reply with quote

I have the BA6 in my van.
The previous owner said it worked great.
I pulled the motor as soon as I got the van home for a rebuild.
My mechanic had a bad experience with an Eberspacher that he had in one of his cars many years ago. So he disconnected the gas line to the heater, and ran new line from the tank to the engine when he put the new motor in. I want to use the heater and may end up restoring it just for peace of mind, but I can not find a really clear diagram, and cant remember, how the gas line was run. I think it Tee'd off after the fuel pump? Is this correct?
I have a digital copy of the Eberspacher manual, but the pictures are not real clear.
Thanks for your help!
I just don't want to loose the van in a fire.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspacher B2l repair guide Reply with quote

You'd want to Tee it off before the fuel pump...cause it has its own fuel pump right?

I might be wrong

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=613526&highlight=b4

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Eberspacher B2l repair guide Reply with quote

nice find on the teardown thread!

we have a DA6 in our 83 diesel... other than the blower fan running doesnt appear to do much but looks somewhat complete.
whats the value of some of these things for parts? seems like not many folks are overhauling the old heaters like you did, at least based on my quick search on here
PJ Snow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspacher B2l repair guide Reply with quote

You are right. Thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspacher B2l repair guide Reply with quote

For BA6 info search the bay forum, myself and notchboy detail out quite a few things on them, not to mention many others smarter then I. LOTS of info there.

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
outcaststudios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspacher B2l repair guide Reply with quote

I have a D1L in my Doka that isnt running. when i turn the control knob the relay clicks once and thats it, i jsut ordered a bunch of fuses and cant find the control unit. ( 12v ) any ohter places that sell Eberspacher parts?

here is a link to the D1L parts:

https://www.butlertechnik.com/d1l-t224
(rip)three type III"s
(rip) '81 vanagon
a bunch of french stuff,and 9 motorcycles.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2573791
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: