Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

L20B Brilliant Orange Rattle Can match
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:29 pm    Post subject: L20B Brilliant Orange Rattle Can match Reply with quote

Just dug into my first T-3 in over 20 years . Its 71 with the usual rust problems. I have all the OG steel to repair and would like to keep the stock color. Anyone have advice on a rattle can color match? Thanks
Donnie strickland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: L20B Brilliant Orange Rattle Can match Reply with quote

I don't have a paint source, but if it's a factory 71 color it's L20D Clementine. Brilliant Orange is a 72-73 color.
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: L20B Brilliant Orange Rattle Can match Reply with quote

I will get a picture to confirm. Thanks for the info.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:30 am    Post subject: Re: L20B Brilliant Orange Rattle Can match Reply with quote

Need to add your location to your profile
BSQUARE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: L20B Brilliant Orange Rattle Can match Reply with quote

I tried every shade of rattle can orange I could find, and the closest I I found to L20D Clementine is Husqvarna Orange at the farm supply store. It's a bit too bright, but fairly close.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: L20B Brilliant Orange Rattle Can match Reply with quote

Thanks, I just got done with the rust repair so I will grab a can and report back. I do believe it is a Clementine orange, 7/71 build date.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: L20B Brilliant Orange Rattle Can match Reply with quote

Or we could point you to a paint shop that could color match for you

But still don't know where you are located Rolling Eyes
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: L20B Brilliant Orange Rattle Can match Reply with quote

Colorado, this car is not a candidate for a paint shop (none I trust anyway). It will be a daily driver, and most of the OG paint is still great.
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: L20B Brilliant Orange Rattle Can match Reply with quote

Manfred58sc wrote:
Colorado, this car is not a candidate for a paint shop (none I trust anyway). It will be a daily driver, and most of the OG paint is still great.

You could got to an auto paint supply shop with your color code and ask them to mix you up a can. I’ve done it here with the local auto paint supply store with no issues. Cost was about $19 for me. One full rattle can of L633
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: L20B Brilliant Orange Rattle Can match Reply with quote

MonT3 wrote:
Manfred58sc wrote:

You could got to an auto paint supply shop with your color code and ask them to mix you up a can. I’ve done it here with the local auto paint supply store with no issues. Cost was about $19 for me. One full rattle can of L633

thats what I was getting at, but if someone cant even bother with their location I can't look at my list of shops that have that equipment from Seymore to load the spray cans
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: L20B Brilliant Orange Rattle Can match Reply with quote

X2
www.towerpaint.com mixes enamel or acrylic lacquer base & clear in spray cans.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OhHerrooo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: L20B Brilliant Orange Rattle Can match Reply with quote

www.paintscratch.com
'68 Squareback

OCT3 - Orange County Type 3's
www.evenkeelsurfshapes.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: L20B Brilliant Orange Rattle Can match Reply with quote

Thanks for all the help on this, gives me some good options. Specifically I live just outside of Coal Creek CO. I have a shop and many,many ACVW's. I do not list my location for security reasons, I would be easy to rip off . I try to balance my paranoia with reality, gets harder every day. I'll get my camera out for pictures today, I love the color.
taydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: L20B Brilliant Orange Rattle Can match Reply with quote

Back when I had my '73 with the brilliant orange, I painted an entire fender with Krylon "Pumpkin Orange" and it matched almost perfectly. Be aware though, the color has TERRIBLE coverage, so you should do many light coats and try to get a primer that has a similar color (like red).

Here is the link:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Krylon-ColorMaster-Pain...mp;veh=sem

Here is the pic of the fender that I painted (Driver's front):
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: L20B Brilliant Orange Rattle Can match Reply with quote

OK I definitely have the Clementine paint . I see both rustoleum and the Husky factory make a rattle can match, anybody tried them?

Nice square, looks like a good match
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: L20B Brilliant Orange Rattle Can match Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: