Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Robbie is building another engine…
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Robbie is building another engine… Reply with quote

Brian wrote:
Gonna tell everyone about the pushrod experience?

Lol it went together so smoothly after, I kinda forgot.

--

Did you know that all our suppliers get their pushrod tubes from the same manufacturer, and that all the pushrod tubes are too long now, and Wolfsburg West and JBugs all have their bins mixed up with short and long tubes and 40-horse-only pushrod tubes are just right on a 1600 if you stretch them a little? I didn't either! Both business seemed oddly receptive to my "sort your bins and call your supplier" message for a Monday morning…

A few good dues in the performance forum were saying that there were a "few too long" pushrod tubes out there, and one of them said "see what happens." In the name of science, I installed the beautifully prepped and painted pushrod tubes in the 3/4 side of the engine. (They come fully compressed out of the packaging at 7.6") Before the head studs even poked out of their holes, the pushrod tubes were already seated. So I meticulously tightened the oiled lower head nuts up to their requisite 7 ft*lbs and the cylinders weren't even seated yet. Hmmmm… Wonder why?? Laughing

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

A quick trip to JBugs for some 40-horse pushrod tubes, an afternoon of paint+margaritas, and new seals brought us to the current state. Wink

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Robbie is building another engine… Reply with quote

I'm no professional, but those push rod tube seals don't look properly installed to me. Seems consistent with the oil pump. Probably optional.
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Robbie is building another engine… Reply with quote

The squished out parts should have the green stripes clocked, good eye.
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Robbie is building another engine… Reply with quote

you type 1 (engine) guys....
that hurts to look at.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Robbie is building another engine… Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:

Did you know that all our suppliers get their pushrod tubes from the same manufacturer, and that all the pushrod tubes are too long now, and Wolfsburg West and JBugs

Maybe you should have said, “all the suppliers I’ve tried all get there pushrod tubes from the same manufacturer.” Because what you said isn’t true, there are other suppliers other then the thre you’ve mentioned and there are different tubes out there to be had. One just needs to call the right supplier...
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Robbie is building another engine… Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
asiab3 wrote:

Did you know that all our suppliers get their pushrod tubes from the same manufacturer, and that all the pushrod tubes are too long now, and Wolfsburg West and JBugs

Maybe you should have said, “all the suppliers I’ve tried all get there pushrod tubes from the same manufacturer.” Because what you said isn’t true, there are other suppliers other then the thre you’ve mentioned and there are different tubes out there to be had. One just needs to call the right supplier...

Parts houses are not suppliers, suppliers are not manufacturers, and booze ain’t food. Did I get that right, Brian?

There are chrome and windage pushrod tubes available aplenty. None of those are allowed on my engine.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Robbie is building another engine… Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:

There are chrome and windage pushrod tubes available aplenty. None of those are allowed on my engine.

And a cam that wasn’t mic’d is. Rolling Eyes

Also, I meant suppliers or wholesalers if you will, not part houses.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Robbie is building another engine… Reply with quote

Okay, you guys need to get a room and fight it out. The winner gets to be the top.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Robbie is building another engine… Reply with quote

The Samba is getting to be like watching pro wrestling in the Midwest when I was a kid. “ It’s Man Mountain McCarthy and Sarge Kent vs. Pike’s Peak Parker and the California Clatter in a three fall tag team match tonight folks!” Wait.... l tuned in to see Butcher and Mad Dog....... Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Robbie is building another engine… Reply with quote

TomWesty wrote:
The Samba is getting to be like watching pro wrestling in the Midwest when I was a kid. “ It’s Man Mountain McCarthy and Sarge Kent vs. Pike’s Peak Parker and the California Clatter in a three fall tag team match tonight folks!” Wait.... l tuned in to see Butcher and Mad Dog....... Cool

I pay a beer stipend each month to keep the police out of my threads so they can be real sounding boards for people who need to let off some steam. Cool

Robbie
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Robbie is building another engine… Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
TomWesty wrote:

I pay a beer stipend each month to keep the police out of my threads so they can be real sounding boards for people who need to let off some steam. Cool

Robbie

So thats why I dont get modded Think Laughing

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Robbie is building another engine… Reply with quote

There is a long lasting theory in physics that beer consumption causes VW parts to change shape. I don't know if it happens at the factory, warehouse, builder, or all three of the above. Not predicting here but wait until you get ones the right length and they leak at the seams. So as they say when drinking -"here's to you kid - seams up."
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Robbie is building another engine… Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
There is a long lasting theory in physics that beer consumption causes VW parts to change shape. I don't know if it happens at the factory, warehouse, builder, or all three of the above. Not predicting here but wait until you get ones the right length and they leak at the seams. So as they say when drinking -"here's to you kid - seams up."

Seams up! Dilly Dilly!

Robbie

(These overextended 40-horse pushrod tubes seem to fit nicely. They seated before the heads did, and they took the flat black paint but good.)
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Robbie is building another engine… Reply with quote

Let the witness state that the no-name replacement fuel pump stands do not fit into new VW of Brazil crankcases. kreemoweet lead me on to it over on IAC, but luckily for me the genuine VW flange fits fine. (I sanded .010" off the new part and it fits fine now.)

Also note the lack of double oiling holes on the new reproduction.

And for its final trick, the new fuel pump flange doesn't have as much support for the pump as the original.

Head studs torqued too high,
Robbie
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: Robbie is building another engine… Reply with quote

life is so much wasted time when chasing down VW parts that still fit ........... Anyone who has successfully rebuilt a VW bus can call themselves a project manager and parts expediter.
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Robbie is building another engine… Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
life is so much wasted time when chasing down VW parts that still fit ........... Anyone who has successfully rebuilt a VW bus can call themselves a project manager and parts expediter.

WHY Twisted Evil is that- recently assembled T-4 with FI went together with almost not ONE new part working as it should- and that includes the foam seal round the motor not being sliced on one side Twisted Evil on Grey whale.

The only thing that worked right off was the old alt replacing the new bought /incorrect alt, and that got a pinched ground wire and failed after a while.

I was amazed at how many new bits showed up wrong- from the diameter of the brake assist can, to the new elec portion of the key switch, the first new condenser, new brake wheel cylinders that rusted after the dust caps rotted away in a year or two-- lets not even talk the short shocks for the back or the after market tail light assemblies to fat to fit the tabs- Then there's the door seals and motor cover rubber that cracked and split before assembly and the floor mats that turned into strips where they glued them together

Shocked How can a service center for vw keep in business now a days.- Question Question

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Robbie is building another engine… Reply with quote

williamM wrote:
SGKent wrote:

WHY Twisted Evil is that- recently assembled T-4 with FI went together with almost not ONE new part working as it should- and that includes the foam seal round the motor not being sliced on one side Twisted Evil on Grey whale.

The only thing that worked right off was the old alt replacing the new bought /incorrect alt, and that got a pinched ground wire and failed after a while.

I was amazed at how many new bits showed up wrong- from the diameter of the brake assist can, to the new elec portion of the key switch, the first new condenser, new brake wheel cylinders that rusted after the dust caps rotted away in a year or two-- lets not even talk the short shocks for the back or the after market tail light assemblies to fat to fit the tabs- Then there's the door seals and motor cover rubber that cracked and split before assembly and the floor mats that turned into strips where they glued them together

Shocked How can a service center for vw keep in business now a days.- Question Question

Kudos to you for sticking to it. No one should have to spend the time VW bus owners do chasing down things that fit/work right.
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Robbie is building another engine… Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
williamM wrote:
SGKent wrote:

Kudos to you for sticking to it. No one should have to spend the time VW bus owners do chasing down things that fit/work right.

Way back - when a guy yelled or threw wrenches- the line got quiet and everybody thought "he's not going to make it"-- not so sure that applies anymore.

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Robbie is building another engine… Reply with quote

williamM wrote:

That is the major reason my local long-time air cooled only shop closed its doors a few years back. They still have a wonderful working machine shop, but they do not touch VW parts anymore.
udidwht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Robbie is building another engine… Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
williamM wrote:

That is the major reason my local long-time air cooled only shop closed its doors a few years back. They still have a wonderful working machine shop, but they do not touch VW parts anymore.

This the number 1 reason independent VW gurus who were around when these air-cooled vehicles were everywhere are closed and/or closing. Hell, if they're any left to close LOL!
71mm Stroke
73 Web Cam w/Web solids
Dual 40mm IDF Webers - LM-2 - 47.5 idles/125 mains/190 air corr./F11 tubes/28mm Vents - Float height 10.45mm/Drop 32mm
Bosch SVDA w/Pertronix module (7.5 initial 28 total @ 3400rpm)
Bosch W8CC plugs
Pertronix Flamethrower 40K coil
S&S 4-1 w/Walker QP 17862
3 rib 002 Trans
185R14 Hankook tires
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
Jump to:
Page 21 of 23

Jump to: