Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Robbie is building another engine…
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 21, 22, 23  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
andrewtf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Robbie is building another engine… Reply with quote

Not to derail Robbie's thread - but... eehhhh.... it Robbie's thread so what the hell.

When I just opened the Samba, the thread right below this one was:
"Broken Engine Stud"
so naturally I thought Robbie dropped the block on his foot and was just complaining he got hurt.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Robbie is building another engine… Reply with quote

andrewtf wrote:
Not to derail Robbie's thread - but... eehhhh.... it Robbie's thread so what the hell.

When I just opened the Samba, the thread right below this one was:
"Broken Engine Stud"
so naturally I thought Robbie dropped the block on his foot and was just complaining he got hurt.

Ha! Glad I could jog your heart rate a little.

After doing the math, the old engine will be visiting you this spring and summer. New engine will go in around October unless something drastic makes me change my mind. It consumes about two to three quarts of oil every 3,000 miles, which is annoying for long trips, but still cheaper to add than the requisite five oil changes of a new engine build before I would drive it out of my time zone.

The transaxle has a death rattle in neutral after a long pull in second gear. It’s done it for two years now. Problem is, it sounds like a cracked lifter so I get a little scared if I’m not aware of what I’m hearing. Current engine sounds good- Might even do its second ever compression test next week...

I just wrapped up a professional photo shoot for Air-Schooled. I CAN NOT WAIT to post some photos here. I nearly peed when I saw the proofs today.

Robbie

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Robbie is building another engine… Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
I just wrapped up a professional photo shoot for Air-Schooled. I CAN NOT WAIT to post some photos here. I nearly peed when I saw the proofs today.

You mean we are finally going to get that hay bale or fruit picking pic (or whatever the hell the unfulfilled Vanlife based subject was)? Shocked
Not entirely sure my eyes are up for that big fella! Razz

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:11 am    Post subject: Re: Robbie is building another engine… Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
asiab3 wrote:

You mean we are finally going to get that hay bale or fruit picking pic (or whatever the hell the unfulfilled Vanlife based subject was)? Shocked

This is #vanlifeFORREAL:

But Robbie doesn’t end up on the side of the road without my help so my guess is his pics are much better Wink

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:04 am    Post subject: Re: Robbie is building another engine… Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
asiab3 wrote:

The hay bale was done! I just can't find it online, crap. The apple one is around for those who look… Laughing

I felt so bad about not fulfilling the chicken coop shot, I'm driving around the country again this May.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:05 am    Post subject: Re: Robbie is building another engine… Reply with quote

Stuartzickefoose wrote:

This is #vanlifeFORREAL:
[img]

Close! Have fun messing up your bed every time you have to get at the engine? My bed stayed in place for eight months on the road… Wink But I did have that smoke issue literally one time… In front of YOU!

Robbie
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Robbie is building another engine… Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
Stuartzickefoose wrote:

This is #vanlifeFORREAL:
[img]

Close! Have fun messing up your bed every time you have to get at the engine? My bed stayed in place for eight months on the road… Wink But I did have that smoke issue literally one time… In front of YOU!

Robbie

Funny that was literally the only thing about my entire trip that irritated me on the van...wished I had a rearward hatch!

But for a van I paid this much for I think I can live with it for now. Wink

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:17 am    Post subject: Re: Robbie is building another engine… Reply with quote

The death rattle is approaching in my current engine, but I really want a few more months out of it.

I've rotated it once a month, and dropped some oil down the plug holes when I remembered. There are no pushrods installed, so no valve tension or cam lube wiping.

Anybody have any tips for waking up a new engine out of storage?

Robbie

Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:23 am    Post subject: Re: Robbie is building another engine… Reply with quote

Sacrifice parts to the VW a Gods.

I've got a stuck number 5 cylinder in a Volvo engine soaking in acetone ATF diesel for a week. At least my buckets are upright.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:58 am    Post subject: Re: Robbie is building another engine… Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:

Anybody have any tips for waking up a new engine out of storage?

Wink

Link

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: Robbie is building another engine… Reply with quote

Too much oil in the cyls= rings that will never seat

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: Robbie is building another engine… Reply with quote

Just fire it up Robbie and break it in. You should be getting 60,000 to 80,000 per engine - are you?
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Robbie is building another engine… Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Just fire it up Robbie and break it in. You should be getting 60,000 to 80,000 per engine - are you?

Done.

The last collection of parts known as an "engine" got 83,000 miles except for the cam, lifters, cam bearings, and points. It is still in "running long block" form under a sheet in my garage. It will be for sale in about a month for a dismally low price.

Out with the old…

In with the new!

That thing fired up on the first compression stroke, which really eased my mind about removing a perfectly reliable engine…

Bummer that my video camera thought the engine sound was background noise and automatically tried to drown it out with software… It sounded just like my last engine in person, with a few different vibrations. Not more or less vibration, just different.

Link

Here I am waking up the rings at about the ten minute mark… That 20-minute cam break in sure is the longest 20 minutes of one's life…

Link

I kept an eye on the oil pressure gauge from the back hatch, though it never went below 40psi @ 2,200 RPM.

First oil change was SO much cleaner than the last engine… I thought for a second my magnetic drain plug was broken, but I guess that's how NOS lifters and cams are! Laughing

A new VW case will allow us to have every sled tin screw perfectly installed, for the first time since owning the car…

Feeling cheesy.
See you on the road,
Robbie

Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Robbie is building another engine… Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:

It sounded just like my last engine in person, with a few different vibrations. Not more or less vibration, just different.

Cool buddy. Glad you happy wit it. Almost went Beach Boys but Mark felt more appropriate Very Happy

Link

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Robbie is building another engine… Reply with quote

Three weeks shy of one year since completing the long block, I took it to pick up donuts and VR1 this morning. The counter-balanced single port engine is a strange beast; the torque below 3,000 is crazy and the precision above 4,400 is music to my ears, that should cut at least seven minutes off my Pike's Peak time trial this Summer.

The zero-mile rings gave me a chance to drive like every other driver on the road these days, accelerating hard all the time… But instead of slamming on the brakes, I got hard off-throttle overrun with some unnecessary double clutch downshifting for more ring break in goodness.

Feels good to be back in the saddle, even if it was just a week off…

See you on the road,
Robbie

TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:12 am    Post subject: Re: Robbie is building another engine… Reply with quote

I lost a perfectly good night of sleep watching you assemble that beast, I hope it runs a long time. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:46 am    Post subject: Re: Robbie is building another engine… Reply with quote

ORcas In the Bay. Thats a killer shot to wail about.
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Robbie is building another engine… Reply with quote

Good to see you finally got it installed. Isn't the counterweighted crank nice? You'll like it even better when doing those hours long runs turning 4000 r/m in the middle of nowhere, safe in the knowledge that you're not beating the center main bearing to death (because, even though we do it regularly, VW never intended a bus to be driven like that)...

Word to the wise: even though the engine really wants to do it, go easy on the 4400 r/m stuff until the valves have time to mate well with their guides. Oiling up there is what I consider marginal, and you don't want to have a valve stick. Should only take a few hundred miles or so.
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Robbie is building another engine… Reply with quote

telford dorr wrote:
Good to see you finally got it installed. Isn't the counterweighted crank nice? You'll like it even better when doing those hours long runs turning 4000 r/m in the middle of nowhere, safe in the knowledge that you're not beating the center main bearing to death (because, even though we do it regularly, VW never intended a bus to be driven like that)...

Word to the wise: even though the engine really wants to do it, go easy on the 4400 r/m stuff until the valves have time to mate well with their guides. Oiling up there is what I consider marginal, and you don't want to have a valve stick. Should only take a few hundred miles or so.

Regularly? The old engine Lived at 3,900 for months at a time every summer… Very Happy My very first engine was a mystery motor that was bored to 4th oversize. I put about 40k on it, and had Adrian inspect it. He said it did not need any work done besides a good cleaning. Do you think that older magnesium getting hard and brittle becomes less likely to wear/warp/wallow out?

Thanks for the advice on the high RPM avoidance; I've always taken new engines up towards their intended redline on the second or third break-in drive… My uncle had an engine that was babied its whole life, and when he redlined it a compression ring snapped… Apparently the higher piston speeds can cause the rods/pins/crank to flex JUST enough to extend the stroke out far enough to extend the rings past their normal swept area. That was years ago, so perhaps I got the details wrong, but he's still got the piston on his workbench. So color me spooked; I've always kept the reminder of those speeds fresh in my engine's memories… Cool

It's nice to have an engine tighten up its valve adjustments every day during break-in. The 2014 build didn't exactly do that… Laughing

Robbie
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Robbie is building another engine… Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
Apparently the higher piston speeds can cause the rods/pins/crank to flex JUST enough to extend the stroke out far enough to extend the rings past their normal swept area.every day during break-in. The 2014 build didn't exactly do that… Laughing

Robbie

Have not heard that theory before, but it does make some sense. Interesting.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 21, 22, 23  Next
Jump to:
Page 22 of 23

Jump to: