Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Correct TE6A3 coil resistance
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nic_
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:56 pm    Post subject: Correct TE6A3 coil resistance Reply with quote

I've done a bunch of searching and surprisingly can't find an answer on this.

I have the original coil from my '56 - the TE6A3 (4M datestamp for those playing at home).

It's measuring 2ohm across the primary, and 4.7Kohm across the secondary.
I figure it should be fine given neither circuit is completely open or completely closed, but I'm interested if that's close to spec for this particular coil?

Also a question on "correctness" - should the coil holder be black, or bare metal? I see both frequently, and my original looks like it was painted, but it may have just been buildup of gunk.
janerick3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct TE6A3 coil resistance Reply with quote

The bracket should be bare metal.

Back in the day, it was common for VW dealers to drop the engines on trade-ins and repaint the tin, which explains the occasional black bracket.

Factory rebuilds often have fan shrouds that are repainted with the coil left in place.
Snort
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Correct TE6A3 coil resistance Reply with quote

If your coil specs are similar to the other 6 volt coils I've checked the primary winding resistance should be about 1.5 ohms. Secondary windings seem to be more variable but somewhere in the 4-12K range is what I have seen others report.
nic_
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct TE6A3 coil resistance Reply with quote

Thanks for that. Sounds like it should be OK, so I'll see how it runs.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: