Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

gauging interest in having small parts made ..
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:25 pm    Post subject: gauging interest in having small parts made .. Reply with quote

Ok so little background... I built a delta 3d printer awhile back.. it worked but did not last long mechanically.. as the rails wore out.. it was more proof of concept thing that i could do it with crap around house.. it can be seen here in short vid https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuz0ylPg_a4

So anyway.. I am going to build another printer but a cartesian with a good size build area.. like 8" X 16".. I have all the parts pretty much and they are not going to wear out ..so investment will be low as it has to be as I am.. poooooooooooooor do to health issue..
So anyway..
if I can make a run of parts.. have enough pre sold after part has been perfected as I will send to someone to check out...and refine.. if needed.. then produce a run of the parts and sell..I am talking about small to medium size parts.. Yes i know everyone is 3d printing nowadays .. but then.. they ain't me..
I also have everything to build a 3d laser scanner.. so after a learning wtf im doing i should be able to scan parts then change refine or what ever .. and...
I have almost everything for a small home foundry to melt and cast aluminum...
I have been collecting parts for awhile.. obviously.. lol
SO shoot me some ideas.. and maybe by the time i get the printer built I will know if I am on to something..
This was my original idea when I built first printer.. for income..
Thanks
Greg
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: gauging interest in having small parts made .. Reply with quote

If you can print rubber like materials... '67 radio knobs and dash knobs.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: gauging interest in having small parts made .. Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:
If you can print rubber like materials... '67 radio knobs and dash knobs.

Picture please..
and no can not print rubber but could be printed then coated in rubber..
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: gauging interest in having small parts made .. Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: gauging interest in having small parts made .. Reply with quote

Print them then plasti dip them.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: gauging interest in having small parts made .. Reply with quote

kawfee wrote:
Print them then plasti dip them.

that is what i was thinking.. or similar to get right texture and feel..
thanks for the suggestions..
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: gauging interest in having small parts made .. Reply with quote

Plasti dip might come off. You could probably add some texturing to it with a piece of metal and heat.

Also, take into account the part you are making and how much the 3d material costs. Those machines are really good for prototypes.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: gauging interest in having small parts made .. Reply with quote

What about a flexible filament... that could give it the rubber like feel.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: gauging interest in having small parts made .. Reply with quote

On the top of my list, I'd like to see stateside reproduction of
SO-42 Westfalia cabinet handles- at least the plastic part.

borrowed for cris torlasco's gallery

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: gauging interest in having small parts made .. Reply with quote

This topic has a current thread is this forum: So i bought a 3D printer, and was pointed out in this thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=660103
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: gauging interest in having small parts made .. Reply with quote

so this is 2 things that nobody is making.. keep them coming.. I am even thinking things as simple as sun visor clips but stronger.. maybe aluminum..
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: gauging interest in having small parts made .. Reply with quote

Gary wrote:
This topic has a current thread is this forum: So i bought a 3D printer, and was pointed out in this thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=660103

I do not want to use a thread started by somebody else when this is my own thing... and those did not go to far..
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: gauging interest in having small parts made .. Reply with quote

ida to idf addaptors. like the old scat #912 but it was ida to the solex witch is the same as idf but diferent stud pattern. and of corse I need some aluminum cylinders too..... hey make it to use a aluminum spool gun!!!!
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: gauging interest in having small parts made .. Reply with quote

We have experimented with scanning and printing fossils at the museum. Our observations so far ... the printer resolution isn't good enough yet. They can't print rounded surfaces without leaving a lot of countoured lines in the final product. I suppose one could sand and fill in the lines to get a smooth product, but then that wouldn't be an exact copy and wouldn't work for our purposes.

If you are going to do this, get the highest resolution you can. .1 mm resolution is not good enough for small smooth things like dash knobs and buttons but may be OK for brackets and thing that don't need to be smooth.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: gauging interest in having small parts made .. Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:
We have experimented with scanning and printing fossils at the museum. Our observations so far ... the printer resolution isn't good enough yet. They can't print rounded surfaces without leaving a lot of countoured lines in the final product. I suppose one could sand and fill in the lines to get a smooth product, but then that wouldn't be an exact copy and wouldn't work for our purposes.

If you are going to do this, get the highest resolution you can. .1 mm resolution is not good enough for small smooth things like dash knobs and buttons but may be OK for brackets and thing that don't need to be smooth.

^^^ This....is the problem. That ...and available materials.

But...that being said....actually the resolution IS there....to a point...but not for cheap. I have seen some of the industrial 3-D printers....think like 6 figures plus....that have the resolution....but they still need to be used in conjunction with CNC machining, laser ablation etc...for really complex 3D shapes.
Resolution can be down to about .0015"...about half of that .1mm

But you are correct ...that when it comes down "textures"....thats really not enough.

But...yes...vwjetboat...I do think you are on to something..especially if you have a 3D scanner.
A lot of useful small structural/functional parts...that do not require advanced textures that injection molding imparts.... can be made this way. The scanner can help get the "real" shape into the system much faster than trying to work it out via solid works or inventor ...which make it really hard on the person doing the CAD work when trying to measure and then re-render fine radii and shapes in small parts.

Just be sure to be careful about what plastic types you sue for what parts. Plastics are the least generic of materials. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: gauging interest in having small parts made .. Reply with quote

Q-dog.. ya the Cartesian printers have a hard time making perfect round parts.. Why I went with delta printer the first time as they are faster and make round parts pretty nicely.. but what a pain to set up..
I have always wanted to make custom dashes for cars.. one off things for that person building that custom car that can weld anything form anything but would love a custom plastic dash insert that changed the whole look.. then i saw on tv show just other day some guy printed out a rear spoiler for a camaro in 4 parts.. so seeing as I have 90% of the stuff to build a nice size Cartesian printer. while the jetboat is on hold for a few months as storm destroyed my porch and few boat parts..
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: gauging interest in having small parts made .. Reply with quote

Ray.. yea.. I have "STUF" as in a record turntable cameras and software .. to build a scanner for small parts.. just one of those things that needs to be built.. its pretty simple to do.. just time .. so much open source stuff now for rendering that when I started rolling this stuff in my head was not around.. now its everywhere and free ..
Thanks for the advice
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: gauging interest in having small parts made .. Reply with quote

examples 600 examples of things all ready designed ..
https://www.thingiverse.com/search?q=VW&sa=&dwh=6159d1a4b8e1322
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: gauging interest in having small parts made .. Reply with quote

a "foam" or something that would dissapear if you used it for casting aluminum in sand molds would be a nice item to have. and eazy to make changes too.
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: gauging interest in having small parts made .. Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
a "foam" or something that would dissapear if you used it for casting aluminum in sand molds would be a nice item to have. and eazy to make changes too.

they make plenty of low temp filaments now just for that.. I have 60 lbs of casting sand in the shed still in the ebay boxes wrapped up .. have fire bricks.. a crucible .. so that is in plan.. but.. my new printer design.. i am working on will print as long as needed.. infinity actually or as long of a 14 inch wide piece of glass how ever long i can find.. as the bed will move on rollers .. and will print either 4 items at once or 1 left and 1 right at same time..
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: