Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1988 Vanaru Manual Transmission
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dailyuser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:50 am    Post subject: 1988 Vanaru Manual Transmission Reply with quote

1990 Subaru engine hooked to 88 4 speed stock manual-it has been apart as it has a black gasket-

Leaking gear oil bad- pops out of 1st and gets stuck in forth. I guess my first question is will an 84 work in this bus? I found an 84 in ATL

I also found a euro 5 speed but it's a lot more and is from a tdi conversion

Is it worth it performance wise to spend $ on 5 speed-guess that's a no brainer-

Looking for feedback and trying to get a transmission in North Carolina
MR GAS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: 1988 Vanaru Manual Transmission Reply with quote

84 will fit.
You need a rebuilt and updated transaxle to handle double the HP Suby.
Have yours Rebuilt and up graded! most ud=sed ones are used up and have the exact same problems as yours. 30 yo trans is worn out.
11BC2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: 1988 Vanaru Manual Transmission Reply with quote

Have you looked into using a Subaru transmission?
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: 1988 Vanaru Manual Transmission Reply with quote

Vanagon ownership is becoming more expensive. It isn't just us, this is true of all classic Marques.

VW owners in general think nothing of dumping huge amounts of money into engines and whatnot, yet skimping on the transaxle.

Personally, I wouldn't own any Vanagon model today without also owning a rebuilt back-up transaxle. It's just an added liquid investment (easily sold separately when selling the vehicle).

To the PO's specific query, I would further comment that the TDI 5-spd offering has probably already been hammered internally. (Sorry if I'm throwing cold water on another Samba guys sale.)

Every option has its drawbacks. The only "upgraded" conversion transaxle that's bulletproof is the G50 Porsche, and even it needs the lower 8:32 R&P to make sense.

Off soapbox now ..
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dailyuser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: 1988 Vanaru Manual Transmission Reply with quote

Thank you all for the feedback - I'm getting the idea I should just buy a refurbished - Just researching what's out there.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: