Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oil temp question
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hank22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:40 pm    Post subject: Oil temp question Reply with quote

I just installed a VDO oil temp gauge, I have it connected to the motor with an adapter that allows the sensor to be installed with the stock pressure sensor. when I start the engine the needle on the gauge moves slightly up ( to 120F) but remains there after 5 minutes at idle and 3 times around the block. The ambient Temperature is about 95 deg F (ah fall in AZ).

So too my question how long (approximately) does it take for the temp to reach 220 or so on those of you running a temp gauge?

Also, Is there any recommended thread sealer I should use on the pressure sensor, I have it as tight as I dare to go but its leaking a bit. I took the temp of the oil I wiped off the pressure sensor about 5 minutes after I shut the engine down, it was 109 F

Thanks for your help
saw2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil temp question Reply with quote

Not enough oil flow where you have your sensor mounted for a good temp reading.

Do a search here in the performance engine forum for oil temp sensor location and you will get a lot of info on the topic.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Oil temp question Reply with quote

Without a picture to see your installation I too suspect the temp sender is not really into the oil enough to get a good reading. To get it into the oil flow where you say you have it may restrict oil flow to the engine bearings depending on the size of the probe.

That said, no you will not see much change in oil temperature in a 5 minutes or 2 laps around the block. It takes at least 15 to 20 minutes at highway speed for the temperature to stabilize to where it is going to run at. Much longer even if you do not have the thermostat and all the tins in place.
Hank22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil temp question Reply with quote

Thanks Gents, I'm struggling with photos with this wonderful thing called Windows 10. So where is the best place to install the sender? as I said it is installed now where the idiot light for pressure is with a t adapter that allows both
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil temp question Reply with quote

Mine is 1\4" in diameter and about 7" long so it drops right in place of the dipstick. I keep the dipstick on the key ring with the keys to remind us to check the oil! Makes it harder to lose the keys too. Laughing

Others drill and tap the oil drain plug but it hangs down but it can suffer from road rash if the car is low. Kits are available to mount it in place of the plug for the rear oil cooler relief valve. I have often thought about putting it in the clean out plug for the oil pump pick up tube on the rear lower right corner of the crankcase. That would involve drilling and tapping the case though and careful attention to retrieving ALL of the resulting filings. Do-able even in the car me thinks.

Do you have a full flow filter? There may be a spot to add a tee and put it there. If you don't you may be able to buy a full flow oil pump cover and put the sensor in it.
wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Oil temp question Reply with quote

Use the type that replaces the pressure relief galley plug. If you use the front galley location it is protected to the point if you are banging that part of the underside of the car you'll have bigger problems than stripping a wire off a sensor.

Good and accurate readings from that location, I've correlated the gauge readings by putting a meat thermometer in the dipstick hole and what I see on my gauge closely matches what I see on the thermometer.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: