Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New to Classic VW
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Murt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:29 am    Post subject: New to Classic VW Reply with quote

Hi
I’m new to the site
I’m from the UK, and have just got a 66 Beetle. I’m not new to VW’s we have 4. But this is my first classic, and have so so much to learn.
I’m going to send for a ‘Birth Certificate’ for the car, and try and check all the details. The chassis and VIN plate says 116427031, and engine is D0 029 031
So any guidance would be appreciated
I’m really taken by the Yellow Headlights look as well, and I spend a lot of time in France, so would love to find a set.
I can think of a thousand questions right now, but guess I’ll need just get to know the site, and the car Very Happy

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: New to Classic VW Reply with quote

Nice auto you have in your possession. 66 with Euro styling oh wait your on the other side of the pond.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: New to Classic VW Reply with quote

Very nice. The John Muir book “How to keep your Volkswagen alive” is a good primer for the ACVW new owner. Best advise is to learn to work on it on your own. Lots of satisfaction to know you fixed it rather than paying a small fortune on I have it done.

Good luck.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: New to Classic VW Reply with quote

That's a beauty. Love the color combo.
itskyle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: New to Classic VW Reply with quote

It should be also stated that the 66 was John Muir's favorite.

You should sign up and check out 1966vwbeetle.com

Welcome to air cooled.

Kyle
74 SuperBeetle Auto Stick (I miss that car)
73 SquareBack, Straight Stick (Wife misses this one.)
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: New to Classic VW Reply with quote

You started out well. Have fun.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
widefivebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:38 am    Post subject: Re: New to Classic VW Reply with quote

Thats a beautiful car. I didn't realize that the decklid was different for European cars..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: New to Classic VW Reply with quote

vwnutt wrote:
Thats a beautiful car. I didn't realize that the decklid was different for European cars..

How so?

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
widefivebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: New to Classic VW Reply with quote

My mistake, the license plate area looked different. Too early, not enough coffee.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Murt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:10 am    Post subject: Re: New to Classic VW Reply with quote

Many thanks for the kind welcome Very Happy

I've just fitted a matching pair of lights to the front, they are Lucas 4LR's one of them I found on eBlag UK, and was brand new never been used, and still in original 60's box. I'm looking for an original Front ( Fender ? ) now with overriders, as mine is not OE and looks to be a bit on the cheap side
2017 Golf GTD saloon
2008 VW EOS 2.0 TFSi
Jaiscossie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:57 am    Post subject: Re: New to Classic VW Reply with quote

Hi,

Thats a great looking Beetle. Im from the Uk also and close to Suffolk.

I have just finished restoring my 1960 Gulf blue car,

Take a look at the stainless steel bumpers vw heritage sell. They are excellent quality although not cheap well worth it.

I have a thread below on my car, you can see the bumpers in the pictures, they are a great fit too

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=688103

All the best with your Beetle, like you it was my first and have learnt alot, did most things myself, just take your time and my advice would be buy the very best stuff you can, its worth it as there is alot of junk out there! Very Happy
Murt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:03 am    Post subject: Re: New to Classic VW Reply with quote

Thanks Jaiscossie
That's a great thread, I'll keep an eye on it. I've looked at VWHeritage, and CoolairVW and yes, I will go for the best quality.
PS: I fancy a US spec rear as well Very Happy Very Happy
2017 Golf GTD saloon
2008 VW EOS 2.0 TFSi
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: