Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

no spark please help
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jokerrw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:48 pm    Post subject: no spark please help Reply with quote

Looking for advice on an issue with my VW 1835 motor no spark. Any VW guru here? Last it ran was 2yrs ago coil fell out of it's holder and grounded out, pop fuse. After replacing the fuse and coil. Would not start, Very weak and intermediate spark. It had electronic ignition not a prertonix. changed to original points and condenser and no spark at all. I triple check gap .40 mm. Bought new pertronix electric ignition and flame thrower coil. No spark. I am getting 12v at coil, new wires,cap,rotor, hooked up test light to pos side and beg when cranked engine test light was flashing as I turned the engine over.
any advice
can I hook a plug wire straight to the coil and put a plug that is grounded to see if there is spark coming out of the coil?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: no spark please help Reply with quote

what have you tried ? got power going to coil ? check point gap ? filed reset ? new points & condenser ?
Jokerrw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: no spark please help Reply with quote

I have replaced with new electronic ignition, coil, cap, rotor, wires, plugs verified getting 12v to pos side of coil. zero spark
SamT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: no spark please help Reply with quote

Get us a pic of the wires as they attach to the coil. If the positive side is flashing the test light the wires are wrong. The negative side should flash when you crank, positive stays hot if the ignition is on.

Positive side of coil should be attached to ignition 12v wire, it's common to see it power other accessories like choke on the carb and stuff. Also the redwire from the petronix should go there.

Negative side of the coil powers the tach, black wire on petronix or trigger wire for the points.

If a petronix is hooked up in reverse it usually frys it.

Check your rotor, they have an internal resistor that can fry.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=546712
Jokerrw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: no spark please help Reply with quote

I am getting 12v to white wire

Yes when I put the test light ign turned on I get a light. When I crank the ing the test light flashes
Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: no spark please help Reply with quote

Are the intake and exhaust valves closed on the #1 cylinder when the distributor rotor is pointed at the #1 plug wire ?

~I'm almost done. I just lack finishing up.~ Anxious
Jokerrw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: no spark please help Reply with quote

here is the rotor at TEC
Jokerrw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: no spark please help Reply with quote

Also checked new coil wire and 0.5 resistance on meter
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: no spark please help Reply with quote

Jokerrw wrote:
Looking for advice on an issue with my VW 1835 motor no spark. Any VW guru here? Last it ran was 2yrs ago coil fell out of it's holder and grounded out, pop fuse. After replacing the fuse and coil. Would not start, Very weak and intermediate spark. It had electronic ignition not a prertonix. changed to original points and condenser and no spark at all. I triple check gap .40 mm. Bought new pertronix electric ignition and flame thrower coil. No spark. I am getting 12v at coil, new wires,cap,rotor, hooked up test light to pos side and beg when cranked engine test light was flashing as I turned the engine over.
any advice
can I hook a plug wire straight to the coil and put a plug that is grounded to see if there is spark coming out of the coil?

THis can indicate electronic module is ok...... But does not actually test primary side of coil...

Light should stay on full time when connected on positive side of coil and ground. Connectrd on negative side of coil & ground also tests primary side of coil... Lamp should flash hooked to negative (points) side of coil and ground when engine is cranking...

Two things... Set timing by putting engine at 7.5° BTDC (#1 cylinder) and set timing (turn distributor) so test light just comes on (one side of lamp on negative terminal of coil-other side to test lamp to ground)...

Is engine getting fuel????

Are you sure its a no spark and not a no fuel start?

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...

Last edited by Dale M. on Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jokerrw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: no spark please help Reply with quote

I will check timing with a light. Not 100% on fuel but i have been trying it with spray of starter fluid and tried pouring a little gas down both barrels.
I have also hooked a plug wire straight to coil and a grounded spark plug and no spark.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: no spark please help Reply with quote

Jokerrw wrote:
I will check timing with a light. Not 100% on fuel but i have been trying it with spray of starter fluid and tried pouring a little gas down both barrels.
I have also hooked a plug wire straight to coil and a grounded spark plug and no spark.

Might want to test new coil!....

Dale

All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Jokerrw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: no spark please help Reply with quote

I set the timing with the test light. Still no spark
This thing is driving me crazy. Everything shows good but still no spark. Even testing for spark in the dark hoping to see a faint spark nothing but darkness.
Jokerrw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: no spark please help Reply with quote

Pos to neg 3.3 ohms
Pos to output secondary 10.64
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: no spark please help Reply with quote

Jokerrw wrote:
Pos to neg 3.3 ohms
Pos to output secondary 10.64

I hope that is 10.64K????

Dale

Jokerrw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: no spark please help Reply with quote

Yes 10.64k .
If I hooked up a spark plug to a plug wire straight to coil and a grounded spark plug, when I crank the motor I should get a spark?
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: no spark please help Reply with quote

Jokerrw wrote:
Yes 10.64k .
If I hooked up a spark plug to a plug wire straight to coil and a grounded spark plug, when I crank the motor I should get a spark?

Yes....

What is voltage at positive terminal of coil while starter is cranking motor?...

Where is battery grounded too... Chassis of buggy (do you have ground strap from chassis to transaxle) or directly to transaxle...

Dale

Jokerrw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: no spark please help Reply with quote

At first when tested I was getting down to 11.6v. So I hook up a commercial battery charger and am now getting 13.4 v at positive side when I crank the engine over.
Battery is grounded with a 1/2 bolt and yes the transaxle has grounding strap.

Thank you for taking the time to help me.

Ron
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: no spark please help Reply with quote

I suggest you go back to points and condenser (old distributor) and see if that solves issue...

Dale

Jokerrw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: no spark please help Reply with quote

Went back to points and condenser with condenser green wire connected to neg .Still no spark.. This is bugging me.
With points the wires connected to the coil is 1 green to neg and a 12v wire to the pos.

With elec ignition wires connected to the coil is neg is black from dist red from dist to pos. And 12v to pos.

Those should be the only wires connected to the coil
One green to neg if points
And 2 to pos and one to neg for electric ignition?
pullstart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:21 am    Post subject: Re: no spark please help Reply with quote

This might be a wild idea, but have you bypassed the ignition switch and/or confirmed that while you're cranking that the coil still has voltage?

I've heard of in the past that if you have a poor connection (bad switch) that you can find "ghost" voltage... it's present but has no real amps to get the job done. Maybe jumper from the battery to the coil + and jump the starter solenoid to see what happens...

my build page: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=662104&start=0
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: