Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ventilation/heater controls
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RobnRae
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:55 am    Post subject: Ventilation/heater controls Reply with quote

Brand new to the air cooled nation. Bought a nice 72 bay window and have figured out most except for how to work the heating and airflow in the bus. There are two levers with blue knob and two with red knobs. And I think that there’s a switch that I can flip it’s my foot and another on the base of my seat, that also have something to do with airflow.
Basically, living in Canada I’m wondering how to keep warm this winter!
Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Ventilation/heater controls Reply with quote

One place you might want to check also is the "Technical" drop-down menu up top on TheSamba banner, then select Owner's Manuals. The manual for your vehicle probably offers a bunch of interesting tidbits for your model.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Ventilation/heater controls Reply with quote

Yes find your owner's manual in the TECHNICAL section. Also read the Blumaxx thread and see what you can do to make your heater work significantly better than stock.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=371749&highlight=bluemax%2A

If your bus was originally sold in Canada, maybe you will be lucky and have a gas heater. Wink What heater like controls do you have on your dash besides the levers?
static
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Ventilation/heater controls Reply with quote

RobnRae wrote:

Rolling Eyes
Garage it until May, unless you live in the NWT.
(In that case, keep it garaged until July.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Ventilation/heater controls Reply with quote

static wrote:
RobnRae wrote:

Rolling Eyes
Garage it until May, unless you live in the NWT.
(In that case, keep it garaged until July.)

simpler than that - don't drive it just around town, or downhill and it will heat the bus fine. The heaters work great at freeway speeds or uphill. Smile

Buy mittens, hooded sweat shirt and coat now before the cold weather sets in. In lieu of a hooded sweat shirt you can wear a ski hat. Smile
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Ventilation/heater controls Reply with quote

The 72 heat system works remarkably well when it's all sealed up properly, possibly the best year for heat in a bus.

Have a look at page 42 here: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/72bus.php

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Ventilation/heater controls Reply with quote

Welcome to TheSamba, Bay Window Bus Forum!

1972 NEWBIE

1972 Bay one year only list
The '72 only photos thread

wrote:
Every Type IV engine owner should know this!!!

If you over tighten the Oil Strainer bolt, you will brake the engine case!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

There is a Oil strainer in there.
TORQUE THE STRAINER BOLT TO NO MORE THAN 9 FT. LBS.

Tcash wrote:
Here is a little information. Good Luck

Pictures would be cool.
How to post photos/How to post a photo in the Forums

Pronunciation (Samba) English

I am thinking of buying a VW van
Cleaning+Rodents+Hantavirus
Up in smoke... Bus fires... don't let it happen to you!
M-Plate Location
Type 2 M-Plate decoder
M-Plate Decoder Volkswagen Type 2 Bus
Bus VIN / Chassis Numbers
Type 2/Bus Owner's Manuals
Bus repair manuals
Bus parts manuals
Early Baywindow Bus Parts Book
Late Baywindow Bus Parts Fiche
Type 2 Wiring Diagrams
Model and Year Variations
Type 4: Secrets Revealed
Distributor Parts & Specifications
PARTS INTERCHANGE MANUAL
Youtube Videos

There is a ton of information located at the top of the Forum section.
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Ventilation/heater controls Reply with quote

Important thing to know about these cars is that the cool/fresh air ventilation is split from the heat system.

The blue levers control only the fresh air ventilation. That air comes in through the grille on the nose. Those levers just operate some flaps that open or close as desired. Those flaps should have some kind of seal on them so that they seal when closed. Usually it's rotted away leading to cold drafts in the winter. You will want to fix that up.

The fresh air ventilation is ducted to the outlets at the outer edge of the dashboard as well as to the base of the windshield.

The heat system is entirely separate - air for cabin heat is taken in by the engine cooling fan in the engine compartment, passed through the heat exchangers, and ducted up a pipe underneath the center of the Bus. The vent outlets under the rear seat, in the walk-through, and in the front footwells are for heat only.

That heat duct also runs up to defroster vents at the base of the windshield.

Before it gets cold out it's worth going through the whole system, making sure all joints are tight, no air leaks, etc. Might want to take down the central pipe and vacuum it out; I found a bunch of crap in mine impeding airflow.

Good time also to check and adjust all vent control cables in the system - as these open and close the various vents to direct the heat where you want it.

As mentioned above see the owner's manual for specifics on how your system works, it changed slightly year by year.
hiwaycallin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Ventilation/heater controls Reply with quote

sjbartnik, what a great explanation of the heating and ventilation system! I've had my bus for nearly 10 years and still didn't fully understand exactly how those levers work Embarassed
RobnRae
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Ventilation/heater controls Reply with quote

Thank you for the info everyone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Oilspot11
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Ventilation/heater controls Reply with quote

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/freemefromthishell/vw/T2%20Heating.htm

HTH
fes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Ventilation/heater controls Reply with quote

I drove around many a winter in south western BC and Vancouver Island in a Bus..
The best tool you can utilize is a small hand held squeegee..you will be quite often clearing moisture from the windshield and windows..
This job is the responsibility of the shotgun passenger unless driving solo..
And make a habit of sopping all that water off the dash regularly.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Ventilation/heater controls Reply with quote

fes wrote:
I drove around many a winter in south western BC and Vancouver Island in a Bus..
The best tool you can utilize is a small hand held squeegee..you will be quite often clearing moisture from the windshield and windows..
This job is the responsibility of the shotgun passenger unless driving solo..
And make a habit of sopping all that water off the dash regularly.

That is funny, in my old Bug I used to have one, at the ready, stored in the passenger grab handle.
Instead of Bud vases, VW should have offered squeegee's.
Tcash
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Ventilation/heater controls Reply with quote

Oilspot11 wrote:
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/freemefromthishell/vw/T2%20Heating.htm

HTH

Add a Dayton centrifugal blower

https://www.amazon.com/Dayton-Model-2C646-Blower-Volts/dp/B00DSMC744

at point 5 in the drawing and you will more than double the air fllow to the front of the passenger cabin. A plastic bilge blower will work as well but you need to take precautions to keep it from overheating. The bilge blower has the advantage on how easy it is to install, but the centrifugal fan will be more effective at moving air. At this point with all my modifications I am getting somewhere around 4 times the stock amount of heat into the cabin when out on the highway.
pittwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Ventilation/heater controls Reply with quote

I like that. It would not be too difficult to make some round flanges and then hook it up under the front floor. Add a 3 sp switch and away you go. Lots of air for slow speed city driving.

I live in the north east area of metro van. My bus sits outside and I never need to wipe the inside of the windows. Start the bus run both front a back fans and away we go. BN4 for those way below freezing mornings. I drive it year round. 4 C-rated winter tires. None of this parking it in the winter BS.

To the Original Poster. Does your heating system function as it should? Gas heater?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Ventilation/heater controls Reply with quote

I have a very similar blower in the 71, it came from a Datsun 311 but it looks just like that Dayton unit. I put it in the center heat tube under the cargo floor, not super great for ground clearance when offroading but I haven't squished it yet. I used a couple PVC sewer elbows and wrapped the whole thing with foil bubble insulation and foil tape, then spooged the sh*t out of it with undercoating. Right now I have it tapped into the useless rear defrost switch but I plan on robbing a heater lever from a 72 with the contact on it and operating it with a relay one of these days.

Best single improvement I've ever done to the bus, the windshield defrosts in a few minutes and the bus gets unbearably warm inside after 20+ minutes, yes you really do have to turn down the heat on a cold winter day. I've hauled 8 soaking wet Air cadets to and from events on pissing down cold November days and the windows that mattered were still clear.

Sorry for the shitty pic, bad light and operator error.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: