Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Problems with EMPI wheels over top line front disc conversion?
Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Carl Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:30 am    Post subject: Problems with EMPI wheels over top line front disc conversion? Reply with quote

I did a front disc conversion on my restoration '79 and it's been sitting on stock steel for a while. I went to put the new Empi wheels on the other day and found that they don't fit over the flange on the disc rotor at the hub. They won't seat all the way down to the rotor as expected.

Is this a common issue? I'm guessing I'll have to find a machine shop and have the flange turned down a little bit to allow them to seat rather than adapting the wheels to fit or I wouldn't be able to rotate the tires long term.

Most of the rotor kits are from Ghia's as I understand it so does that mean that the Beetle and Ghia wheels are not interchangeable or did Empi mess up.

I can get some pictures tonight if it helps clarify.
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Problems with EMPI wheels over top line front disc conversion? Reply with quote

Is the center hole on wheel the issue? I wouldn't think it to be the Ghia brakes as the issue, as my car has OG Ghia discs up front and has had them on since the 70's and no issues that I know of from that time (but the car has only had 1 set of alloy wheels on it other than stock steelies) from that time.

I would measure the hole on wheels and the hub diameters to see where the issue is and compare to the steel wheels. This wouldn't be the first time Empi "screwed the pooch".
Carl Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Problems with EMPI wheels over top line front disc conversion? Reply with quote

I haven't had a chance to get back to it yet but plan to get some measurements when I can get some time.

Yeah, the center hub opening of the wheel won't fit over the flange on the rotor.
Carl Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Problems with EMPI wheels over top line front disc conversion? Reply with quote

To follow up on this since I finally had a chance to look at it.

The part of the hub that the wheel needs to fit over is 3.125". The through hole of the rim is only 3".

Looking at the stock steel wheels, 3.125" seems to be pretty legit so I'm thinking the Empi wheels are the problem here (big surprise?)

So the question becomes, do I have the inside of the wheel turned to fit over the hub or do I have the hub shaved down to fit so that I can properly rotate all 4 rims. Unfortunately I bought these wheels so long ago (2 years?) and have never tried to put them on until now so I don't think I have any recourse with the seller (CIP1 iirc)
Jrm1080
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Problems with EMPI wheels over top line front disc conversion? Reply with quote

So what did you finally figure out, Carl?
I have a set of Empi (or Empi knock off) 8 spokes that I took off my ‘74 beetle drums that I’m hoping will fit the ghia hub/spindle that I installed with my disc upgrade. Just curious, Did you measure the diameter of the old hub to see how it compares to the new?

•’67 Type I mostly original semi daily driver (temperature permitting 🔥☀️)
•’74 Type I work in progress.
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Problems with EMPI wheels over top line front disc conversion? Reply with quote

I have a 70 Ghia. Many years ago I replaced the calipers with new ones. I remember them being slightly different than stock but I am certain that they are the same calipers that came with disc brake kits of the day. This was 94 and I worked at Fisher Buggies at the time. When I replaced the stock wheels with Riviera style wheels the inner face of the wheel rubbed on the little nub of the caliper where the piston is. I had to grind a little groove into the backside of the rims to clear it. They weren’t EMPI wheels. I always want to say they were American Racing but that’s not right.
Anyway, just goes to show that when you step out of the stock box you open Pandora’s box.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: