Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How importaint is distributor drive shaft orientation?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dürtwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: How importaint is distributor drive shaft orientation? Reply with quote

I’ll say this again, the distributor is the issue..... has nothing to do with the way I build engines.. I’m not buying my a 120 dollar Bosch dizz just so the marks line up for cosmetic reasons.. and no, I’m keeping this car for a very long time
Dürtwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: How importaint is distributor drive shaft orientation? Reply with quote

Also, the shaft IS in fact going to stay correct. The distributor itself is what will be oriented with #1 pointing tward the flywheel. Shaft orientation will be correct for whoever pulls the dizz next
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: How importaint is distributor drive shaft orientation? Reply with quote

Dürtwagen wrote:
Also, the shaft IS in fact going to stay correct. The distributor itself is what will be oriented with #1 pointing tward the flywheel. Shaft orientation will be correct for whoever pulls the dizz next

Don't worry about it. You are all good.

https://www.facebook.com/mofoco?ref=ts&fref=ts

www.mofoco.com

Cylinder Head Reference Sheet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dürtwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: How importaint is distributor drive shaft orientation? Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
Dürtwagen wrote:

Don't worry about it. You are all good.

Awesome Cool
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: How importaint is distributor drive shaft orientation? Reply with quote

Dale M. wrote:
By the book.... It less confusing if you have to work on it at some later date and distributor orientation agrees with shop manual... Also if you sell engine/car, its less confusing to new owner...
Dale

This.

Dale M. wrote:
Like Glenn I lay distributor drive first (locked down with distributor) to get correct orientation then lay crank ...
Dale

Like both these guys, last year when I rebuilt my 1600cc engine I also installed and locked down the distributor/distributor shaft BEFORE I bolted on the 2nd half of the case. Easy peasy.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: How importaint is distributor drive shaft orientation? Reply with quote

At the end of the day it doesnt really matter as long as it sits correct.

I also do it as almost the last thing.
You have less to worry about upon case assembly, and
you don´t have to worry about gear teething when you rotate the engine during assembly.
Finally it is easier to determine the correct thickness of shims under the drive if you do it last. And no, the 2 shims stated in the "the book" is not always correct. Far from it actually.

T
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: How importaint is distributor drive shaft orientation? Reply with quote

Dürtwagen wrote:
The distributor itself is what will be oriented with #1 pointing tward the flywheel.

The location of #1 on the distributor is not the same on all distributors.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dürtwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: How importaint is distributor drive shaft orientation? Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Dürtwagen wrote:
The distributor itself is what will be oriented with #1 pointing tward the flywheel.

The dizz on the left looks oriented exactly like mine
Dürtwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: How importaint is distributor drive shaft orientation? Reply with quote

Also I noticed, when the rotor is pointing to the tdc mark, the points aren’t open... the rotor is almost done with its pass before the points even start to open, is this normal? My other vw was upgraded with electronic ignition in the past so I can’t really reference anything
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: How importaint is distributor drive shaft orientation? Reply with quote

for some people it's the end of the world as they know it, and it may never run... .For me I dont give a shit, Im smarter than the dist drive shaft.
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: How importaint is distributor drive shaft orientation? Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
Im smarter than the dist drive shaft.

Really???? Shocked Laughing
Sorry. I couldnt leave that on its own
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: How importaint is distributor drive shaft orientation? Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
for some people it's the end of the world as they know it, and it may never run... .For me I dont give a shit, Im smarter than the dist drive shaft.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Watch out, those gosh darn distributor drive shafts can be so dang complicated! Razz

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
UK Luke 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: How importaint is distributor drive shaft orientation? Reply with quote

I kinda try to set it right... Not unheard of though for me to have distributors pointing all manor of angles though Very Happy
Dürtwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: How importaint is distributor drive shaft orientation? Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
mark tucker wrote:

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Watch out, those gosh darn distributor drive shafts can be so dang complicated! Razz

....... really .?
Hustlers67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: How importaint is distributor drive shaft orientation? Reply with quote

I had to install mine 180 out on my recent build as the distributor vacuum can interfered with the carb linkage. Dizzy is the Mallory unilite and the linkage is the vintage speed / carrerra centre pull "best ever" linkage. Now my vacuum can faces towards the back of the car. Test fit your bits!
Dürtwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: How importaint is distributor drive shaft orientation? Reply with quote

Distributor ended up being a type 3. Not a big deal as long as it works
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: How importaint is distributor drive shaft orientation? Reply with quote

It's the 21st century, we should not discriminate on the basis of orientation.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: How importaint is distributor drive shaft orientation? Reply with quote

I bought a new distributor last spring to install in place of a warn out 009 and had exactly the same issue. I just relocated the plug wires on the cap and didn't give it a second thought.
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: How importaint is distributor drive shaft orientation? Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Dürtwagen wrote:
Trust me, I’m a “by the books” kind of person

When i build an engine, the distributor drive is the first thing i install. I then stuff a "dummy" distributor in so it don't move.Next is the crank and then the cam. So that way everything is indexed correctly.

This is the best application for the 009, and Chinese copies, in my experience. Cool

And I do them just like the Bentley says too.

Glenn wrote:
Dürtwagen wrote:

Cool

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!

Last edited by Lingwendil on Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
fivelugshortaxle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: How importaint is distributor drive shaft orientation? Reply with quote

Mine ended up 180 out....for cosmetics, I took the drive tang off the bottom of the distributor...turned it 180...put it back on. As far as if it ever gets sold to someone else? Think of it as a puzzle....eventually they'll figure it out
4340 84mm crank
AA 94mm p&c' s
Total seal 2nd ring, rest are Grants
5.5 h beams
Magnum straight cuts
Steve Long XR310 on a 106
CB 1.4 rockers
CB Magnaspark 2 distributor
NGK D7ea plugs
A1 lowdown 1 3/4 with single muffler
Dellorto 48's with 40 venturies
Kennedy Stage 2 with Daiken disc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: