Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Correct year
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Digger89L
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:29 pm    Post subject: Correct year Reply with quote

Perhaps some other members can chime in and convince the guy who's advertising this bug for sale that it is NOT a 1965 model ...my opinion based soley on the size of the rear quarter windows. He insists that its a 65 ..because (get this) ...it's registered as 65 !! (good grief). Just part of my personal mission to change the world!! www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2089820
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct year Reply with quote

There is something wrong about that bug.... but I can't place my finger on it. It's definitely not a '65, but it's also got the late rear decklid and apron and a straight shifter.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct year Reply with quote

Lots of possibilities, but since he's grafted in a much later rear decklid, the waters are muddied. The chassis may or may not match the body now. "IRS tranny"? Dual port motor? Obviously a heavily modified car.

I agree the basic body looks like a pre-'65. The exception may be that some non-German built cars (Mexico, maybe Australia or in Africa) used a body that kept the older window size.

But who cares? If you want to buy it, maybe it matters, but there's no sense expending effort to try to convince a seller of what he has.

And Frankenbeetles rarely command top dollar. He's asking a lot. Unless it's exactly the hybrid you are looking for, no sense in looking at it.
planenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct year Reply with quote

Almost looks like a '70. Did they have the vented deck lid? Also, does the tunnel number match the tag up front?
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct year Reply with quote

Look at the window openings. Not a USA 65 in my opinion.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct year Reply with quote

Heater controls are 65+. Frankenbug is probably titled on the later pan.

Whoever buys it will have a lot of work ahead of them undoing the nonsense that’s been done to it. Will see it as a fire sale in a few years or sold off for parts. I look at something like this and if he cares that little that he puts late fenders, decklid and apron on an early car, what other atrocities has he hidden under all that primer?
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct year Reply with quote

There was a guy that lived in the same apartment building I lived in Hermosa Beach Ca. in 1972. This guy had a 67 Beetle in Java Green. The car was a 6 volt that had the 1958-1964 body and a 1200 40hp. I found out from the owner that it was a 67 Mexican Beetle.
I have a friend that lives in Pismo Beach Ca. who's father was a VW dealer in Hamburg Germany and he gave her a new 67 beetle to go to school. She shipped the Beetle to the port of Los Angeles Ca. so she would have a car while she went to UCLA. Well she still has the car and it's a 67 6V. 1300.
Point is, there are many possibilities. Don't get me started on 1200 "A's" and Brazilian cars.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct year Reply with quote

He's got more problems than we can help solve here. Condition: Excellent? Ready for paint? Let him bleed out in the whines where it belongs.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct year Reply with quote

Bumper mounting holes front and rear appear to be the post 67 type (squared off style bumper)

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
slo356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct year Reply with quote

It is possible that the pre-65 body is sitting on a '65 pan.

The VIN number which is stamped on the pan/chassis, legally determines the year of the car, not the body or engine number. A longtime ago the year of all cars was determined by the engine serial number…this was really confusing when people started swapping engines. Forgot the year but the manufacturers, with the urging of the government, switched to the chassis number as to determine the model year.

So, it could be legally a '65...

Last edited by slo356 on Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct year Reply with quote

slo356 wrote:
It is possible that the pre-65 body is sitting on a '65 pan. The VIN number which is stamped on the pan/chassis, legally determines the year of the car, not the body or engine number. A longtime ago the year of the car was determined by the engine serial number…this was really confusing when people started swapping engines. Forgot the year but manufacturers with the earning of the government, switched to the chassis number to determine model year.

So, it could be legally a '65...

When Iwas a kid, I put a 71 body on a 63 pan. car registered as a 63. the pan is what counts in california for the vin and year id.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct year Reply with quote

Not always:
https://images.craigslist.org/00000_lDxovoTQk7B_1200x900.jpg

https://images.craigslist.org/00Q0Q_f9qGnLirVMw_1200x900.jpg

https://images.craigslist.org/00d0d_iaN0d0p1yg3_1200x900.jpg
Aussiebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:29 am    Post subject: Re: Correct year Reply with quote

The floor pan is 68 or earlier (the heater vents moved to under the door in 69).
The rear mud guards are 68 or later (bumper mounting slots).
The 4-slot engine lid is 74 or later, and wont fit on a pre 68 body without a lot of mods.
No rear quarter vents so the body is pre 72.
If the fuel filler has a finger indent, it's a 68 body. If it has no finger indent, it's a 69-71 body.

Could be a 68-71 body on a 65 pan.
http://www.vw-resource.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct year Reply with quote

One thing I notice on the body is that there are 4 screw holes for the door hinges. VW stopped doing that on German made models near the end of April, 1962. Not sure if/when that change was made outside of Germany though.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct year Reply with quote

hodge podge for sure. Has the hole next to the ashtray for choke cable, has holes for grab handle and no washer squirter.
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct year Reply with quote

Pan is a '71 or '72: Late heater control knobs ('65 and a few years later would have round black ball knobs), wide "T"-profile seat tracks for only those 2 years, straight shifter ('68 and later), late shifter base with the upturned front and rear edges. The 5-bolt drums in front would be from a '66 or '67 balljoint stub axle. Rear 5-bolt drums appear to not have the ribbed drums which started in '65. Possibly Thing drums? '72 engine lid would be a benefit for a dual-port engine with the 4 rows of cooling slots. A late apron and late engine lid are an unusual modification for an early car; maybe the car had rear collision damage and the seller had these solid parts on hand?

Quote:
Has the hole next to the ashtray for choke cable, has holes for grab handle and no washer squirter.
Good spotting; the choke cable hole would make the body a '60 at latest. Add to that the hole for the fuel reserve tap right above the tunnel.

If the car is solid and unrusted it would be tempting for a NorthEast car, but you'd need to carefully check the registration/title to see that the VIN matches "some" number on the car.
eric arnold
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:45 am    Post subject: Re: Correct year Reply with quote

to all this is the owner of this car and not one of you have looked at more then the pics , i bet none of you can or know how to build a car or a motor , you all love to write , but i bet you dont even own tools or have the skills , i have been in the vw world long before some of you were born , with that , you have a nice day
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: Correct year Reply with quote

eric arnold wrote:
to all this is the owner of this car and not one of you have looked at more then the pics , i bet none of you can or know how to build a car or a motor , you all love to write , but i bet you dont even own tools or have the skills , i have been in the vw world long before some of you were born , with that , you have a nice day

I would not take that bet. At least one of the folks here has been working on VWs since the 60s, how old did you say you were?
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:49 am    Post subject: Re: Correct year Reply with quote

yep none of us know anything about VW's , whether rebuilding a bug or a motor but we can spot a Frankenstein beetle with just a few obscure pics Laughing
But are handy with the key board.
All zund's tools are probably borrowed.
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
panicman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Correct year Reply with quote

Mr. Arnold, may I suggest a book to you? It's a pretty quick read, and a classic to boot:

https://m.barnesandnoble.com/w/how-to-win-friends-and-influence-people-dale-carnegie/1100370318
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: