Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hesitation, horns, and points - oh my.
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:00 pm    Post subject: Hesitation, horns, and points - oh my. Reply with quote

Just came inside from installing a Pertronix on my 77 FI bus. Times it after, and took it for a nice drive (about 10 miles). The thing ran like a raped ape and felt great all through the gears - it even pulled a solid 60 up a good grade hill on the local highway.
Funny thing though, I went to honk my horn at some waving kids and then the bus hesitated - as in cut out - it instantly regained itself and again ran great - until I honked again that is when it cut out, again! It happens regularly and predictably, but at idle I can't seem to detect a change.
Any ideas?

**Update**
Was on the phone with our (much missed) Stuart. Who suggested I disconnect the horn, and see what happened - the problem went away! But the car started hesitating more. It's late here and I can't be out on my driveway honking the horn, so I suppose I'm in for the night. But if anyone has an idea what I might be looking for please chime in!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Hesitation, horns, and points - oh my. Reply with quote

Pertronix needs a good 12v+ power source.

I know the 6v units can miss when the voltage drops to 5.6v. I've had a number of Porsche 356 owners tell me they could drive at night with the wipers on.

Mike, you might want to add a relay, so the ignition key triggers the relay to provide a sold 12v source from the battery.

Or, just don't use the horn.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Hesitation, horns, and points - oh my. Reply with quote

Why though would it cause issues now when the horn is disconnected?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Hesitation, horns, and points - oh my. Reply with quote

obnoxiousblue wrote:
Why though would it cause issues now when the horn is disconnected?

Since the horn switch is supposed to provide a ground for the horn that is a good question. Something must be amok somewhere in the steering column wiring.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Hesitation, horns, and points - oh my. Reply with quote

I am thinking the ignition switch is on its way out but some testing with a volt meter is warranted. That would be true whether points or electronic ignition. In fact you should not feel any difference between the two. Only long term as to not wearing out points.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: Hesitation, horns, and points - oh my. Reply with quote

For whatever its worth, my '73 does this too. It's motor features a later Bus fuel injection system and Pertronix ignition.

Just a small but noticeable drop from the engine briefly when honking the horn.

I don't know if I've tried it while idling or not.

I just attributed it to the fact that the horn takes a decent amount of current to operate and that is "stealing" the current from the motor briefly. Figure it is a slightly dirty ground or connection somewhere but it hasn't been bothersome enough for me to remember to check later.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Hesitation, horns, and points - oh my. Reply with quote

Replacing the ignition switch now. I called over to my FLAPS and ordered it at 8 am. They said it would be there by 1030. So I went outside and disassembled the bus and did a little chasing wit my volt meter. I disconnected the horn and found that the brown wire has good continuity from the switch chconnector down to the horn, the yellow and black wire has good continuity from the horn up to fuse S11 and the diagram says.
I'm hoping it is just as VWWestyman suggests - and if so will be going back to my points and condenser as I tried switching to Pertronix to ELIMINATE issues not create new ones.

Looks like Glenn was right - again.
Just once in 15 years I'd love to turn to him and say IM RIGHT! Lol

Will post back.

Some photos. Obviously at some time in the past someone cut the lock off. It's a clean break/cut so I'll see about getting it back on another time. It obviously hasn't caused any problems the past 10 years.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Hesitation, horns, and points - oh my. Reply with quote

Still doesn't make any sense why pushing the horn button would do anything at all once the hot wire to the horn was removed.

Can't tell you what to look for Crying or Very sad

Last edited by Wildthings on Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:28 am; edited 1 time in total
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: Hesitation, horns, and points - oh my. Reply with quote

I'd look for corrosion/voltage drops at the wire connectors before & after the ignition switch (Fuse panel (& headlight switch depending on model year.).).
The way that your switch is cracked usually only affects the start position or the ignition in the start position.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Hesitation, horns, and points - oh my. Reply with quote

If that does not work.
Note how the black wire that goes over to the coil N, supplies power to fuse S11 & S12.
To isolate which circuit the problem is in.
Pull S11 fuse and see if problem goes away.
If it goes away. Pop the fuse back in and start pulling the wires off the S11 fuse terminal one at a time until it goes away again.

If it does not go away on S11. Carry out the procedure on S12.

Good luck
Tcash

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiring/baybus_77-78_key.jpg
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Hesitation, horns, and points - oh my. Reply with quote

The new switch went in without a problem.
But it wasn't until I switched back to points that this funny hesitation went away. The bus is behaving totally normal now.
Could a Pertronix be THAT sensitive to voltage?
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Hesitation, horns, and points - oh my. Reply with quote

If the ignition switch and checking for voltage drop doesn't get it there is one more evil gremlin that could be at work here. The coil issues a wave form that the ECU follows to tell the injectors when to fire. The horn would also issue a wave form when it is buzzing. That could overwhelm the wave form from the electronic ignition if it is weaker than a set of points, and mess with the ECU signal. So if it doesn't go away with the new ignition switch and testing voltages for corrosion, ask Telford to design you a trap that captures that horn wave as it leaves the horn. probably a choke and capacitor combination can remove it.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Hesitation, horns, and points - oh my. Reply with quote

I have had a bad diode in an alternator cause an electronic ignition unit to fire randomly, causing all kinds of spitting and backfiring.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Hesitation, horns, and points - oh my. Reply with quote

obnoxiousblue wrote:

Could a Pertronix be THAT sensitive to voltage?

Yes, if you want to rule out the Pertronix.

Disconnect and tape off the ignition black wire from the coil #15
Run a jumper hot wire from the positive battery terminal to the coil #15
Start the vehicle measure the voltage at the coil #15. Needs to be 12v or above
See if the symptoms go away
If they do it is Voltage related
If not it is the Pertronix
You will have to remove the jumper wire to shut the engine off

Good luck
Tcash
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Hesitation, horns, and points - oh my. Reply with quote

TC - the battery acts as a huge capacitor. It alone may filter out any random wave forms that are interfering with the ECU. Also any corrosion along the path whether internal in the ignition switch, on fuses, or at connections can act as a diode which makes the situation worse (or better). Think about how the VDO tachs behave, jumping all over the place. Add a diode and it stops - in this case the diode stops half of the wave and somehow improves the signal - which can be filtering out reflected waves, or by cutting off 1/2 the wave form. Either way a diode changes things. Corrosion can act as a diode. The ECU is getting its signal from the waveform in the coil primary. Anything that alters that can have an effect on how the ECU delivers fuel. Without monitoring the waveform going to the ECU when the horn is hit I think it is going to be just trial and error looking for a fix. Dropping voltage certainly is suspect too and that is why I suggested the ignition switch. It would be the first place I would expect to see resistance build up.

Where is Telford? he should be in on this thread. He's an electronic engineer and incredibly understanding of bus circuits.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Hesitation, horns, and points - oh my. Reply with quote

I am glad you said ECU.
To my knowledge Pertronix does not make a distributor that will work with Fuel injection.

"Please note: this distributor will not work with fuel injected engines."
http://www.jbugs.com/product/186504.html

There was a good thread on this, but I cannot find it.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=615938&view=next
http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=146669

So unless Pertronix came out with a dist. designed to work with Fuel Injection, that is your problem.
Good luck
Tcash
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Hesitation, horns, and points - oh my. Reply with quote

Tons of great info here. You guys are awesome.
I will say, after today's projects I took the bus out for a nice shake down, and with the points back in it is behaving normal again - I did clean the spades on the horn and replace one of the female connectors that go on the horn. Cleaned the contacts from the fuse to the switch, within the switch (and steering wheel ring) and back down to the horn and ground lines. The hesitation has gone away and the horn is louder and more "reactive" than ever.
I can't believe that my (preemptive) installation of Pertronix to eliminate issues created so many!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Hesitation, horns, and points - oh my. Reply with quote

obnoxiousblue wrote:

I can't believe that my (preemptive) installation of Pertronix to eliminate issues created so many!

Sadly that has been my experience with the Pertronix units. Two junk Pertronix distributors and one bad Pertronix unit. I am back to running points.

My experience with running electronic ignitions on other rigs isn't much better. I have two Dodge trucks one which came with electronic ignition and one that came with points but which I converted to electronic ignition. Between the two I have had four ignition module failure which require multiple tows and a lot of walking to get into civilization. They both run points these days with zero issues.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Hesitation, horns, and points - oh my. Reply with quote

Quote:
I am glad you said ECU.
To my knowledge Pertronix does not make a distributor that will work with Fuel injection.

TC - glad you are here - I would not have known that. I still run points in the 77 bus because of the FI.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Hesitation, horns, and points - oh my. Reply with quote

The Pertronix Ignitor I (oldest model) module works wonderfully with the L-Jet system. It drops right into the stock SVDA style FI distributors, though I have not tested it on a DVDA FI system. Allegedly, they're CARB compliment, so it doesn't void any emissions test, not that the refs would know…

The jumper test from the battery + to coil + would narrow down the list of suspects pretty quickly.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: