Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Repro drawer for icebox in SO 42
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jgriffin13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:09 am    Post subject: Repro drawer for icebox in SO 42 Reply with quote

I have been in touch with NLA vw parts in England and they are willing to make new drawers for SO42 ice boxes. What they need are pictures and specs. My ice box in my 67 is missing so I'm no help. Can someone supply me with this information? BTW they have some very nice Campmobile parts to offer, some pretty hard to find .
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Repro drawer for icebox in SO 42 Reply with quote

You mean these?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8557123#8557123
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Repro drawer for icebox in SO 42 Reply with quote

nlorntson wrote:
You mean these?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8557123#8557123

I think he means the ice box drawer not the ice tray?

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jgriffin13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Repro drawer for icebox in SO 42 Reply with quote

Yes that's what they want to repro, the silverware drawer.
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Repro drawer for icebox in SO 42 Reply with quote

Ah, I see. The SO44 I have doesn't have that.
jgriffin13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Repro drawer for icebox in SO 42 Reply with quote

Hoping someone can supply pictures and specs for the silverware drawer the NLA would like to use to reproduce them. Thanks
DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Repro drawer for icebox in SO 42 Reply with quote

Heck; I can provide them with an extra drawer (temporarily) as long as I get it back...

...at the very least, I'll get that drawer out and get some detailed pictures and specs. over to them/you, whomever needs it.
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Repro drawer for icebox in SO 42 Reply with quote

I'm not sure that I would trust sending an original silverware drawer overseas and expect it to come back undamaged or come back at all. It might, it might not... I have an entire SO-42 Ice box complete and Knowing their value I wouldn't let it out of my sight. If I were you, I'd take very detailed measurements and photos for them to construst one. Then they could package and send their prototype drawer to you to test fit, and comment on. Also, you might try it on a few other SO-42 ice box units in your area. I doubt there are variances in size, but it would be worth it to the new manufacturer to know that their repro seems to fit all SO-42 ice box units well.

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
jgriffin13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Repro drawer for icebox in SO 42 Reply with quote

Thanks DadaCheese. You can send me any specs and pictures and I'll get them to NLA. I don't imagine NLA would deliberately harm or lose it but I agree the risk might not be worth taking and probably unnecessary anyway. PS If you have a drawer to sell I would gladly pay a good price for it in the meantime. Thanks again for your help.
DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Repro drawer for icebox in SO 42 Reply with quote

BulliBill wrote:
I'm not sure that I would trust sending an original silverware drawer overseas...

Bill, yeah, I get your point...

jgriffin13 wrote:
... PS If you have a drawer to sell I would gladly pay a good price for it in the meantime. Thanks again for your help.

jgriffin13, it's my pleasure to try to help. Sorry, but I haven't a drawer to sell. ...as a matter of fact, I looked for the extra one I thought I had, and couldn't find it. The pictures below are from the drawer I am currently using in The Toaster.

I'm certain to have forgotten some measurements, so if you need me to do any more, just ask... I hope these detailed photos give NLA a clear picture of how the drawer is constructed.

Again; if I forgot some measurements, or if you can't read the annotations, just let me know.

CLICK on each photo for the full-sized version of it, and then right-click on the big version of the photo and select "save image as..." to download it to your own computer for e-mailing to NLA.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

jgriffin13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Repro drawer for icebox in SO 42 Reply with quote

Thank you DadaCheese! Nice work! Should be all they need as far as i can tell. Will send it off to them and see what they say. Will contact you again if needed and will let you know how it goes.
DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Repro drawer for icebox in SO 42 Reply with quote

jgriffin13 wrote:
Thank you DadaCheese!

My pleasure...

...and now I'm seeing my typos and errors embedded into the pictures. Embarassed

"Demention" indeed.

I must have had this guy on my brain:

Link

jgriffin13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Repro drawer for icebox in SO 42 Reply with quote

Not to worry, spelling is the least of an SO42's problems. NLA sent back a request for one or two more pics specifically the color of the front laminate and if possible a picture of the front of the whole ice box unit with drawer in place. They also told me they have just now reproduced the folding table for the side of SO42 ice boxes and if their stuff in their catalog looks as good in person as it does in the catalog the table should be great. Thanks again for your help.
DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Repro drawer for icebox in SO 42 Reply with quote

jgriffin13 wrote:
...a request for one or two more pics specifically the color of the front laminate and if possible a picture of the front of the whole ice box unit with drawer in place. ...

jgriffin13, I'll be at the OCTO meet tomorrow in Long Beach, and I will take the photos then. Who knows; maybe I'll also manage to take a few of any other SO-42s that are there too.

I'll try to get them up sooner than later, but it may be Monday before I can/do.

Oh, and that's exciting that they have the side tables now!
I bought my (previously lost/missing) rear-window curtain rods from them, which are excellent repros. So pleased that they are around and providing so many interior parts.
jgriffin13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Repro drawer for icebox in SO 42 Reply with quote

I have their curtain rods too and agree about the quality. Thanks for the further pictures, and have a great time at OCTO . I'm in Connecticut so won't be there, (probably ever!)
jgriffin13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Repro drawer for icebox in SO 42 Reply with quote

Dada, can I bug you one more time for the followup pics NLA was looking for? Full frontal and something showing best representation of the color is what they say they need . Thanks! Hope Octo was awesome.
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Repro drawer for icebox in SO 42 Reply with quote

The color is the same as the rest of the wood looking laminate.
The "Gallery" is a pretty handy resource...

jgriffin13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Repro drawer for icebox in SO 42 Reply with quote

Thanks very much , should have thought of the Gallery myself. I hope NLA gets on this reasonably soon. When they do it should be a good piece.
griffs79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Repro drawer for icebox in SO 42 Reply with quote

NLA has finished my SO42 silverware drawer repro and will be offering them as part of their cabinetry repro items. I have not received it yet of course, it will be shipped soon and I will report on it's fit etc as soon as possible. ( The cabinetry of my bus is in storage at the moment.) Thanks to all who helped with specs and pix, let's hope it's a good job. PS they're offering it with or without handle and lock/latch.
step 6. Love. You must do this work with love or you fail. John Muir. Presently Blitzen 79 7 pass. Comet 73 thing . Previous 63 beetle, 60 beetle, 71 beetle, 68 squareback, 64 standard bus , 65 standard bus, 65 13 window, 71 tintop westy, 73 kombi , 74 kombi
griffs79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Repro drawer for icebox in SO 42 Reply with quote

My silverware drawer arrived yesterday and looks to be an excellent reproduction. My cabinetry including ice box is in storage so I can't report on the fit yet but thanks to Dada Cheese's posted measurements it should be correct. Can't believe it took a year but the wait is over. Maybe we can get NLA to build whole iceboxes ,,,,
step 6. Love. You must do this work with love or you fail. John Muir. Presently Blitzen 79 7 pass. Comet 73 thing . Previous 63 beetle, 60 beetle, 71 beetle, 68 squareback, 64 standard bus , 65 standard bus, 65 13 window, 71 tintop westy, 73 kombi , 74 kombi
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: