Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1978 West Clutch Cable?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jrschuler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:33 am    Post subject: 1978 West Clutch Cable? Reply with quote

I have a 1978 Westy, and was driving it on a longer trip...stopped at a stoplight and couldn't get it into any gear. I could get it into first if I turned the engine off and bumped the starter while I slid it into gear. After that I just hit my shifts at the right rpm...and got it home.

The next day I tightened up the clutch cable a little bit, drove it, and the shifting still felt a little "notchy" to me. Tightened up the cable a little more and it feels fine now, but it looks like I'm running out of room to adjust the clutch cable any more...its about to the end of the threads (towards the front of the bus). I recently had the engine rebuilt and when I was putting everything together the clutch looked like it was in good shape.

New clutch? Clutch cable old and stretched out? Any bearings and/or bushings? This is my first VW, so I have a lot to learn. Thanks for the help!
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 West Clutch Cable? Reply with quote

Welcome!
Try another cable first, sounds like yours is stretching as it slowly breaks.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 West Clutch Cable? Reply with quote

jrschuler wrote:
I have a 1978 Westy, and was driving it on a longer trip...stopped at a stoplight and couldn't get it into any gear. I could get it into first if I turned the engine off and bumped the starter while I slid it into gear. After that I just hit my shifts at the right rpm...and got it home.

The next day I tightened up the clutch cable a little bit, drove it, and the shifting still felt a little "notchy" to me. Tightened up the cable a little more and it feels fine now, but it looks like I'm running out of room to adjust the clutch cable any more...its about to the end of the threads (towards the front of the bus). I recently had the engine rebuilt and when I was putting everything together the clutch looked like it was in good shape.

New clutch? Clutch cable old and stretched out? Any bearings and/or bushings? This is my first VW, so I have a lot to learn. Thanks for the help!

Clutch Failures

On flat ground, Engine off in neutral it should shift into 1-4 without to much problem.
If you had to tighten the clutch cable, as busdaddy posted inspect the cable. As the clutch disc wears out, unlike on other cars we loosen the clutch cable adjuster we do not tighten it.
Clutch Free Play

Inspect the rear shift coupler and the front shift bushing while you are at it.
Shifter Parts ID T2

Good luck
Tcash
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 West Clutch Cable? Reply with quote

Remove and clean the ground strap on the front of your transmission. Replace it if it seems very ratty. When the ground strap goes bad the starter current will pass along the clutch cable causing it to rapid stretch and soon fail.
jrschuler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 West Clutch Cable? Reply with quote

Awesome guys, thanks for all of the replies. I'll let you know how it goes. Hopefully I'll have some time this weekend to get at it.
jrschuler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 West Clutch Cable? Reply with quote

Hey, thanks again everyone. I replaced the cable, shift coupler, and the bushing up front. The cable was about to break, the shift coupler was pretty “wallered out,” and the bushing up front was mia. Shifting it now is a completely different experience...hahaha.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 West Clutch Cable? Reply with quote

Good work, hope you got hold of a quality bushing so that it shifts well for a long time to come.
jrschuler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 West Clutch Cable? Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Good work, hope you got hold of a quality bushing so that it shifts well for a long time to come.

Thanks! I got it from Wolfsburg West...do you think they have good stuff? Im super new to all of this.
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 West Clutch Cable? Reply with quote

Very Happy Glad to see it was a straight forward maintenance issue-- one thing I noticed was if offered a choice between Brazilian and German parts --ALWAYS take the German part. Because the fact there is a choice-- means the Brazzi part is a piece of shit- especially with door n window seals.

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: