Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vintage Speed muffler
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
lauzboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed muffler Reply with quote

Motor60 wrote:

Yes I was writin down all my readings with different combos. I couldn’t get it to run right so I gave up and bought a merged header. Installed the header WITHOUT changing any jetting. Fired it up and was very lean. My idle progression was in the 18-19s which was why I couldn’t drive on just progression. I re-tuned with header ended up 55 idles with 16-17 on progression. THEN re-installed the VS exhaust. Bug ran great BUT exhaust fumes were heavy inside the cab. Don’t know why. I have a convertible and my lid is propped open from bottom so I can get cool air with the top down.
After a DKP xmas run, the fam got naseous. So I took it back off and put header back on. NOW, I’ve been searching the earth for a high performance quiet pack. Or at least one WITHOUT drone. I’ve tried dynomax. So far, the ALs headers dual quiet packs have been working but I’m not a fan of huge exhaust. I’d rather have a single muffler that doesn’t have drone.

So you put the headers on and found 18-19 on progression. Do you recall what the reading was on progression with the VS on?
I'm wondering if i can assume some linear relationship between wideband readings with the VS muffler and "true" readings. I'm doubting this but worth investigating
Motor60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed muffler Reply with quote

On progression, with VS, my readings were 15-16. With headers, same idle jets, readings were 18-19. Much hesitation on acceleration.

With correct jetting, headers read 16-17. When I put back on the VS, it read 12-13. It was my opinion that the VS reads rich when in fact it’s way lean. That’s why I could never get the tuning right with that muffler.

Since then, I’ve removed the VS and am using a header system now. No one else has chimed in with this issue. Or they don’t even know it’s an issue and their tune is way off.
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed muffler Reply with quote

I dont think the location of the O2 sensors in the VS mufflers will work. Its a dead air zone. Probably was just put there for convenience by the Mfg'r
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed muffler Reply with quote

Finally re-clocked the flanges so the heater boxes match the muffler. Now to get it all coated.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DONGKG
The Araneta Boys

Location: Cainta, Rizal, Philippines, "A Certified Type 3 and Karmann Ghia Maniac"

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:14 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed muffler Reply with quote

norris wrote:
I'm tired of the big muffler hanging off the back of my 54 Oval....not to mention the noise. I'm just about ready to pull the trigger on a VS but have a question for you guys. The 54 doesn't have exhaust cut outs in the apron....does anyone know if this will be a problem? If so, can I run a single outlet VS bus muffler?
The 2276 is really strong and I realize that I may need to rejet the 48IDFs.
Tell me what you think.
Thanks

I guess the VS with two pipes can fit on the apron of your '54 Oval even if there are no cutaway provisions for the peashooters. For sure VS had in mind the big big market for bugs whose aprons have no cutaway provisions. Otherwise, the the next available mufflers is the one with four pipes that are angled a bit downward in order not to get entangled with the cutaway-less rear apron. But will not work property on your Oval's big engine. This is for the Okrasa-inspired engines only.

BTW, so so looking awesome Oval there, Buddy!
'67 Splitty Bus
'65 beetle;'69 Country Buggy; '44 Kubelwagen (replica) TOOB MEMBER #20
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DONGKG
The Araneta Boys

Location: Cainta, Rizal, Philippines, "A Certified Type 3 and Karmann Ghia Maniac"

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:19 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed muffler Reply with quote

I just made some research, and this is what I found: for 1955 + models

@ http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Vintage-Speed-SS-Sport-Muffler-155-203-05200-p/155-203-05200.htm

Quote:
Vintage Speed Stainless Steel Sport Muffler (Up to 125hp) for 1300-1600cc Based Type 1 Engine in 1956-74 Beetle, Super Beetle, and Ghia, 155-203-05200 is the finest "Pea Shooter" exhaust available for your VW Beetle or Ghia! This model exits the pea shooters like stock, in the stock Rear Apron Cutouts on 1955+ carbureted models! This is a 1 1/2" (38mm) exhaust system, which is a HUGE upgrade from the stock 1 1/4" (32mm) system. This is called the "Heater Style" muffler because it is designed to retain the stock or 1 1/2" (38mm) heater boxes!

'67 Splitty Bus
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
norris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed muffler Reply with quote

Thanks man. I'm going to order that system in 1 5/8" tomorrow from aircooled.net. The one I need has the Abarth type pipes. Just ordered a distributor from Glenn, so I should be good to go....for a while.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DONGKG
The Araneta Boys

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed muffler Reply with quote

norris wrote:
Thanks man. I'm going to order that system in 1 5/8" tomorrow from aircooled.net. The one I need has the Abarth type pipes. Just ordered a distributor from Glenn, so I should be good to go....for a while.

Cool one. Looks like your oval will have her fresh look once the new muffler system had been installed. Keep up posted on the installation. Thanks.
'67 Splitty Bus
lauzboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed muffler Reply with quote

Motor60 wrote:
On progression, with VS, my readings were 15-16. With headers, same idle jets, readings were 18-19. Much hesitation on acceleration.

With correct jetting, headers read 16-17. When I put back on the VS, it read 12-13. It was my opinion that the VS reads rich when in fact it’s way lean. That’s why I could never get the tuning right with that muffler.

Since then, I’ve removed the VS and am using a header system now. No one else has chimed in with this issue. Or they don’t even know it’s an issue and their tune is way off.

Thanks man. That's brilliant info!
KILLERWATT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed muffler Reply with quote

Probably 7 years ago the bus ones had a problem with the inside baffle welds breaking which made a terrible noise. They added more weld and fixed the problem. I ran one for a few years daily and never had a problem with mine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MUD.MAN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed muffler Reply with quote

SO after reading this post I have gathered. Replace mounting hardware. Has a quiet sound. Might crack at welds. very few are posting on performance. I don't want to loose any HP,or much. I,m wanting my car to be quieter and my current system is kinda bumping and grinding on the body and such. I am running a 1 7/8 header with a fat boy. If I get the larger VS will it performance close?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
norris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed muffler Reply with quote

I ordered a VS 1 5/8" system from aircooled.net a week or so ago. Hopefully will receive it in a couple of weeks. I'll report on fit and performance when I do.

Last edited by norris on Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Motor60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed muffler Reply with quote

Mine is 1 5/8” superflow. I didn’t think I lost any performance. Except maybe on fwy. I felt like it didn’t have as much torque at higher speeds. But it is MUCH quieter on fwy. Definitely noise improvement.
Might be interested in selling....
norris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed muffler Reply with quote

Fit perfectly. My 54 Oval no longer sounds like Nissan or Honda with a "coffee can" exhaust. Now sounds like a VW but with a deep throaty rumble. No drone at speed.

pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed muffler Reply with quote

And it looks good too! Cool
norris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed muffler Reply with quote

pyrOman wrote:
And it looks good too! Cool

Thanks.

I've spent the day adjusting the timing and carbs after installing the 1 5/8" VS system, one of Glenn's 010 distributors and a Winterburn CDI. Everything is working quite well together. The most notable observation is that I seem to have better torque at lower rpms. When I shift to second at a low rpm it "pulls" better than it did with the A-1 headers/muffler.....easier with less shifting to corner around town. I more than likely have lost a bit of high rpm HP/torque but I'll never know as I rarely go over 4500rpm.

I'm very please with the VS system. Installation was a snap even on my Oval with a big engine. I love the look. A friend of mine was just over here checking it out...he says it sounds just like his '61 356....makes me smile!
And, btw, my Oval is quite a bit faster than his 356 and handles almost as well.
blue65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:53 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed muffler Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:

FYI, be sure to glue the two bolt nuts on either side of the cylinder muffler or tighten them from time to time as they will wiggle out leaving a hole.

I lost both of them.
Redlines
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed muffler Reply with quote

Am seriously considering this muffler but wanted the "quiet" version. However, unless I'm mistaken, I thought the quiet version was an extra $35.00. Now I see its $100.00. Is the quieter version that much quieter? I'd give it a shot for $35 but don't know about $100. Maybe I just don't remember correctly!
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed muffler Reply with quote

these days it seems everything is more expensive when your ready to get it.
Paul.H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed muffler Reply with quote

k@rlos wrote:
Horrid things! overpriced, restrictive and sound awful. Swapped 1 on a 2054 stroker with a sidewinder and it made 19hp more

SSSSh don't let facts get in the way of good opinion Wink
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: