Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Distributor shaft popping out
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
barefootwestie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:39 pm    Post subject: Distributor shaft popping out Reply with quote

After doing an engine cleanup over the past several years, I've put my distributor back in and she fired up. Timing not perfect but thats ok.

The problem is after shutting it off and somewhat of a celebration, tried to crank again and wouldn't start. After troubleshooting, the rotor is turning freely and not engaged with the gear. The distributor is seat as far down as it will go and the holder is tight.

Any ideas what I may be overlooking? Never had an issue with the distributor doing that before.

1973 Westfalia
"Getting better....one repair at a time."

Other VW's owned through the years, in no particular order:
'67 Beetle,
'67 Ghia Hardtop,
'72 Ghia Convertible,
'72 Westfalia

Last edited by barefootwestie on Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor popping out Reply with quote

Check the distributor hold down clamp. Is it twisted and not 'holding' the distributor where you can't spin it?

The cheap Chinese distributor clamps are famous for this.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor popping out Reply with quote

barefootwestie wrote:
After doing an engine cleanup over the past several years, I've put my distributor back in and she fired up. Timing not perfect but thats ok.

The problem is after shutting it off and somewhat of a celebration, tried to crank again and wouldn't start. After troubleshooting, the rotor is turning freely and not engaged with the gear. The distributor is seat as far down as it will go and the holder is tight.

Any ideas what I may be overlooking? Never had an issue with the distributor doing that before.

Pull the rotor off, turn it over, and see if the key underneath it is broken. If yes replace, if not put the rotor back on and be sure the key engages on th distributor shaft. Then slowly turn the rotor to see if it stops - if it keeps spinning, turn it slowly while pushing the distributor down until the distributor drops into the slot.
barefootwestie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor popping out Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
Check the distributor hold down clamp. Is it twisted and not 'holding' the distributor where you can't spin it?

The hold down clamp is flush with the block so yes. Don't know if its a chinese distributor, same one Ive had since bought it 11 years ago.

It' a 021 905 205 P if that helps.

1973 Westfalia

'67 Beetle,
'67 Ghia Hardtop,
'72 Ghia Convertible,
'72 Westfalia
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor popping out Reply with quote

The dog on the bottom of the distributor shaft may kind of grab when the shaft is 180° out. Turn the rotor a full 180° and see if the dog will lock into the slot?

If the thrust washers that fit between the dog gear and housing are missing the dog gear can ride higher than it should increasing the chance that it will not stay in the slot.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor popping out Reply with quote

barefootwestie wrote:
wcfvw69 wrote:

The hold down clamp is flush with the block so yes. Don't know if its a chinese distributor, same one Ive had since bought it 11 years ago.

It' a 021 905 205 P if that helps.

I'm speaking of the distributor hold down where the clamp the squeezes together with the bolt and holds the distributor from turning. Sometimes the cheaper hold down clamps have cheap bolts and they are the nut strip as well.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor popping out Reply with quote

it's a type 4 engine. didn't know there were cheap chinese type 4 clamps being made.
deja vu kinda sorta all over again? https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=686566
barefootwestie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor popping out Reply with quote

Yeah. Mine has the big 10mm hex to tighten it

1973 Westfalia

'67 Beetle,
'67 Ghia Hardtop,
'72 Ghia Convertible,
'72 Westfalia
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor popping out Reply with quote

can you post a pic from above showing your distributor installed? perhaps is it not truly seated even though you think it is. like the vac can is hitting the case, etc
barefootwestie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor popping out Reply with quote

Thanks for the other link.

1973 Westfalia

'67 Beetle,
'67 Ghia Hardtop,
'72 Ghia Convertible,
'72 Westfalia
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor popping out Reply with quote

Loosen the clamp, rotate the rotor while pressing down firmly until you you feel the shafts align, the dizzy should noticeable drop a bit as you do this. Twist the dizzy body down as far as it will go and lightly snug the clamp. Time engine and tighten clamp.
barefootwestie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor popping out Reply with quote

I'll try it again. Gotta pull the plug again to find tdc. Third time's a charm... Hopefully.

1973 Westfalia

'67 Beetle,
'67 Ghia Hardtop,
'72 Ghia Convertible,
'72 Westfalia
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor popping out Reply with quote

If you removed the distributor drive gear? Make sure you put the washer back under it.
thnx jesey
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
barefootwestie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:35 am    Post subject: Re: Distributor popping out Reply with quote

Didn't remove the gear.

After thinking about overnight, I should have clarified. I don't think the actual distributor is popping out. Seems like it's more the shaft from the gear. The rotor is still attached properly but the shaft spins freely. When I put in both times so far, the shaft would only turn with the engine. Then would crank and it's like the shaft is disconnecting from the gear. There doesn't seem to be a lot of play in the distributor and again, everything was working properly prior to me removing it.

Maybe I'm not pressing the distributor shaft in hard enough. Is it like a socket and ratchet fitting somewhat?

Thanks for all your help. Hope to look at again tonight or. This weekend.

1973 Westfalia

'67 Beetle,
'67 Ghia Hardtop,
'72 Ghia Convertible,
'72 Westfalia

Last edited by barefootwestie on Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:02 am; edited 1 time in total
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:38 am    Post subject: Re: Distributor popping out Reply with quote

Take a good look at the distributor clamp. If you tighten it too much it will buckle and lift the distributor body away from the block. Even if made in Germany.
If its made in china then it may begin its life this way - my EMPI needed the fixing tang straightened up so when it was bolted down the clamp was actually flat to the block.

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
furgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: Distributor popping out Reply with quote

mikedjames wrote:

If its made in china then it may begin its life this way - my EMPI needed the fixing tang straightened up so when it was bolted down the clamp was actually flat to the block.

The OP mentioned it was a 021 905 205 P, so it should be an original Bosch (unless Chinese distributors also have the VW part number stamped).

Decode your M-Plate
barefootwestie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:11 am    Post subject: Re: Distributor popping out Reply with quote

I don't want to get over sentimental or anything, but I sure do appreciate you guys. I haven't been on very much the past 2 years as I just haven't had time for working on the bus because of life and focusing on the wife and kids, but then I just show up, and you guys are always there. Applause

Really glad this forum hasn't died away due to people's attitudes.

1973 Westfalia

'67 Beetle,
'67 Ghia Hardtop,
'72 Ghia Convertible,
'72 Westfalia
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Distributor popping out Reply with quote

The only two distributors that I am aware of that are being reproduced are the 0 231 178 009 and the 0 231 170 034 (VW# 043 905 205). it's unlikely any of the Bosch DVDA will be reproduced. I am aware of some efforts to reproduce the 0 231 129 010 and 019 in cast iron which should be interesting. I get this question all the time with a customer concerned that their 113 905 205 T is a German Bosch unit.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tasb

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: Distributor popping out Reply with quote

Sometimes even on original clamps that have been over tightened the clamp stays flat but the 10 mm od bolt starts to bend making proper tightening impossible which results in more tightening/ bending required...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tasb

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Distributor popping out Reply with quote

Sometimes even on original clamps that have been over tightened the clamp stays flat but the 10 mm od bolt starts to bend making proper tightening impossible which results in more tightening/ bending required. this is the result:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Rolling Eyes

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: