Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1956 lowlight restoration
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 1956 lowlight restoration Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
nice work. Here is a visual for you (its a fender Blackdog Corey is selling) Its got great pics of the area you are working on.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1991772

Thanks.
Judging by those pictures I think I'm fine, though it looks like the lower area behind that fender was stitched on at some point.
It's kind of nuts that the largest expanse of the run, 55-66 they don't sell the correct repair panel, but do offer one for the big bumper cars and the in betweens.
Moved on to the engine compartment. I don't even want to look if they make a correct battery tray so I used a section from a Porsche 356 floor pan and modified it. Pix to come.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 1956 lowlight restoration Reply with quote

Been a while.
I had two weeks off for Christmas, so I thought I could get all the metal work and major bodywork done and have the thing primered before I return to work tomorrow, but that didn't happen. Instead I found more rot that had to be cut out on the left side rear corner and after sand blasting rust on the rockers I discovered even more rot there. Lucky me.
I also had to sandblast all that surface rust on the right rear quarter and various other places before I could start the bodywork. Using my stud puller I pulled out the panels as much as I could and then commenced with the filler gradually building it up in thin layers until I got most of the right rear smooth. Still need to finish up that rocker.
I also did the rear left section that was rotted out and the left rear rocker. The inner part was rotted so I had to patch that up as well. To avoid the risk of metallic rejection I used pieces from a donor.
To get more accurate patches I cut the rotted sections out, laid them flat and shot paint around them. Works great.
Hopefully this week I can get the metal and bodywork finished and epoxy and poly prime the rear section of the body. I can then move on to the removable panels which are in much nicer shape.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 1956 lowlight restoration Reply with quote

Finished up my metal work on the main body exterior and then did the body work. It's still rough, but I'd say 90% done but that 10% makes all the difference between a halfass job and a good one.
I shot the epoxy sealer and tomorrow morning will shoot the polyprimer. After that I will focus on the doors, hood and decklid which are mercifully in nice shape, and then will mount them and check and adjust gaps.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 1956 lowlight restoration Reply with quote

great progress, its come a long way!
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 1956 lowlight restoration Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
great progress, its come a long way!

Thanks.

Polyprimed the rear today, a mist coat then three thick ones. Should cover most defects but will still have to do some more skimming in small spots for sure and then likely another round of polyprime and block sanding then hopefully tha will do it.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 1956 lowlight restoration Reply with quote

Quote:
Polyprimed the rear today, a mist coat then three thick ones.

The sanding primer i am using now...you almost cant mist it, it drys before it hits. Its PPG Shopline JP355, I can have to hold the gun closer and spray moving slowly. I need good light to watch closely to see how it is hitting my target. When used correctly it works great. I'm still learning...using the while on the job method. I remember you get your supplies from TCP, did I ask what products you like to use?
I went from a ghia to working on a DC, massive difference in size and scope! Its like a ghia has 100 parts and DC has 1000, huge learning curve in comparison.
70 140
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 1956 lowlight restoration Reply with quote

I must have spent 30 minutes looking at your body work & primer photos. It looks really good. I'll be watching your posts on adjusting panel gaps.

Also noted the deluxe bumper collection.
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 1956 lowlight restoration Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
Quote:

The sanding primer i am using now...you almost cant mist it, it drys before it hits. Its PPG Shopline JP355, I can have to hold the gun closer and spray moving slowly. I need good light to watch closely to see how it is hitting my target. When used correctly it works great. I'm still learning...using the while on the job method. I remember you get your supplies from TCP, did I ask what products you like to use?
I went from a ghia to working on a DC, massive difference in size and scope! Its like a ghia has 100 parts and DC has 1000, huge learning curve in comparison.

I use the Kustom Shop KPP 105 from TCP. I love that stuff, but you have to use it over epoxy, that's why I shoot the sealing coat over the metal and bondo. The polyprimer sands so nice, I use 125 dry on rubber blocks. Learned from an old timer how to do it after years of doing it wrong (let the block float over the surface, don't push down) and man it just eats up imperfections.
I did a '62 Mosaic Westy camper acouple years ago that was a nightmare, lot of lower rust and shoddy past repairs and worse off some idiot sandblasted it in and out warping every panel, even blowing some off the frame.
Anyway, that project near killed me do I swore off buses for now. Little cars are enough work, right?
Do you have a thread on your D.C.?

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 1956 lowlight restoration Reply with quote

70 140 wrote:
I must have spent 30 minutes looking at your body work & primer photos. It looks really good. I'll be watching your posts on adjusting panel gaps.

Also noted the deluxe bumper collection.

Thanks, it's still in its rough stage.
Working outside in what passes for winter and the rainy season, I have to get epoxy and Poly on that thing before the next rain hits otherwise it's flashrust city so I save the detailed stuff for later when I can really take my time and OCD on it.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1956 lowlight restoration Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
c21darrel wrote:
Quote:

I use the Kustom Shop KPP 105 from TCP. I love that stuff, but you have to use it over epoxy, that's why I shoot the sealing coat over the metal and bondo. The polyprimer sands so nice, I use 125 dry on rubber blocks. Learned from an old timer how to do it after years of doing it wrong (let the block float over the surface, don't push down) and man it just eats up imperfections.
I did a '62 Mosaic Westy camper acouple years ago that was a nightmare, lot of lower rust and shoddy past repairs and worse off some idiot sandblasted it in and out warping every panel, even blowing some off the frame.
Anyway, that project near killed me do I swore off buses for now. Little cars are enough work, right?
Do you have a thread on your D.C.?

Thanks for the info and tips!! I could only imagine how much is involved on an F'ed up early camper.
Im using PPG, DP epoxy DTM. It has a 7 day window to topcoat, probaly much like what you are using. I really only have weekends to work so if I cant get the sanding primer on before weekend is over....im sure you know the drill. My painting mentor says just scuff the 7+ day DP and shoot the sanding primer, creating a physical bond. Others say you have to re-shoot the DP and then sanding primer for chemical bond. I just finished my gates and I ended up strip to bare metal, bang/pound/weld then DP. (as a side note, I did insides too. I set the gates one by one in a big plastic tub and pumped phosphoric acid thru the insides. Rinsed and dryed then hand poured a qt Rustoleum with a funnel thru the vent holes to coat the inside. I had to cut open in a few spots and found that I got great coverage. It was a lot of work but insides all protected going forward. ) After bodyworking them I re DP'ed and got them in sanding primer last weekend.
I dont have a thread on the DC, i may do that as I will need lots of help! Its just me, on weekends so progress can be slow.

Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 1956 lowlight restoration Reply with quote

That gate looks great!
Getting those flat areas straight has to be a challenge, can't use bondo there!

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 1956 lowlight restoration Reply with quote

The KG looks great. What Delvilbiss gun are you using? Are you going to paint it yourself?
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: 1956 lowlight restoration Reply with quote

chrisflstf wrote:
The KG looks great. What Delvilbiss gun are you using? Are you going to paint it yourself?

Have an old Finishline.
That's the plan. I bought a real compressor so I think I will go ahead and do it myself. Not sure I want to do the cut and buff, so I might hire a detailer to do that bit.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
kman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: 1956 lowlight restoration Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
Quote:

What size is the tip on your primer gun? Should be at least 1.8, but I use a 2.2. no point in misting primer anyway.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 1956 lowlight restoration Reply with quote

Quote:
That gate looks great!
Getting those flat areas straight has to be a challenge, can't use bondo there!

Thanks. That is left and right gates. When I started working them i figured 2 weekends maybe 3 and they would be in primer. It took 3 months Crying or Very sad

Quote:
What size is the tip on your primer gun? Should be at least 1.8, but I use a 2.2. no point in misting primer anyway.

Im not sure it must be stamped somewhere but ive never seen it. Its an old DeVilbiss suction feed I bought at Pomona swap for $10. I will look for the stamp, thanks Kman!
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 1956 lowlight restoration Reply with quote

The Devilbiss comes with 3 tips, biggest 1.8. But it uses 13 CFM of air at around 23 psi, if I remember. What kind of compressor do you have, Braukuche? And if you dont mind me asking, what do you use for a filter, water sep, etc?
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 1956 lowlight restoration Reply with quote

chrisflstf wrote:
The Devilbiss comes with 3 tips, biggest 1.8. But it uses 13 CFM of air at around 23 psi, if I remember. What kind of compressor do you have, Braukuche? And if you dont mind me asking, what do you use for a filter, water sep, etc?

I bought a Northstar 60 gallon compressor, belt driven, quite and efficient.
I use a big old Snapon water separator. I run about seven feet of hose to it from the compressor.
I ran 70lbs of air at the valve situated on the out line of the compressor to the rubber hose. It was the only way I could get the Poly to atomize right. My gauge at the gun malfunctioned so I've no idea what actuall pressure was.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 1956 lowlight restoration Reply with quote

Blech, caught that damn flu last week and was couch ridden since, luckily I got my stuff off to the machinist before then and my son picked up the last of it, the heads yesterday.
One was severely cracked, from plug to plug and in other spots. He had to gouge out the cracks and weld them up and remachine. He got them to match the other set at 45. So know I have the privilege of seeing the Okrasa stamp every time I change my oil.
Pretty pricey to have the work done, and I could have gotten the WW heads, but my rationale is one, I've always wanted to have an Okrasa kit, its why I bought the damn car in the first place cause I needed a home for the engine and I have the rest of the kit and don't see any point in mixing it up.
Anyway, hopefully they will last...won't find out for a while, my son has Dibs on the engine stand for a bus engine he is building.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1956 lowlight restoration Reply with quote

Okrasa! Sweet!
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 1956 lowlight restoration Reply with quote

So I had the original hood to the car and wanted to use it, but it turned out it was too roached. Like the rest of the car it was rotting from the inside out which is the worst. I managed to fix the rot on the front edge but then what I thought were workable small holes on the boxed frame were surrounded by paper thin rotted areas and there was just no metal to weld to. Luckily the car came with a nice donor hood. Very straight and no rot, though plenty of deep pitting. I had to sand blast the rust off and then epoxy and Poly primed. I also had to adjust the hood gap, way too much on the passenger side so I filled a bit to get it even. It looks off up front because the hood isn't sitting down all the way.

I also began to strip the door. Like the rest of the car it has four coats of paint. The original Gazelle Beige, then silver, then copper and then oxidized pink which looks white.This door has no bondo on it and no apparent damage and no rust. Can't believe how nice it is, wish the rest of the car was like this.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Page 3 of 13

Jump to: