Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1956 lowlight restoration
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: 1956 lowlight restoration Reply with quote

Doors and decklid have been cleaned up and mounted to check gaps. Doors are amazingly dry and straight, decklid was a mess and had to be sandblasted, a few minor dents banged out, lip contoured to match rear apron, and two patches welded in. Plan for his week is to get bodywork on the decklid finished, then epoxy and Poly prime them.
In the meantime I started blocking the roof and left fender and nose up to the seam. Found plenty of low spots that need to be filled on the fender which was a mess. Will skim those with two part glazing, sand, and then shoot Poly over it and block again. This is why good paint jobs cost a mint...an why I do it myself.
I also got the pan in my driveway since I have to mount the body before I can adjust the door gaps for the final time.
The PO had found an early clean lowlight pan and cut out the halves and welded them in correctly so I have all thr proper stamping, etc. he then sandblasted it and POR 15 it. My plan is to Scotchbrite it and shoot it with black paint. I can then assemble the pan with all the components and drop the body over top.
Lastly, I also got the gear box, a later split case completely rebuilt. I have all CAD plated hardware for it from the PO to replace the rusty stuff.
So many toys to play with at This point I have to stay focused on a logical order to get it done right.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 1956 lowlight restoration Reply with quote

Been making some progress. Winter actually arrived her so sporadic rain means no sanding and does mean working on the pan and starting assembly of the Okrasa engine using my stash of vintage speed nonsense, original Okrasa heads, manifolds, linkage, real pre A OT pulley, six dowl original flywheel, Solex 32 PBIC carbs, Knecht pre A air cleaners, along with a Wolfsburgwest 69.5mm stroker crank and Okrasa grind cam, pushrods, AA 80mm pistons and cylinders, and Ricardo's Ghia elbows for the air cleaners.

Case is the original one to the car, so I had all the oil passages opened, tapped. I cleaned all the passages out with small brushes getting out a lot of crud.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 1956 lowlight restoration Reply with quote

Been making some progress.
Built the engine, using mostly original parts, such as fasteners, tins, distributor, carbs, heads, etc. I did chose to use a 71 and later style offset oil cooler along with the 36hp style shroud, but I wanted better cooling for those brittle original Okrasa heads. I have the same set up on a 60 convertible we own an deven it keeps that engine cooler than a cucumber.
I mounted the engine on the pan just because it looks cool and because it easier. I figure I'll need to pull the carbs when I go to drop th body on. The oil filter has a cool period sticker on it which I saved when I repainted it.
I also continued with my first round of blocking now that the weather is dry. Looking pretty good except for the nose which still had some low spots.
My plan for this week is to finish the first round of blocking, shoot three more coats of polyprimer, sand the inside then seal and shoot color. After that I can drop the body on the pan and do the second round of blocking.i shodnr need a third, crossing my fingers...

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 1956 lowlight restoration Reply with quote

Nice bodywork! Diy is the best way. I've cut and buffed my stuff in the past using a paint stick wrapped in ~600 grit depending on surface, then used 3M's trizact line to remove the scratches from 1500 up to 5000 grit. Then buffed with Meguires 105 and 205.
The trizact discs just attach to your da.

Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 1956 lowlight restoration Reply with quote

Onceler wrote:
Nice bodywork! Diy is the best way. I've cut and buffed my stuff in the past using a paint stick wrapped in ~600 grit depending on surface, then used 3M's trizact line to remove the scratches from 1500 up to 5000 grit. Then buffed with Meguires 105 and 205.
The trizact discs just attach to your da.

Always been my weak point. After doing all that work after I shoot it I lose the energy to focus on doing the cut and buff. I need to find a better way, your tips sound good, thanks.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1956 lowlight restoration Reply with quote

I hear ya. It's a pain at first, but wait about a week after paint and rest up, it's kinda fun then

Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 1956 lowlight restoration Reply with quote

Nice.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: 1956 lowlight restoration Reply with quote

Concur on the color sanding. Its one of the only things I payed someone else to do on my ghia. Best $400 I ever spent. He did in less than 8 hours what would have taken me a month plus I would not have done such a good job.
Having a motor/trans on the pan and deep into the blocking stage is a good place to be on a build...can see the finish line. Then...there is still a lot of sanding left Crying or Very sad
Nice work, great progress, longer days sure help this time of year.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 1956 lowlight restoration Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
Concur on the color sanding. Its one of the only things I payed someone else to do on my ghia. Best $400 I ever spent. He did in less than 8 hours what would have taken me a month plus I would not have done such a good job.
Having a motor/trans on the pan and deep into the blocking stage is a good place to be on a build...can see the finish line. Then...there is still a lot of sanding left Crying or Very sad

I tore up my back color sanding my 356 and ended up with Sciatica that's kept me from walking freely for a month. Worse pain ever next to teeth. If I can find someone good to do it then I will chose that option.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1956 lowlight restoration Reply with quote

Brau, have you started up the engine yet?
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 1956 lowlight restoration Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
Brau, have you started up the engine yet?

No, not yet. Maybe tomorrow. Gotta shoot the interior first.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1956 lowlight restoration Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:

Yeah, for $400 I'd have someone else do it too if that's an option Where you live. I forget not everyone lives in the automotive backwoods
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 1956 lowlight restoration Reply with quote

With a little bribery involving pizza and beer I got three friends and along with my son dropped the body on the pan wit the engine in. Just like the factory. Fit perfect with no muss. I did have to yank the carbs first and later bolted the oil filter on the body.
I then put the doors on and adjusted my gaps by sticking rubber mounts and washers on the rear pan mounting point to close the gap. Looks good. I then torqued the whole mess down using original pan bolts. Since I had though to punch holes in the rubber body gasket ahead of time it went smoothly.
I also shot the dash for the third time. The first two I tried using a touch up gun but it either came out with too much material leading to drips and sags or dry spots. I went to Ace and bought a Preval spray bottle, worked well.
The color is Gazelle Beige, the original color.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1956 lowlight restoration Reply with quote

I really like this thread. That Gazelle Beige colour is coming out very much like my Ghia's Lotus White (as slighty adjusted by my painter guy).

I had my wife, two sons and two daughters-in-law (one pregnant) help me lift my Ghia's body onto the pan. No bribery or beer involved. Just payback for my years of taking care of them
VeloMikey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1956 lowlight restoration Reply with quote

I'm curious... why didn't you shoot the entire interior before mating the body and pan? I think it would be easier than masking and you can cover every nook and cranny.

Ghia Build Thread https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768748
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 1956 lowlight restoration Reply with quote

CerveloMikey wrote:
I'm curious... why didn't you shoot the entire interior before mating the body and pan? I think it would be easier than masking and you can cover every nook and cranny.

I only shoot the areas exposed after the interior is installed. I epoxy prime the interior over the original paint and and repairs. I find that the glue used for the interior adheres better to epoxy primer than urethane paint. The primer seems to have more tooth and has the same corrosion resistance. I know it looks sexy in build threads but has no useful purpose after the interior is installed. The factory didn't even paint the entire imterior other than a courtesy coat except in exposed areas.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 1956 lowlight restoration Reply with quote

I've been sanding and sanding and sanding. One application of poly primer blocked with a soft long pad using 180 grit revealed a lot, so did some tapping here and filling there, so another application of polyprimer again soft block and 180 revealed a few small imperfections, so some more tapping and filling, an now the final spot filling of polyprimer in preparation for the final mechanical sanding at 320 using the long soft block and a light, light touch. Will pull the doors, hood and decklid after I drill and pin them because I like the alignment of the panels.
After I finish that it will be time to tape off and shoot color.
I like the side shots here, looks smooth, no edges kicking out. Pretty happy with the results.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 1956 lowlight restoration Reply with quote

Shot the paint yesterday.
Used a gallon and a quart of single stage Restoration Shop AU Gazelle Beige, four coats total.
Started with an epoxy seal coat.
Decided to hang the panels so I could shoot back and front at the same time.
Got the usual runs, drips, etc so will have to color sand in about three weeks.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 1956 lowlight restoration Reply with quote

Looks great !
aerosilver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 1956 lowlight restoration Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
Shot the paint yesterday

Looking good! Cool
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Page 4 of 13

Jump to: