Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Headlight bucket help
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Humdinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:14 pm    Post subject: Headlight bucket help Reply with quote

Does anywhere know where I could find some chrome 5.75 inch headlight buckets? These came with my buggy and the chrome was in bad shape so I had to paint them for the time being. On the current buckets the wire run thru the mounting bolt... id like to keep this feature but I will settle for external wires if I have to.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
manxdavid
Samba Member

Location: David Jones, Anglesey, North Wales, UK. Manxclub #678.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:20 am    Post subject: Re: Headlight bucket help Reply with quote

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Headlight-bucket-glass-len...mp;vxp=mtr
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
barrist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:28 am    Post subject: Re: Headlight bucket help Reply with quote

This is where I shopped.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/shop/headlights~14-...headlights

Have a Great Day,

Bill
Rockbound
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: Headlight bucket help Reply with quote

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=sear...ht+buckets
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Headlight bucket help Reply with quote

"Barrist" beat me to "Speedway Motors" as a source....

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Humdinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Headlight bucket help Reply with quote

Those last two only come in 7". That top one that manxdavid posted looks like it has a hole in the top for drainage on a motorcycle when it's mounted upside down?
andygere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: Headlight bucket help Reply with quote

Try Meyers Manx. They are the stock supplied units on Manxter 2+2 buggy kits, which are still in production. The quality is just OK, but they do run the wires through the mounting bolt.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlight bucket help Reply with quote

The 5.75 inch buckets are off road lights... NOT standard headlights... Dont think you are going to find small buckets unless you get some off motorcycle chopper merchandising sites....

Friend built buggy and used the small buckets and had to get motorcycle sealed beams to put in off road light buckets to make his setup work...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlight bucket help Reply with quote

The headlight housing you have are for an off road light 100w single filament bulb. They called them a 6in light, but are actually use 5-3/4in bulb. Same size that was used on dual headlight cars and trucks. Most common on General Motors vehicles before square headlight were used.

Summit Racing does carry a brand called, Anzo off road light that look the same size as what you have, the 6in (or 5-3/4in) bulb (reflector).
They are chrome plated. They use the rubber part like yours to hold the bulb.
Summit Racing Part# ANN-821001 and sell for $18.97 each.

I using a different brand on my buggies that are the same size. What I did was use the bolts that came in my other lights that are drilled for the wiring to go through. On the back side where the wiring comes out, I found a plastic plug to fill the hole at Ace Hardware.
For the bulb(reflector) I am using Hella Summit Racing part#HLA-002850001 and H4 55/60W bulbs in them I bought at Walmart.
Motion Tire Motorsports
Having fun with Dune Buggies since 1970
Into Volkswagens since 1960
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlight bucket help Reply with quote

I'm using tractor headlight housings with 5-3/4" hi-low beam Halogen headlight housings/bulbs.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=647537&highlight=

bnc
andygere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlight bucket help Reply with quote

Here they are, complete with high and low sealed beam halogen lamp.

http://meyersmanx.com/buggy-parts/6-headlight-housing.html

Wetstuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Headlight bucket help Reply with quote

HD, Some think the larger, 7" bucket adds a lighthearted character... like that farm gate windshield. If your hood is to stay black, it seems your lamps blend in..? Maybe, matte paint.

Jim
Manx #2614
Bluggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Headlight bucket help Reply with quote

I have been looking at light options and thinking of going with LED's. I am a purist too but at times let practically over ride originality.

I know the halogens will put out decent lighting too and easier to change bulbs, so tossing up between the two. I am one of those who would like to go smaller and lighter (LED's heavier) due to the bumpy roads here and less weight to avoiding cracking paint or fiberglass mounting points.

Here the salt air and beaches will kill chrome stuff easily.

I am also thinking of going two smaller LED lights on the brush guard.

Bluggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Headlight bucket help Reply with quote

barrist wrote:
This is where I shopped.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/shop/headlights~14-...headlights

Have a Great Day,

Bill

Just called them to look at some options, was looking for stainless steel, but their tech said I should go to an off road shop for that.

They have stainless in the 7" size but not much below that..dont know why they would think an off road shop is better???
Bluggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Headlight bucket help Reply with quote

OP take a look at these 5.75" dia, read the description..seems like an OK quality, you will have to use some parts from your old lights if you want mounts to look the same.

I machine my own parts so I can fab something for mine.

Cheers.

https://www.amazon.com/Chrome-Halogen-Motorcycle-H...headlights

NB. The only review is a 1* saying high beam not centered Smile
jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlight bucket help Reply with quote

I did some more searching for the Stainless Steel headlight buckets like the one I am using, that I bought from Summit Racing. Summit no longer carries them.

There is a brand called Rugged Ridge that has the stainless steel headlight buckets like what I have.
They are listed under a 6in off road light #15208.01 in many different places including JEGS and several other off road stores. I am sure that they can be found on both Amazon and Ebay too.
A 6in off road light uses the 5 3/4in headlight bulb.

Rugged Ridge has a site showing all their products.

They are just like your housings, just made out of stainless steel. They have the same rubber mount for the light and and rubber mounting to the body if wanted to use them.
Motion Tire Motorsports
Bluggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlight bucket help Reply with quote

There are some made for 1932 Fords in stainless too for $114.00 a pair but these are 3.5 inches in diameter and use regular bulbs.

They might be modified to use H4 bulbs, not sure how that small will look on the Buggy.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speedway-1932-Ford-...,3024.html

The Rugged Ridge ones I have seen before, not bad looking. You will need to modify it to use an H4 bulb to get both high and low beams. There might be H4 type lights which can fit into these too.
jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlight bucket help Reply with quote

Bluggy, In my first post I said what I did with identical stainless steel housings. I have been using them since 2009.
A 6in off road light use a 5 3/4in size bulb. It fit into the rubber part easily. Yes you have to cut the rubber in 3 places for the part of the bulb/reflector that keeps them in position. Keeps them from rotating.
You can use a standard 5 3/4in seal beam dual filament, halogen, LED, HID, Zenon, or any H4 light in that size.
From the OP picture it looks like it already has the 1/2in mounting bolts that has been drilled for the wire to run through.
Where the wire harness that comes out the back, I remove it and used a black plastic plug to fill the hole.
With the light being rubber mounted the filaments last longer from not having to absorb the shock of using them on rough road conditions.

Yes they are not a shiny as chrome ones, but I got tired of the chrome ones starting to rust in a matter of days of installing.
Motion Tire Motorsports
Bluggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlight bucket help Reply with quote

Hi jsturtlebuggy, thanks for the details and info. Going the route you did seems great and practical.

The 6 inch bucket I think has a nice look, lighter and yes being stainless is a huge plus. I was going for either stainless or LED with the aluminum cooling fins/heat sink.

Gone are the days when Chrome used to be chrome, when your bicycle rims kept its chrome finish forever with all of the abuse.

Even stainless steel was exactly stainless steel back then, now you have to ask the sellers what grade and percentage of stainless they have.

I bought some "stainless steel" bolts and nuts here not too long ago, just out of curiosity I grabbed my pick up magnet to test it, I was not surprised it grabbed them like they had glue on them.

I was thinking of getting the EMPI all "chrome" alternator kit, but since they raised the price on me and thinking the chrome might be a waste of money, I might just get the regular kit.

Cheers.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: