Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

411 wins Lemons at Buttonwillow
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:49 am    Post subject: 411 wins Lemons at Buttonwillow Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

http://www.roadkill.com/24-hours-lemons-index-effluency-winning-volkswagen-411/
24 Hours of Lemons’ Index of Effluency winner
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 411 wins Lemons at Buttonwillow Reply with quote

Awesome!

Its sad they speak so poorly of the vehicle. Much of that is is incorrect.

Its also sad that the person driving this did not know that much about working on a type 4. A basic high miles type 4 car with a good tune up...but otherwise mechanically sound....should have had no issue at all with this track event!

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
titan3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: 411 wins Lemons at Buttonwillow Reply with quote

This car must be about the same time and model 71 as mine. A few months back I mentioned mine didn't have a passenger side mirror or a button covered spot for one. If you notice this 411 is also like that-----no passenger side mirror or accommodation for one. Bob
914sgofast2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 411 wins Lemons at Buttonwillow Reply with quote

The Roadkill article failed to mention that these have the same exact engine as a Porsche 914 with the 1.7 liter engine. It was also probably a big mistake for the Team to remove the FI and replace it with a carb, which is probably why the engine overheated and cooked itself - it was running way too lean at racing speeds with a single, center-mounted carb conversion on it.

If anyone belongs to the "411 Rescue Society" there is one shown for sale at the Stockton, California, Pick-N-Pull website.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 411 wins Lemons at Buttonwillow Reply with quote

914sgofast2 wrote:
The Roadkill article failed to mention that these have the same exact engine as a Porsche 914 with the 1.7 liter engine. It was also probably a big mistake for the Team to remove the FI and replace it with a carb, which is probably why the engine overheated and cooked itself - it was running way too lean at racing speeds with a single, center-mounted carb conversion on it.

If anyone belongs to the "411 Rescue Society" there is one shown for sale at the Stockton, California, Pick-N-Pull website.

I agree!....Thats kind of what I was getting at.

Its one thing to replace the original EFI with a carb(s)...but a center mounted carb is a disaster. It most likely iced up because it has no manifold heat.

Either stock injection or even dual stock solexes or even Kadrons should have had no problems. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ninjacoco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 411 wins Lemons at Buttonwillow Reply with quote

Hey! I'm the new owner of this car, and yeah—it's missing some stuff.

I've definitely got to figure out the carb situation for sure, it's missing its engine tins that separate the engine from the hot exhaust below (!!!), and the previous owner thinks it has a rod knocking. I did a longer write-up of the impending to-do list here, for what it's worth.

If anyone knows where to find any of those bits, please let me know ASAP! The VW-centric junkyard near me (Austin) closed up their used parts biz and I can't seem to find the tins anywhere.

It's my first aircooled, so I'm not 100% sure where to start. My other race car is a 944 that runs in the same series, heh. I'm looking forward to a less complicated car to fix, only, well, I need to fix it in less than a month now. It races again in mid-November.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:46 am    Post subject: Re: 411 wins Lemons at Buttonwillow Reply with quote

ninjacoco wrote:
Hey! I'm the new owner of this car, and yeah—it's missing some stuff.

I've definitely got to figure out the carb situation for sure, it's missing its engine tins that separate the engine from the hot exhaust below (!!!), and the previous owner thinks it has a rod knocking. I did a longer write-up of the impending to-do list here, for what it's worth.

If anyone knows where to find any of those bits, please let me know ASAP! The VW-centric junkyard near me (Austin) closed up their used parts biz and I can't seem to find the tins anywhere.

It's my first aircooled, so I'm not 100% sure where to start. My other race car is a 944 that runs in the same series, heh. I'm looking forward to a less complicated car to fix, only, well, I need to fix it in less than a month now. It races again in mid-November.

Hello! Welcome! ....and thanks for taking a type 4 racing! Very Happy

Just to let you know......the type 4 is NOT less complicated than the 944.
I can build about two 944 engines compared to what it will cost to build one type 4 engine properly....and thats stock.

Post some pictures of the engine and lets get started!. Ray
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: