Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW38 Survivors
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JuanCor600
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:51 am    Post subject: VW38 Survivors Reply with quote

I open this post to count all VW38 survivors. These are the ones I know:

VW38/03:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

VW38/06:

VW38/25: (Replica)

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
allsidius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: VW38 SURVIVORS Reply with quote

Sorry, a fake number plate doesn't count.

Well. The first one is also fake, that car should have IIIA-48003. But I guess it must be counted as the oldest going by the chassis no. (38/03)

The blue one is out.

Hitler's convertible, chassis no 38/31 is still in existense. So is Mathe's Berlin-Rom Rekordwagen, the Porsche Typ 64 or Typ 60K10, chassis no 38/43 later restamped 38/41 apparently. Finally the Typ 60K10 chassis no 38/42, which was recreated on the original chassis a few years ago. I guess it is just as original as no 38/03, which has a 1955 Oval body with some of the unique bits of the original grafted in.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JuanCor600
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: VW38 SURVIVORS Reply with quote

allsidius wrote:

Well. The first one is also fake, that car should have IIIA-48003. But I guess it must be counted as the oldest going by the chassis no. (38/03)

The blue one is out.

Hitler's convertible, chassis no 38/31 is still in existense. So is Mathe's Berlin-Rom Rekordwagen, the Porsche Typ 64 or Typ 60K10, chassis no 38/43 later restamped 38/41 apparently. Finally the Typ 60K10 chassis no 38/42, which was recreated on the original chassis a few years ago. I guess it is just as original as no 38/03, which has a 1955 Oval body with some of the unique bits of the original grafted in.

The first photo, the 38/03 isn´t a fake, is the IIIA-43003 but when it was restored his restorers put in it an incorrect plate, I think.
JuanCor600
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: VW38 SURVIVORS Reply with quote

allsidius wrote:

The blue one is out.

VW38/31:

VW38/42:

splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: VW38 SURVIVORS Reply with quote

Number 3 has the original front hood or at least the upper part, at least the lower part of the front windshield area, dash and trunk floor, possibly the entire roof, the rear window and back part of the roof, engine decklid. Not sure about the fenders but the rears have the dot dash reinforcing ribs so those are later parts. The doors are production split or modified oval. The remaining parts of the body are early oval. Not sure about the pan. Engine is not original.

The car was heavily modified during the war for the use of the wood burning gas generator on the front of the car. After the war when it was put back together using an oval body as the donor.

Number 6 has the original deck lid and doors as well as the basic body shell minus the front and back windows. It was reconstructed using early parts modified as necessary or newly made parts. it has a '39 pan and a super early engine. It is by far more accurately restored than number 3.

Number 3 has a later production decklid handle and currently sports some damage.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
JuanCor600
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: VW38 SURVIVORS Reply with quote

splitjunkie wrote:
Number 3 has the original front hood or at least the upper part, at least the lower part of the front windshield area, dash and trunk floor, possibly the entire roof, the rear window and back part of the roof, engine decklid. Not sure about the fenders but the rears have the dot dash reinforcing ribs so those are later parts. The doors are production split or modified oval. The remaining parts of the body are early oval. Not sure about the pan. Engine is not original.

The car was heavily modified during the war for the use of the wood burning gas generator on the front of the car. After the war when it was put back together using an oval body as the donor.

Number 6 has the original deck lid and doors as well as the basic body shell minus the front and back windows. It was reconstructed using early parts modified as necessary or newly made parts. it has a '39 pan and a super early engine. It is by far more accurately restored than number 3.

Number 3 has a later production decklid handle and currently sports some damage.

Excellent information
allsidius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: VW38 SURVIVORS Reply with quote

splitjunkie wrote:
Not sure about the fenders but the rears have the dot dash reinforcing ribs so those are later parts

The fenders definetely üsed to be pressed standard parts, but looking at the latest pictures I am not sure if they haven't been replaced with hand made ones like the ones Grundmanns made for no 06. Not that they are originals, but at least they are as close as possible, with headlight pods welded on and smoothed out with lead filler. The edges around the headlight rims seem sharper now, on par with the first few prototypes, before the final headlight design was settled upon.

Does anybody know if 03 has got new front fenders?

JuanCor600
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:58 am    Post subject: Re: VW38 Survivors Reply with quote

Another survivor, VW38/33.

splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: VW38 SURVIVORS Reply with quote

allsidius wrote:
splitjunkie wrote:
Not sure about the fenders but the rears have the dot dash reinforcing ribs so those are later parts

The fenders definetely üsed to be pressed standard parts, but looking at the latest pictures I am not sure if they haven't been replaced with hand made ones like the ones Grundmanns made for no 06. Not that they are originals, but at least they are as close as possible, with headlight pods welded on and smoothed out with lead filler. The edges around the headlight rims seem sharper now, on par with the first few prototypes, before the final headlight design was settled upon.

I just saw number 3 last Sunday. I will post some pictures.

JuanCor600
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: VW38 SURVIVORS Reply with quote

splitjunkie wrote:
allsidius wrote:
splitjunkie wrote:

I just saw number 3 last Sunday. I will post some pictures.

I hope to see the photos, it's beautiful the VW38.
allsidius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: VW38 Survivors Reply with quote

JuanCor600 wrote:
Another survivor, VW38/33.

If it was it would be a sensation. However, the presence of 21 louvres instead of 24 as for the VW38 series makes this a later model. The license plate means nothing.

splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: VW38 Survivors Reply with quote

The first batch of VW38's had 24 louvers per side along with the squared off corner decklid an almost squared off front hood. The second batch had the curved corner decklid and hood. Did they still have 24 louvers per side?

Undis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: VW38 Survivors Reply with quote

There are only three survivors that are known to exist.

VW38/03 – at the VW museum
VW38/06 – Grundmann collection
VW38/31 – at the VW museum

Putting a IIIA-430xx licence plate on a car does not make it a VW38!

All three cars are very well known and documented with plenty of period photos available.

To answer Splitjunkie’s question above, from my research I’ve been able to determine some milestones in the evolution of the VW38.

It is supposed that there were 44 cars of the VW38 series built.

Cars 1 to 6 had pull out handles on the front and rear lids. This was changed to an L handle as of car 7.

Cars 1 to 24* had L handles on the doors (outside) and high/mid mounted inner door handles. This was changed as of car 25 with the outer handles being the “ice pick type” and the inner handle located further to the front and lower.

Cars 1 to 24* had square corners on the deck-lid with the rear corners being rounded as of car 25.

Cars 1 to 29 had square corners on the front hood with the front corners being rounded as of car 30.

* there is a problem with car 24 as only a single incomplete photo exists without any of these details positively confirmable.

Another problem is that the further we go down the track the less photos exist of cars beyond numbers 26 and 27 making it all so harder. I’m faced with many frustrations trying to figure out the changes in details of the later VW38s.

As for the 24 air-slots per side – all of the known photos confirm that the VW38s had this feature and is a sure way of identifying them. The 21 slots per side started with the VW39 when the whole body was redesigned. I may just add here that the VW38/31 cabriolet has 25 air-slots per side!
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: VW38 Survivors Reply with quote

Undis wrote:
The 21 slots per side started with the VW39 when the whole body was redesigned.

I would love to see a side-by-side design study of this. To most people, most bugs look the same, and the 38s and 39s certainly do. I think the subtle nuances of the changes would be fascinating.
JuanCor600
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: VW38 Survivors Reply with quote

Undis wrote:
There are only three survivors that are known to exist.

VW38/03 – at the VW museum
VW38/06 – Grundmann collection
VW38/31 – at the VW museum

Putting a IIIA-430xx licence plate on a car does not make it a VW38!

All three cars are very well known and documented with plenty of period photos available.

To answer Splitjunkie’s question above, from my research I’ve been able to determine some milestones in the evolution of the VW38.

It is supposed that there were 44 cars of the VW38 series built.

Cars 1 to 6 had pull out handles on the front and rear lids. This was changed to an L handle as of car 7.

Cars 1 to 24* had L handles on the doors (outside) and high/mid mounted inner door handles. This was changed as of car 25 with the outer handles being the “ice pick type” and the inner handle located further to the front and lower.

Cars 1 to 24* had square corners on the deck-lid with the rear corners being rounded as of car 25.

Cars 1 to 29 had square corners on the front hood with the front corners being rounded as of car 30.

* there is a problem with car 24 as only a single incomplete photo exists without any of these details positively confirmable.

Another problem is that the further we go down the track the less photos exist of cars beyond numbers 26 and 27 making it all so harder. I’m faced with many frustrations trying to figure out the changes in details of the later VW38s.

As for the 24 air-slots per side – all of the known photos confirm that the VW38s had this feature and is a sure way of identifying them. The 21 slots per side started with the VW39 when the whole body was redesigned. I may just add here that the VW38/31 cabriolet has 25 air-slots per side!

Thanks for the info!

Only three survivors? Do you know the rumor of someone else?
allsidius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: VW38 Survivors Reply with quote

Undis' summary of the cars built to the VW38 series is excellent, as always.

Here is a list of all the chassis numbers, note that among a few others, cars 41 to 43 are missing.

I take no honor in compiling the lists, if anyone knows who did, please drop me a PM and I will amend.

Several entries are missing, for instance no 38/14. Chris Barber assumes this chassis was taken for early Kübelwagen trials and received new chassis numbers under type 62 series.

These are the Berlin-Rom Rekordwagen, which was built on VW 38 chassis.
This list show the three Typ 60K10 cars missing in the list above.

JuanCor600
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: VW38 Survivors Reply with quote

allsidius wrote:
Undis' summary of the cars built to the VW38 series is excellent, as always.

Here is a list of all the chassis numbers, note that among a few others, cars 41 to 43 are missing.

I take no honor in compiling the lists, if anyone knows who did, please drop me a PM and I will amend.

Several entries are missing, for instance no 38/14. Chris Barber assumes this chassis was taken for early Kübelwagen trials and received new chassis numbers under type 62 series.

These are the Berlin-Rom Rekordwagen, which was built on VW 38 chassis.
This list show the three Typ 60K10 cars missing in the list above.

Nice info, thanks for the lists.
allsidius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: VW38 Survivors Reply with quote

Chassis no 38/14, missing in the list above, was transferred to the Kübelwagen program, according to Chris Barber. It received this curvy body as the second Kübel prototype (the first was made on a W30 chassis) and ended as a get-around vehicle at Hitler's Alpine retreat.

Also 38/35 ended up as a Kübel prototype.

splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: VW38 Survivors Reply with quote

This thread is required reading.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=340552

allsidius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: VW38 Survivors Reply with quote

splitjunkie wrote:
This thread is required reading.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=340552

Epic!

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: