Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Glow plug issue
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:46 pm    Post subject: Glow plug issue Reply with quote

I bought an '02 jetta TDI a year and a half ago, suspected the glow plugs were weak and bought a new set. When trying to install them just now 3 were stupid, ridiculous, idiotic tight and the 4th turned easily and for ever without coming out at all.

Is this a common issue and am I right in suspecting the head has to come off to fix the treads?
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Glow plug issue Reply with quote

Our '02 Golf had a glow plug issue about five years ago. It turned out it needed a new harness. (I didn't do the manual labor so I can't testify to tightness or lack thereof, so I don't know if my answer is relevant.) Anyway, we haven't had an issue since.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:01 am    Post subject: Re: Glow plug issue Reply with quote

Maybe, maybe not. That issue could still be pending. This one I believe is a problem of bad threads in the head.

Thanks. Merv
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: Glow plug issue Reply with quote

I suspect that you could source a good used head for what you'd be looking at to repair the threads in the existing one, especially if you plan to remove the head to do so.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: Glow plug issue Reply with quote

Mercedes has this same issue and with a little bit of skill with a dremel, you can save the head. You probably do not have to remove the head either.

The trick is that you need to cut a small section between the threads and the glow plug seat. Once you can cut through that section of the glow plug, then the tension on the threads is greatly reduced. Easy out the threaded section and pull the tip out. I've done it several times but not on a VW.

Done wrong, your head is junk.

Mercedes has a tool that can install heli-coils after you drill the plug out. It might work for this situation too.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Glow plug issue Reply with quote

Butcher wrote:
Mercedes has this same issue and with a little bit of skill with a dremel, you can save the head. You probably do not have to remove the head either.

The trick is that you need to cut a small section between the threads and the glow plug seat. Once you can cut through that section of the glow plug, then the tension on the threads is greatly reduced. Easy out the threaded section and pull the tip out. I've done it several times but not on a VW.

Done wrong, your head is junk.

Mercedes has a tool that can install heli-coils after you drill the plug out. It might work for this situation too.

Unfortunately, this is not possible in the VW diesels as the seat of the glow plug is in the cylinder head, beyond the threads. The "seat" is the taper just above the element on the plug, when the glow plugs are over torqued, this seat pinched down on the element & shorts the plug.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: Glow plug issue Reply with quote

Thanks very much for the replies fellows. Some good well thought out suggestions.

I do believe what is happening is the aluminum threads have galled up and transferred from the head to the glow plug, and the whole mess is just turning round and round either way you turn it. That is exactly the way I found it so someone else knows it's that way too. (there is always a reason a car is sold eh?)
Now if the plug had actually moved upward at all when loosening it I would say it was just carbon build up giving me grief and working it back and forth should break that free and let the plug come out. But, the plug is still right down against the head after many turns to remove it. The thing that surprises me is that it has not blown out while we were driving it!

Now that would wake you up!! We put a few hours on it on the highway yesterday and all seems well...

Yes, I think looking for a good used head may be the best answer.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: Glow plug issue Reply with quote

If you can get the other plugs to let go, I'd just replace those & rock that bitch as it is.

Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Glow plug issue Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:

Unfortunately, this is not possible in the VW diesels as the seat of the glow plug is in the cylinder head, beyond the threads. The "seat" is the taper just above the element on the plug, when the glow plugs are over torqued, this seat pinched down on the element & shorts the plug.

I do not think you understand what I'm saying. It can work and does work on Mercedes. VW uses a similar plug so although I have not done it on a VW, I cannot image it will not work. Room to swing your tools would be the only issue I can see.

You need to get a small ball grinder. Drill/cut the upper section of the glow plug to get rid of the stud so you can removed the insides of the glow plug tube. Install the ball tipped grinder far enough to get past the threads and cut the side of the glow plug until the it separates. Then that reduces the tension on the plugs and it comes fairly easy. A slide hammer will get the insides out. This job is not for the average DIY'er and if you cut too much into the glow plug then you could ruin the head.

Again, you are cutting the glow plug into two sections inside the head. The cut needs to happen between the threads and tapered seat. Another way to think about it is that you would hack saw the glow plug between the threads and taper seat, but you're doing it from the inside.

I understand this will not work with the OP [his is stripped] but again, Mercedes does make a tool that will allow a helicoil to repair the threads [after the plug is out].
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: